Handle bar rust?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

pcx150man
Year: 2014
Color: white

Handle bar rust?

Post by pcx150man »

Hi, has anyone here beginning to suffer any premature handlebar rust?

Mine has the start of some, and i have only had the bike a couple of months, is there any protective measures I can take to slow the onset? I do garage it. I'll post a photo when i get the chance later.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Handle bar rust?

Post by iceman »

Mine is 17 months old ridden 365 days/yr and been caught out in some heavy downpours. It's stored underground at work but left wet if it's rained, and under a cover at home (again, cover added on even if the bike is soaked and it's still pouring) and I have not noticed any rust anywhere - even the exhaust seems fine although the rear engine area gets covered in dust, dirt and muck from the road.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

iceman wrote:Mine is 17 months old ridden 365 days/yr and been caught out in some heavy downpours. It's stored underground at work but left wet if it's rained, and under a cover at home (again, cover added on even if the bike is soaked and it's still pouring) and I have not noticed any rust anywhere - even the exhaust seems fine although the rear engine area gets covered in dust, dirt and muck from the road.
Agreed, no rust anywhere at all on PCX to date... there is something peculiar going on here. Perhaps its the salt from the beach are surfing bro 8)
Attachments
crazys.jpg
crazys.jpg (14.95 KiB) Viewed 791 times
pcx150man

Post by pcx150man »

I'm not say'n the air is corrosive here .....but if you don't eat your evening meal fast enough the knives and forks tend to corrode in your hands before you have even finished the entree ..... oh and if your silly enough to add extra salt to your pork cutlets....well. lol
Last edited by pcx150man on Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

Decent car wax after a good cleaning. Try to keep oxidizing chemicals off the metal. I've seen some chemical fallout around here that pits paint, as well.
pcx150man

Post by pcx150man »

j.d.b. wrote:Decent car wax after a good cleaning. Try to keep oxidizing chemicals off the metal. I've seen some chemical fallout around here that pits paint, as well.

thx ....just some old fashioned chrome polish ! :D
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Mine is the first issue in Thailand (2010) where there is lots of humidity, and I don't have any rust. I would consider taking it to the dealer and see if they will consider switching them out.

From the sounds of the corrosive air, where do you live, Chernobyl or Three Mile Island? :o o_O :lol: As Whitenoise would say, location, location, location! ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Alock
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Alock »

It depends on where you live. We live in Gloucester, MA. very close to the ocean & my Kymco GT300i gets slammed! New England salt water & air is very dense compared to Florida. It's a losing battle. All's I can do it try & keep it @ bay. I use this Starbrite Chrome & Stainless Steel cleaner here:

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/star-brit ... HwodK1wG_g

or use any type of wax. This will create a some sort of barrier to hold off the rust. BTW...West Marine is expensive for the Starbrite cleaner. I can usually find it online for around $8.00+ a bottle. I use it on our boat every year.