2016 PCX

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

OldGuy

2016 PCX

Post by OldGuy »

I read that the 2016 PCX is now out. I am curious if they stuck with the lower gearing of the 2015 versus the 2013 or possibly when back to faster high speeds. I bought the shop manual (just contemplating if I want to try the 2500 mile valve check myself) and it typically give one procedure for the 2013 model and then an "after 2013" procedure. There seems to be considerable differences in the plastics mainly between the two models. Unless they come up with a new shop manual for the 2016, I assume they intend to stick with the 2015 design for a while. While 60 mph is plenty fast for the light weight PCX there are still rare occasions where I would like to be able to go 70 or a little more.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Re: 2016 PCX

Post by waspmike »

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

If they add ABS, a removable cover to get to the valves (or the battery box mod someone posted about long ago), a seat that does not tilt so much down towards the front, and - well, not much else, it would be almost perfect.
What would people like above the '15 models? The '15 version seems really great. I guess many would add 'replace the IRC's!' but I've never had issue with them in all weathers 365 days/yr. Honda have the Forza 125 for faster speed and ABS - so not much incentive to make the PCX 125 (UK/Europe) much faster else it starts to compete too much for the £1200 difference in price.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

^ yep. Forza is a 4-valve engine at about 14hp vs 11.5. but PCX is smaller and 30 kgs lighter! Forza has ABS so there is a little weight.
However it is supposed to be based on the same engine so look out for forthcoming 4-valve conversions for the PCX? Maybe?
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Too bad that they are not offering a 150cc version of the Forza 125 in the USA. It seems to have lots of good features: adjustable windshield, 4 valve head, and higher top speed. It is heavier though.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

I have to assume the 150 thing is a requirement in some states for riding on certain roads?

What states have such a requirement?

They might do it if they think there is enough market? The PCX 150 is not that much faster than a 125. OK it has 2hp more but...

Who would pay the $1500 more. As I believe that is the difference in Europe.
I guess many would add 'replace the IRC's!'
Then you'll lose a bit of top speed as not all replacements are the same diameter!
marcdman4000
Year: 2016 PCX150
Color: Flat Metallic S

Post by marcdman4000 »

I got a 2016 150 on sunday. It rides great. Lots of new upgrades from my 2011 125. It only has a 100.00 higher msrp than my 125 had brand new. So it's a totally good buy. I've only been able to get it up on 60mph. However that was on surface streets. I haven't taken it on the freeway yet. If anyone has any questions I'll try my best to answer. I got a sweet flat metallic silver color.I read the 2016 150 is just over 13hp.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

waspmike wrote:I have to assume the 150 thing is a requirement in some states for riding on certain roads?

They might do it if they think there is enough market? The PCX 150 is not that much faster than a 125. OK it has 2hp more but...

Then you'll lose a bit of top speed as not all replacements are the same diameter!
We don't have a 125cc restriction for new riders in North America, which is the main reason for the popularity of 125s in the UK.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by GatorGreg »

dkazzed wrote:
waspmike wrote:I have to assume the 150 thing is a requirement in some states for riding on certain roads?

We don't have a 125cc restriction for new riders in North America, which is the main reason for the popularity of 125s in the UK.
Yep, my understanding is that in many (most/all?) countries in Europe such as Portugal you can ride a 125cc or less scooter with just a regular driver's license with no additional training whereas in the USA (at least here in Florida) you need a special motorcycle endorsement which requires extra training and testing above and beyond a regular driver's license. If we had the same rule as Portugal my guess is scooter sales would skyrocket where I am. Also, most states (how many I'm not sure) in USA require at least 150cc to ride on interstate highways - it might even be a federal rule since they are federal highways - I'm not sure.

As to the OP's question, my understanding is the '16 is the same as the '15 except for colors. I talk about all these issues in my vlog here:

2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

I think this has been debunked, there is no minimum cc required to ride an interstate. There is a minimum speed requirement of 40 mph which is about it, which rules almost all 49ccs off the Interstate. Even my Vino 125 can only do 35 mph up 6% grades so that rules it out, while my old CBR 125R could do 55 mph up 6% grades.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by GatorGreg »

dkazzed wrote:I think this has been debunked, there is no minimum cc required to ride an interstate. There is a minimum speed requirement of 40 mph which is about it, which rules almost all 49ccs off the Interstate. Even my Vino 125 can only do 35 mph up 6% grades so that rules it out, while my old CBR 125R could do 55 mph up 6% grades.
I think I stand corrected - at least in Fla you're right in that I could find no reference in the actual Fla statutes to any 150cc limit (except you have to be at least 16 to ride a motorcycle OVER 150cc).

As to speed, according to Florida Statute Subsection 316.183(2), "The minimun speed limit on all highways that comprise a part of the National System of Interstate Highways and Defense Highways and have not fewer than four lanes is 40 miles per hour, except that when the posted speed limit is 70 miles per hour, the minimum speed limit is 50 miles per hour."

In addition, subsection 316.183(5) has a general probibition on driving "...at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic..."

So at least in Florida, I'd say as long as you can normally and reasonably maintain a speed of 50mph you are legal on all roads in Florida regardless of the size of your engine :) What I'd be curious to see though is whether an FHP trooper would cite someone going say 55mph in a 70mph zone on the theory that they are violating subsection 5 in their judgement (for impeding), even though they are going 5mph over the minimum 50mph speed requirement mandated by subsection 2, that would be an interesting case for a judge to decide.
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

If there's room for people to pass, i don't see a problem. What about steep upgrades with semis barely doing 20 mph? We have a number of these on the west coast.

Ugh, I hate subjective laws like that. Just seems like a potential cash grab. "No one's speeding today, let's get the slow drivers."
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

dkazzed wrote:I think this has been debunked, there is no minimum cc required to ride an interstate. There is a minimum speed requirement of 40 mph which is about it, which rules almost all 49ccs off the Interstate. Even my Vino 125 can only do 35 mph up 6% grades so that rules it out, while my old CBR 125R could do 55 mph up 6% grades.
In Michigan the minimum is 125cc for the freeway(as I've seen posted), I believe it's 150 in California.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

OldGuy wrote: I bought the shop manual (just contemplating if I want to try the 2500 mile valve check myself) and it typically give one procedure for the 2013 model and then an "after 2013" procedure.
I think you will find the 2015/16 PCX150 valve check within your abilities and it looks a lot easier than what I've seen with earlier models on youtube. Still its no walk in the park it will be 14 procedures per the manual to get the job done.