Economy

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Geoffers
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Matt Black

Economy

Post by Geoffers »

Hi.
I've got a new PCX125 which still hasn't reached its first 600 mile service. I commute eight miles each direction per day in stop-start city traffic and am averaging 129mpg, which isn't too shabby at all.
I don't have the idle-stop on all the time because sometimes the traffic is stop-start-stop-start-stop-start and I get nervous about the battery.

What I have noticed is that the fuel economy dips at the start of the journey and then improves after about four miles. I guess that's because the engine just needs time to get to optimum temperature. How does that fit with your experience?
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Re: Economy

Post by j.d.b. »

Cold motors have higher fuel demand. Cold weather exacerbates this, as well. That would be pretty much every liquid-fuelled motorist's experience. That's some mighty fair fuel economy you're getting.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I never use idle-stop and commute 9 miles each way across london - average is 135mpg - '15 PCX.
The mpg meter is not that accurate after a full tank fill-up and will take a bit of time to stabilise once you get going and the level of fuel and distance settles down.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Geoffers wrote:I don't have the idle-stop on all the time because sometimes the traffic is stop-start-stop-start-stop-start and I get nervous about the battery.
The new facelift model has a protection feature whereby it disables the idle-stop if the battery gets low.
So theoretically the idle-stop can't flatten the battery.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Geoffers wrote:Hi.
I've got a new PCX125 which still hasn't reached its first 600 mile service. I commute eight miles each direction per day in stop-start city traffic and am averaging 129mpg, which isn't too shabby at all.
I don't have the idle-stop on all the time because sometimes the traffic is stop-start-stop-start-stop-start and I get nervous about the battery.

What I have noticed is that the fuel economy dips at the start of the journey and then improves after about four miles. I guess that's because the engine just needs time to get to optimum temperature. How does that fit with your experience?

We're probably not that anxious or concerned about it to your level of detail
Geoffers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Geoffers »

Be fair dude. We're on a forum where people disassemble 125 scooters to get a few more MPH; where new exhausts and variators get fitted to improve acceleratuon; where entire threads are committed to top boxes and windscreens. I didn't think it was inappropriate to think about the fuel economy on short trips.

And even if I'm wrong, I see no need for you to be a dick about it.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

Geoffers wrote:

Be fair dude. We're on a forum where people disassemble 125 scooters to get a few more MPH; where new exhausts and variators get fitted to improve acceleratuon; where entire threads are committed to top boxes and windscreens. I didn't think it was inappropriate to think about the fuel economy on short trips.

And even if I'm wrong, I see no need for you to be a dick about it.
If I may please interject Geoffers since you're fairly new - you should know that you you is the forum's resident curmudgeon. Once you get to know him you'll love him :D. But back to your original post - I think your engine is exhibiting normal behavior - congrats and enjoy your new PCX!

2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Sounds normal. Cold engine = richer mixture, poorer fuel economy.
Geoffers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Geoffers »

Thanks for the input chaps (apart from one, obviously)
Smee

Post by Smee »

If you reset the trip meter often it will fluctuate more. The higher the trip mileage the less the av mpg will go up and down.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

youyou and gator comedy show :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: too funny

just roll with it... no one cares
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:youyou and gator comedy show :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: too funny

just roll with it... no one cares

:D :D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I'm just tossing in a few words (few? Me?) JOKE!!!

No way do I get everyone's personality in life or on our forums but, the more I read here the more I get to know ya'll. Okay, maybe "know" is the wrong word, but you get my drift right? I think? :roll:
Oh heck, if I don't get something, like something or understand whatever .....swoosh! I turn the friggin' page :D Be gone you silly threaded post! Seriously....

We're a good group, we've come along way, and best part...we're doing it together! Yeh! So we roll on with the punches and throw a few back whilst keeping the peace ;)

Afterall, there's a lot of sh_t going down out in our Bigger World!
So yeah, I Feel A Group Hug Coming On.

"See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Heal Me....."

(Just a few words, my arse!)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

By the way geoffers, you offered a very good dicussion for those that are concerned about scooter fuel economy. Mr. 2yous and even myself just aren't worried about mpg or burning less/more. Just us. We're old(er)...we got that olde "attitude" thang going on.
I'm glad, (I am!) that you care. Some of us should. I calls it.....balance. Tis a good thing ;)
I'm happy you're among us. Cheers!! :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:By the way geoffers, you offered a very good dicussion for those that are concerned about scooter fuel economy. Mr. 2yous and even myself just aren't worried about mpg or burning less/more. Just us. We're old(er)...we got that olde "attitude" thang going on.
I'm glad, (I am!) that you care. Some of us should. I calls it.....balance. Tis a good thing ;)
I'm happy you're among us. Cheers!! :P

Where's my half shoelace....
Geoffers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Geoffers »

No matter, anyway. I've just reduced my fuel economy by fitting a big Fabbri screen (pic when I get daylight). I can't very well be fussy about fluctuating MPG when I've made the bike about as aerodynamic as a wall!
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

Geoffers wrote:No matter, anyway. I've just reduced my fuel economy by fitting a big Fabbri screen (pic when I get daylight). I can't very well be fussy about fluctuating MPG when I've made the bike about as aerodynamic as a wall!
If it makes you feel any better you'll still be getting way better mileage with your idle-stop equipped 125 than I'll ever get on my no idle-stop 150 :(
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

In countries or states where you are allowed to filter, idle-stop will not make that much impact on fuel savings. If your not allowed to filter then yes, idle stop will save the engine wasting fuel for large parts of a journey.
I never use it and still get superb economy. My journey to work takes just over 20 minutes whereas it takes on average double that to get home due to peak time traffic - and I filter where I can. If I used idle stop going home, even with filtering it would kick in quite a bit and it's just not worth using for 10's of seconds non movement.
Geoffers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Geoffers »

I'm not using the idle stop. That's for two reasons -

1) I want the engine to run in before the first 600 mile service.
2) The commute can be a lot of stop-start which would be a drain on the battery. Someone's pointed out that the latest PCX monitors the battery and disables the idle stop if the drain is too much, but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

After the first service, if I'm out on a clear run then I'll switch the idle stop on. Otherwise, not so much.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

The LED versions also have an up-rated battery along with the 'intelligent' idle-stop disabling. It's not just a sharp cut-off point but some kind of graph (shown in the service manual). Either way, unless your hitting the occasional stop at lights and not every few minutes, I feel it's not worth having the bike cut-off and on again too frequently.