It's a scooter thing...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

It's a scooter thing...

Post by honkerman »

...and they just don't understand. About two months ago, I had a conversation with a co-worker. She just couldn't understand why someone would travel alone on a scooter for over 300 miles...A few days ago, it dipped below 40 degrees (Fahrenheit). I showed up at work in my cold weather outfit and she was shocked that I find it fun to ride in the cold. She just couldn't wrap her head around it... I have a theory:

http://scootinfool.blogspot.com/2015/10 ... thing.html
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: It's a scooter thing...

Post by gn2 »

40 fahrenheit isn't really properly cold.
If the roads are clear and dry therefore no ice I'll happily ride much colder than that.
The only thing which stops me riding these days is snow and/or ice, however once upon a time I would regularly ride through deep snow.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:40 fahrenheit isn't really properly cold.
If the roads are clear and dry therefore no ice I'll happily ride much colder than that.
The only thing which stops me riding these days is snow and/or ice, however once upon a time I would regularly ride through deep snow.
I know that, and you know that, but she couldn't process it. It was rather funny. She went nearly apoplectic when I mentioned that I ride in temperatures as low as 15 degrees...The only reason I never rode in colder weather is that my old scooter wouldn't start when it got colder than that. Riding any kind of distance in sub-freezing temperatures isn't really my cup of tea, but I will commute if I'm working closer to home at the time.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Love my scoot but it's around town, due to the light weight, I'll take the car for long trips.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

It's a two wheel thing in general, although there tends to be a lot more fair weather riders in the motorcycling world than there are in the scooter world.

It was -2C or 28F this morning. I had a chat with a motorcyclist on the elevator who commented there aren't a lot of us anymore. There are still 4 riders in my building, myself, him in a dual sport or adventure touring type bike, an SV650, and a Burgman 400, so a 1:1 ratio, whereas in the summer it was more of a 4:1 ratio. One scooter did disappear though about a couple of weeks ago -- a Piaggio Fly 50 that is physically bigger than my Vino 125... o_O
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

As the old saying goes: four wheels moves the body, two wheels moves the soul.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

gn2 wrote:As the old saying goes: four wheels moves the body, two wheels moves the soul.
Cheers to that.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
WI_Hedgehog