Crashed last week on A406

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Crashed last week on A406

Post by iceman »

I bought a PCX when the LED version with larger tank and power outlet came out (LEDS and larger tank are the only bonuses for me so far), and the support and guides on this forum made it seem worthwhile.
The Nmax - about £50 cheaper with ABS - quite promising for that reason if it's a reliable scooter. http://www.visordown.com/learners/first ... 26770.html
Top speed, acceleration mid-range and other things don't seem to justify it above the PCX and it's lighter weight and smaller wheels (and tank?) are also not so good. If it was not for the ABS the PCX seems better all round to me (any small improvement in acceleration a claimed 1mph top speed increase do not make up for even lighter weight and small wheels for bad roads).
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

iceman wrote:Top speed, acceleration mid-range and other things don't seem to justify it above the PCX and it's lighter weight and smaller wheels (and tank?) are also not so good. If it was not for the ABS the PCX seems better all round to me (any small improvement in acceleration a claimed 1mph top speed increase do not make up for even lighter weight and small wheels for bad roads).
The Nmax is only three kilos lighter.
The wheel size is a non-issue, the Nmax has bigger tyres so any difference in that regard will be negligible if indeed there is any..
Nmax has longer service interval at 4000 miles.
True the PCX tank is 1.4 litres bigger, but for the typical usage of a 125 scooter, the Nmax's 6.6 litres will be plenty.
ABS is the biggie though.
All scooters should have it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Seph
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Post by Seph »

Boloney wrote:I was breaking, maybe too much on front break. I'm fine, only one big bruise on my arse. Scooter fine, few scratches only. I did make it to work that day, so no big problems. Thinking about changing tyres now. I think I managed to escape without injures as I was holding to the bike to it stopped.
Damn, another. sorry mate. Glad people stopped and helped you out. I don't care what anyone says (including my dealership) the PCX stock tires are a hazard. Get them changed asap!
Good luck, hope ya brusies fade quickly.
Seph

Yamaha YBR 2011 Silver (MGE AKA Madge)
Honda PCX 2015 Red (A.K.A Fonda) *Deceased*
RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RideLondon »

Seriously, what is your problem? Why are you on a PCX forum? I don't understand why you waste so much of your life on a website whose address is... Wait for it:

www.hondapcx.org

And spend all your time complaining about the PCX? There's something very, very odd about that.
RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RideLondon »

My previous post is in response to this:
gn2 wrote:In the UK there's a few 125s with ABS, Honda SH and Forza, Vespa Primavera and Sprint and Yamaha Nmax.
The Yamaha is cheaper than the PCX so I can't understand why anyone in the UK would choose a PCX right now.

In France there's even more 125s with ABS.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

RideLondon wrote:Seriously, what is your problem? Why are you on a PCX forum? I don't understand why you waste so much of your life on a website whose address is... Wait for it:

http://www.hondapcx.org

And spend all your time complaining about the PCX? There's something very, very odd about that.
From the pertinent part of this forum FAQ: "This forum is designed to facilitate civil discussion among adults about scooters, specifically focusing around the Honda PCX. ...That said, I firmly believe that you as a user, should never be censored or denied the right to express your opinion...."

Don't see anything requiring only positive comments about the PCX. Besides, didn't you see his sig line? gn2 is always right. :)
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

RideLondon wrote:Seriously, what is your problem? Why are you on a PCX forum? I don't understand why you waste so much of your life on a website whose address is... Wait for it:

This is also a Forza site, for which he is an owner of.

I also think that people should praise the things they love about their rides and be critical about the things they don't. The truth of the matter is, Honda has competition and maybe they should think of stepping up. The consumer wins in the end.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

are all British roads that oily in the rain? I just don't see that much oil on the roads here in the northeast. Does it have something to do with more diesel vehicle use in Europe? Diesel is becoming more common here, but it's still not nearly as big for passenger cars as in Britain and the EU. Sure, we use it in commercial trucks (what you call lorries), buses, and an increasing number of pickups, but not so much in cars. Rode to work yesterday in the rain and had not one problem.

As for ABS, having never ridden a bike with it, I have no idea what difference it makes. I've only been down three times, and none of those were in the rain...and I've never locked the front brakes either...but then, I always feather them follow at a safe distance, and so on.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I don't have a problem.
I used to have a PCX.
I'm a member of this forum because the site owner personally invited me to join.
When the PCX was launched it was a really good competitive package.
Or so I thought, mine eventually suffered the broken crankcase issue.
As of the Nmax launch the PCX has been eclipsed as best budget 125.
In today's market the PCX really needs ABS to compete with the best.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

To be fair on the PCX front, the Forza has had many more major mechanical issues than the PCX. The earlier PCX had the crankcase issue but the Forza has been much worse. I believe you have had 3 or 4 or the common problems on your Forza - probably many more than other similar scoots from other manufacturers.

The N-max has little in it's favour above the PCX than ABS - from the pics it's quality of parts/assembly looked poorer too. Not saying I don't value ABS or wish it had been fitted to the PCX - I would have gladly paid a few hundred more for that option. Hopefully Honda will not be pushed to fit it to never models of the PCX and I may well trade up.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

iceman wrote:The N-max has little in it's favour above the PCX than ABS
Better service interval makes for reduced running costs.
RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RideLondon »

I swear this guy should work for Honda.
fullmetalscooter

Post by fullmetalscooter »

I m glad your ok and that you were wearing full gear . Were I live I see only about 25 % of people doing that . Maybe 50 % might wear glove , helmet and a jacket . I thinking Beyond locking braking you also could have hit a patch of spilled diesel . Sometime a 18 wheeler will forget to put his gas cap back on and the result is patches of diesel gas on the road. It s more slippery then oil.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

RideLondon wrote:I swear this guy should work for Honda.
Another security job beckons....