BP Ultimate unleaded fuel

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

proteinsdef
Year: 2013
Color: Black

BP Ultimate unleaded fuel

Post by proteinsdef »

I have been trying to stick with filling up with 97 RON BP Ultimate

http://www.bp.com/en_gb/bp-plus/uk/why- ... eaded.html

It states it has anti friction, engine cleaning properties. MY PCX is my main transport and am desperate to get as many miles out of the little unit I can so thought adding a premium fuel could only be a good thing.

Now starting to wonder if its worth it in such a small engine and does the PCX have the capability to know the change in Octane?.

Are the additives they stick in the fuels more harm than a benefit?

On another note on start up the engine power is a little sluggish until the engine is warmed, wondering if the two are connected?
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Re: BP Ultimate unleaded fuel

Post by Oyabun »

proteinsdef wrote:I have been trying to stick with filling up with 97 RON BP Ultimate

http://www.bp.com/en_gb/bp-plus/uk/why- ... eaded.html

It states it has anti friction, engine cleaning properties.
Well, they have to sell the premium price somehow. As much organic gunk is blended into normal fuels nowdays it might be enough to not to put those in and sell it as premium.
proteinsdef wrote:Now starting to wonder if its worth it in such a small engine and does the PCX have the capability to know the change in Octane?.
It has no such "feeling" sensor or algorithm. Usually such are used to detect eg. knock and remove some engine load by altering ignition advance or fueling - but they are rather installed to protect an engine from bad fuel - harly to compensate for better quality. Between us - the PCX has been designed to return some 100++ MPG. How much your consumption should go down to recover for the premium price of fuel you put in the tank?
proteinsdef wrote:Are the additives they stick in the fuels more harm than a benefit?
I'm by no way a chemist, and cannot comment on that. But I remember seeing some debates on this very forum about additives (mainly oil though)
proteinsdef wrote:On another note on start up the engine power is a little sluggish until the engine is warmed, wondering if the two are connected?
This one is perfectly normal. It is called warming up - and frankly speaking one should not really push any engine until it has reached normal operating temperature.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

How many times can we have this post?

Fill it up up with whatever you want. Make it expensive/exclusive if it makes you feel speshul.

Your teeny weeny scooter might not notice but you will
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

I use vpower, and sometimes whale farts.
aka DrewJW
proteinsdef

Post by proteinsdef »

I know the posts been done to death, just wants to clarify. Now whales farting that's a different subject all together!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

My PCX has been used day in day out for near on 18 months and is very fuel efficient and rides like a dream - my average mpg is 136mpg true figures (fuel in vs trip miles). I've only ever used Asda normal unleaded due to the petrol station being mile from me and on my way to work. Cheapest fuel (currently £1.04 litre) and never given a problem as it's 97RON so more than Honda calls for anyway. They all meet the stringent requirements for fuel and have additives to help the engine.

If you pay more all your doing is making others rich and yourself poorer. Higher spec fuels such as super-premium platinum blahdy blahdy blah are suited for high performance sports cars or fuel hungry BMV's or such - not the lowly and fantastic PCX.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

proteinsdef wrote:Now whales farting that's a different subject all together!
Oh God, Funny! :lol: :lol: Thanks for the laugh at 11pm!
Pleeze! No Dreams of whales farting! :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:My PCX has been used day in day out for near on 18 months and is very fuel efficient and rides like a dream - my average mpg is 136mpg true figures (fuel in vs trip miles). I've only ever used Asda normal unleaded due to the petrol station being mile from me and on my way to work. Cheapest fuel (currently £1.04 litre) and never given a problem as it's 97RON so more than Honda calls for anyway. They all meet the stringent requirements for fuel and have additives to help the engine.

If you pay more all your doing is making others rich and yourself poorer. Higher spec fuels such as super-premium platinum blahdy blahdy blah are suited for high performance sports cars or fuel hungry BMV's or such - not the lowly and fantastic PCX.

£1.04 isn't bad. Lowest I've seen is £1.059
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by Tom192 »

I run mine on v power it's better on fuel economy and I think it runs a little smoother
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

These machines are meant to run on any premium pump gas and I'm sure in many third world countries they run problem free on less. Find a local station that uses a lot of gas, get their best premium , and don't get gas there if they are refilling the underground tanks that day.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
proteinsdef

Post by proteinsdef »

That makes sense. I dont think BP Ultimate is all that popular as it takes a while to come through the pumps, makes me wonder how long its been sat there. In the UK we have minumum 95 RON and the manual states 91?. I think.
Thanks for the input everyone, clarifies things.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Get the cheapest local to you, do not use the expensive stuff, its the wrong fuel for a PCX.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

In the home of the PCX, most would use E10 because it is cheaper. By all means use one tank of V-Power/Caltex with Techron/BP Ultimate every now and again as they do have cleaners in them. Caltex/Texaco might be the best.

There is no benefit to using 95 if the engine is designed for 91. The higher the octane the slower the burn rate,
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

91 isn't normally available in the UK. 95 is regular fuel here. Super unleaded ranges from 97 to 99 depending on we're you go.
Leafeh
Year: 2015 PCX125

Post by Leafeh »

To be honest I merely fill up with Unleaded.. :lol:
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Leafeh wrote:To be honest I merely fill up with Unleaded.. :lol:
Yep, use any but the normal base variety is fine. Unless this happens!
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/asda-filling- ... ml#Z83k55N
Ratster
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ratster »

Jge64 wrote:These machines are meant to run on any premium pump gas and I'm sure in many third world countries they run problem free on less. Find a local station that uses a lot of gas, get their best premium , and don't get gas there if they are refilling the underground tanks that day.
If they are moving a lot of gas,fueling while they are replenishing the tanks is a non issue. Fuel isn't pumped right off from the bottom of the tank and the filters (tank and pumps) are better than what is on your car.

Now mom & pops country store out in bum fuc&$@ nowhere is a different story.

I'm by no means an expert but I do work in the industry daily delivering fuel and a little bit of pump maintenance when/if needed.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Ratster wrote:
Jge64 wrote:These machines are meant to run on any premium pump gas and I'm sure in many third world countries they run problem free on less. Find a local station that uses a lot of gas, get their best premium , and don't get gas there if they are refilling the underground tanks that day.
If they are moving a lot of gas,fueling while they are replenishing the tanks is a non issue. Fuel isn't pumped right off from the bottom of the tank and the filters (tank and pumps) are better than what is on your car.

Now mom & pops country store out in bum fuc&$@ nowhere is a different story.

I'm by no means an expert but I do work in the industry daily delivering fuel and a little bit of pump maintenance when/if needed.
LOL also 40 years in the auto industry , personally I'd still wait until the next day. do what makes you happy!
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI