Like these helmets?

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Re: Like these helmets?

Post by sendler2112 »

Wow! $240. Lazer Monaco. Finally a great price on a really nice modular helmet complete with Lumino photo-chromic pinlock visor for fog free/ glare free vision. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/lazer-monaco-helmet
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

Discontinued?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/lazer-monaco-helmet
sendler2112 wrote:Wow! $240. Lazer Monaco. Finally a great price on a really nice modular helmet complete with Lumino photo-chromic pinlock visor for fog free/ glare free vision. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/lazer-monaco-helmet
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Many dealers run 'special offer's and clearance sales on helmets which look to be a great deal, thing is during my bike training the instructors mentioned plastic/polycarbonate shells have a shelf life of about 3-4 years after which the shell gets brittle, hence dealers try and flog old stock cheaply. They also said that's why it's good to by in store to check the manufacture date as you can get a 3 year old helmet sold as new purchasing on-line.

Whether the ageing of the shell really matters for urban use questionable, but if the shell does get more brittle with age then maybe it's best to pay the little extra and get a newer production run verion if you ride fast. Any truth in it - not sure.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

looks like Revzilla is selling off the entir LaZer line of helmets at 40% off.
http://www.revzilla.com/lazer-helmets
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

iceman wrote:during my bike training the instructors mentioned plastic/polycarbonate shells have a shelf life of about 3-4 years after which the shell gets brittle Any truth in it - not sure.
Old school technology from the '60s maybe. The only real issue now is the foam which still generally lasts forever.
“The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.”
Ben2talk
Year: 2015
Color: Grey/black

Post by Ben2talk »

I have a black n white chinless helmet.
The sides fit over my ears snugly and cut noise down - but the visor (always up and with paper stuck inside to shade the sun 'cos it's hot here) does tend to whistle a bit.
Big upgrade... similar feeling of losing some weight moving from a bigger bike and I'm not really so worried after 30 years riding that my head really needs that much protection.

However, I do still remember an FZ50 rider in England who hit a bus. I have very vivid memories of the way his chin was hanging from a long stretch of skin.... his jaw basically got ripped off.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/bennn/389324]
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

In honor of: Star Wars The Force Awakens

V3 Star Wars R2D2 LE (limited edition) ouu weeee!
$1,000.00 gets you one
Note: Limited Stock Available

Get yours now...Free Shipping! :lol:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/78 ... s%20helmet
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (46.18 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (47.08 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Yep the jaw seems to receive that majority of the damage in many motorcycle wrecks. They have those stats well documented. The HD skull caps basically protect nothing that is normally injured.
Ben2talk wrote:I have a black n white chinless helmet.
The sides fit over my ears snugly and cut noise down - but the visor (always up and with paper stuck inside to shade the sun 'cos it's hot here) does tend to whistle a bit.
Big upgrade... similar feeling of losing some weight moving from a bigger bike and I'm not really so worried after 30 years riding that my head really needs that much protection.

However, I do still remember an FZ50 rider in England who hit a bus. I have very vivid memories of the way his chin was hanging from a long stretch of skin.... his jaw basically got ripped off.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

SECoda/tbln930
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Cool. I thought a while ago it would be pretty easy to do an R2D2 likeness.
WhiteNoise wrote:In honor of: Star Wars The Force Awakens

V3 Star Wars R2D2 LE (limited edition) ouu weeee!
$1,000.00 gets you one
Note: Limited Stock Available

Get yours now...Free Shipping! :lol:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/78 ... s%20helmet

SECoda/tbln930
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

How about this Schuberth E1 Adventure? It's Costly, I know.

I've liked this style for awhile. Let's just say we have the money, would you buy one or would it look silly atop a PCX'er's head? Do any of you wear sporty lids like this? If so, why this type, are there advantages? Are they noisey, heavy, or bulkier than a full face or modular? Venting?
In a fall (gosh forbid), would the exterior visor make matters worse...meaning would it cause more damage to oneself? That thought does cross my mind when I see a rider go by wearing one.
(I'm thinking I'm not the only one that likes this style lid that might have questions, so I be asking :D )

2much blah, blah, blah! put up the dang picture WN!
and some Info...thanks to Revzilla ;)

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schu ... eviews_tab
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (17.66 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Its no good if it doesn't fit you.
Needs to be properly confirmed that it fits your head.
If it does fit you and if it does get a good rating from Sharp, who gives a toss what it looks like?
Helmets are safety kit not fashion accessories.
Schuberth helmets generally don't have Sharp ratings commensurate with the price tag.
Linky
Price is no guarantee of safety.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I own a schuberth,Araia and two scorpion modulars, which helmet do i grab the most? one of the scorpions....great value and fit.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Check these cheapies out, mine fits great and looks way more epensive than it costs. Here in FL we're not bound to wear these, but for for longer trips I wear it. Jet pilot Pilot style similar to the blade. DOT approved.
http://www.amazon.com/PGR-OP01-Scooter- ... s=pgr+op01
Attachments
pgr op01.jpg
pgr op01.jpg (22.33 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
JonW
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JonW »

I really like my HJC IS-33 helmet. Comfortable, easy to use, good ventilation, and builtin retractable sunshade.
Jon W
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

It's gotten hot here in Columbia, so I had a chance to test my latest helmet yesterday in 98 F and humid heat.

It (a Shoei GT-AIR full-face helmet) was GREAT--it blew through more air (with the face shield closed) than any of my open-faced helmets and it has a thumb tab that makes it easy to open the face shield when I stop.

The sun visor is also really nice and easy to use. And it fits better than my older helmets and is better balanced, so it feels lighter than it is.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Wow DR you sound mighty happy with your new GT Air!
I love hearing that :P What color did you choose, better yet...can you show us a pic? That's an excellent lid. I considered one myself but then bought my On Sale white Schuberth C3.
You did good! Quieter, lighter, and comfy, I bet! 8)
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

Yes it's very quiet too, I forgot to say that.

I tried to get a picture of it outside on my scooter, but both visors and the camera lens fogged up immediately.

So instead...
Attachments
Helmet.jpg
Helmet.jpg (216.64 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DailyRider wrote:Yes it's very quiet too, I forgot to say that.

I tried to get a picture of it outside on my scooter, but both visors and the camera lens fogged up immediately.

So instead...

Get a pin lock insert.
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DailyRider »

you you wrote:
DailyRider wrote:Yes it's very quiet too, I forgot to say that.

So instead...
Get a pin lock insert.
It came with one that fits into the face shield, but I haven't tried it yet.
Those Shoei folks never miss a marketing opportunity ;)

Currently it's 33 C (91 F) with severe thunderstorms rolling through the area, so I won't be riding soon.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh that awful humidity! I remember it well and....my camera lens fogging up! Arg!
Must acclimate Lid and Camera first outside. I figured that one out before I died of heat exhaustion.
Sorry about the storms DR, I hates 'em Big!

Alrighty you got a pic, of your GT Air. It's Metallic Gray? I love having a sun visor, forget those sunglass stems pressing hard on yer upper ear flaps. Ouch! Over that! But, bring those sunglasses along just the same, tote em in your glove ( :lol: ) box.
Will you wear this lid all summer long? I would ;) When they fit right, they Feel yummy! :P