R.I.P Fonda

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: R.I.P Fonda

Post by honkerman »

Seph wrote:"Apologies to Seph. Never meant any disrespect"

No offence here pal.
Not my faith. I enjoy a good joke as long as people who believe in Jesus don't get offended.

(
Hey, I'm a believer, and I made the joke. :D

;)
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

There's the 3-wheel scooter which will not be as good protection as a car, but offers slightly more protection than a 2-wheeled scooter and is much more stable in wet or icey conditions. It can also be ridden on motorways on a CBT as far as I recall.
btw - so sorry to hear of yours and Mel's accidents.
Seph
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Post by Seph »

homie wrote:
Seph wrote:As for riding again, the wife says no. I respect that she's scared. I'd jump back on one tomorrow. I just can't afford the costs of anymore accidents! I just feel like my wings have been clipped. :(
There is a whole other freedom club out there I'm a former member of that don't ride the streets but own the sidewalks, public trails and bike paths :D
I may get sucked back into this world if you guys don't stop getting hurt.

Vans would mount the path to get me if I rolled down the street on one of these :lol:
Seph

Yamaha YBR 2011 Silver (MGE AKA Madge)
Honda PCX 2015 Red (A.K.A Fonda) *Deceased*
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

The only thing you can do is put it down to experience. The main thing is that the only thing that was hurt is the pride and the wallet.

You could get back some of the cost of the bike by selling it for spares or break it and put the good bits on eBay. I nearly new engine if it's still ok must be worth a few quid.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Bash On! wrote:
dkazzed wrote:Yikes. I'm glad you're ok through all of this.

It's easy to tell someone to maybe stay on four wheels but the fact of the matter is, driving in the UK is very expensive with high fuel prices, parking, etc. It's often either scooters or transit for the Brits when commuting to work. Scooters = freedom. Transit = being herded like cattle.
Pick your poison. Or, you can be like my UK ancestors and move to the U.S. of A. Gas is down to $1.92 a U.S. gallon locally. But, we have many 100+ degree F days here. Like I said, it's always a trade-off.

Besides, what we suggest is irrelevant. SWMBO has already spoken.
Piss away your petrol. Healthcare seems a tad expensive.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Seph wrote:"Apologies to Seph. Never meant any disrespect"

No offence here pal.
Not my faith. I enjoy a good joke as long as people who believe in Jesus don't get offended.

Once again, thanks all for the kind words.
I'm going to go pick up the scooter or scrap it in the next few days.
There might be the option of repair depending on how bad it actually is but it won't be cheap. Going to see it will cost me £180..
There is a hefty bill coming my way that my wife and I cannot afford as my insurance was 3rd party fire and theft. It'll cover the van that when over my bike but they won't touch me.
So much for saving money by taking this policy out instead of fully comp.

As for riding again, the wife says no. I respect that she's scared. I'd jump back on one tomorrow. I just can't afford the costs of anymore accidents! I just feel like my wings have been clipped. :(
Fair enough. You are a good 'un
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Seph,
This is your second off this summer since getting your scooter in July.
The first ended with some scrapes, fortunately you weren't run over by someone around you in the calming circle -- this time you went down & slid into an on-coming vehicle....on a curve, a hill & a road that is well known to you. (going to work?)

My point is that, as a fellow scooter rider who is concerned about you - your riding skills are not yet safe enough for the public roads in your area, and/or in the time of day you must travel on your scooter.

Your wife is not familiar with all that is required to safely operate a scooter in this day and age......but some of us are. And we are concerned about you. She cannot but express her concern - we (your riding peers) can, respectfully, speak to you from a different perspective.

Essentially, you've committed two unforced errors on your scooter in a span of three months. That is more than embarrassing - that is scary!

While I do indeed understand your love of scootering - and the freedom, convenience and economy it had given you -- common sense seems to strongly suggest that you let go of the idea of riding on a motorized set of two wheels.
Perhaps later, when your finances permit, you can take a serious motorcycle safety training set of classes which might help your instructor decide if you've learned to safely command a scooter in traffic....both the mechanics of riding and the judgement necessary to safely commute on motorized two wheels.

"Clipped wings", son, you clipped them.
Back off of the idea for now. Enjoy your wife & daughter. Two of the best blessings you'll ever experience in this life.
In concern, respectfully.
Fish
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

Hello Fish,
Your last post really touched me. That is very kind and considerate of you.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Been away a few days from the forums, and what am I reading? o_O
Seph and his scoot down and sliding. What! I thought I swallowed a grapefruit reading this! Wow. Praise whomever you want or don't want, point is YES! you're still here with us, and Most of all with Your Family!

I hope you're not hurting Seph, you took a bad fall this time. Good luck with whatever it is that you are going to do with yer broken scoot. Some good suggestions were made. Part it out, sell as is,...but don't fix. This bike has a new name, it's Jinx (as we would say in the U.S.)
Is "Parting such sweet sorrow?" :( Not in this case.
I'm really Sorry this happened. Keep in touch and please take a cycle course if the time ever comes that you consider riding again.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Seph
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Seph »

fish wrote:Seph,
This is your second off this summer since getting your scooter in July.
The first ended with some scrapes, fortunately you weren't run over by someone around you in the calming circle -- this time you went down & slid into an on-coming vehicle....on a curve, a hill & a road that is well known to you. (going to work?)

My point is that, as a fellow scooter rider who is concerned about you - your riding skills are not yet safe enough for the public roads in your area, and/or in the time of day you must travel on your scooter.

Your wife is not familiar with all that is required to safely operate a scooter in this day and age......but some of us are. And we are concerned about you. She cannot but express her concern - we (your riding peers) can, respectfully, speak to you from a different perspective.

Essentially, you've committed two unforced errors on your scooter in a span of three months. That is more than embarrassing - that is scary!

While I do indeed understand your love of scootering - and the freedom, convenience and economy it had given you -- common sense seems to strongly suggest that you let go of the idea of riding on a motorized set of two wheels.
Perhaps later, when your finances permit, you can take a serious motorcycle safety training set of classes which might help your instructor decide if you've learned to safely command a scooter in traffic....both the mechanics of riding and the judgement necessary to safely commute on motorized two wheels.

"Clipped wings", son, you clipped them.
Back off of the idea for now. Enjoy your wife & daughter. Two of the best blessings you'll ever experience in this life.
In concern, respectfully.
Fish
I see what you're saying and atm clipped. But one day maybe again. The roads around my area are country farming roads with heavy lorry traffic, they are essentially rainbows daily due to fuel.
That road I crashed on has claimed the pride and lives of hundreds of bikers, experienced and newbies.

As for safety, I'm going on them same roads with a pushbike.....
Seph

Seph
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Seph »

WhiteNoise wrote:Been away a few days from the forums, and what am I reading? o_O
Seph and his scoot down and sliding. What! I thought I swallowed a grapefruit reading this! Wow. Praise whomever you want or don't want, point is YES! you're still here with us, and Most of all with Your Family!

I hope you're not hurting Seph, you took a bad fall this time. Good luck with whatever it is that you are going to do with yer broken scoot. Some good suggestions were made. Part it out, sell as is,...but don't fix. This bike has a new name, it's Jinx (as we would say in the U.S.)
I'm really Sorry this happened. Keep in touch and please take a cycle course if the time ever comes that you consider riding again.
Hey, Thanks for your kind words mate. Been an awful week. Not hurt, I wasn't travelling fast enough to even scratch my pants. I have a few bruises and a sprained thumb. My steel toe cap boots stopped the van running me over by twisting me round the back of the van, I'm a very lucky guy :D.

Yeah, she's a curse!

I'm not going to say I'm the best rider but I'm not a foolish teenager neither. The roads really aren't great around this way. The police officer and ambulance said he'd been out to that same point lots of times to similar accidents. The wall off the side of the road had just been rebuilt that week due to a car loosing control.
Maybe I need to change where I live rather than my mode of transport :lol:
Seph

Seph
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Seph »

Update, I scrapped the remains of the bike. sad day. But who knows what tomorrow brings hey?!
Seph

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Seph wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:Been away a few days from the forums, and what am I reading? o_O

Hey, Thanks for your kind words mate. Been an awful week. Not hurt, I wasn't travelling fast enough to even scratch my pants. I have a few bruises and a sprained thumb. My steel toe cap boots stopped the van running me over by twisting me round the back of the van, I'm a very lucky guy :D.

Yeah, she's a curse!

I'm not going to say I'm the best rider but I'm not a foolish teenager neither. The roads really aren't great around this way. The police officer and ambulance said he'd been out to that same point lots of times to similar accidents. The wall off the side of the road had just been rebuilt that week due to a car loosing control.
Maybe I need to change where I live rather than my mode of transport :lol:
Your pants were untouched? How did you manage to fall off at such a low speed?
Seph
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Seph »

"Your pants were untouched?.."
Not a scratch or rip to my jacket nor to the pants I was wearing (water proof snowboard pants).
I did have a few scrapes where my helmet hit the road.

"..How did you manage to fall off at such a low speed?"
I've visited the hill every day since to try and figure this out.

I entered this lane at the top of the picture. I was slowing on the hill towards the turn. (my opinion and also witness opinions) at around 10mph. I was putting the PCX (without brakes) into a slight bank and then it was down and we both slid a few feet into the right side of the road where the on coming van ran us over.... Murdering Fonda

Here's a picture of where I crashed.
Note the middle of the road (left side traffic, UK), this was my riding position. Where the picture ends is where I fell. If you tilt your computer screen backwards you can see the conditions of the roads near me. due to all the fuel on them, I call them rainbows.

Like some say, maybe I fell due to being an inexperienced rider. or Maybe it's the standard wheels of the PCX being utter shite in the rain. maybe it's the roads.
All I know is I crashed on the same stretch of road in the rain Twice.

If I do get another bike, (if i'm ever allowed :P) I'll be investing in some tires that can cope with heavy rains we get road here and getting a few pointers from experienced riders about how to handle and ride in drenched roads.
Attachments
12033344_10207563039212917_1525953436_n.jpg
12033344_10207563039212917_1525953436_n.jpg (108.26 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
Seph

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Seph wrote:"Your pants were untouched?.."
Not a scratch or rip to my jacket nor to the pants I was wearing (water proof snowboard pants).

I entered this lane at the top of the picture. I was slowing on the hill towards the turn. (my opinion and also witness opinions) at around 10mph. I was putting the PCX (without brakes) into a slight bank and then it was down and we both slid a few feet into the right side of the road where the on coming van ran us over.... Murdering Fonda

Note the middle of the road (left side traffic, UK), this was my riding position. Where the picture ends is where I fell. If you tilt your computer screen backwards you can see the conditions of the roads near me. due to all the fuel on them, I call them rainbows.

Like some say, maybe I fell due to being an inexperienced rider. or Maybe it's the standard wheels of the PCX being utter shite in the rain. maybe it's the roads.

If I do get another bike, (if i'm ever allowed :P) I'll be investing in some tires that can cope with heavy rains we get road here and getting a few pointers from experienced riders about how to handle and ride in drenched roads.
I hear what you are saying, and thanks for keeping you patience with me. But I can't understand falling of at paltry 10mph and the bike having enough retained energy to continue sliding across the road and under the third party vehicle travelling in the opposite direction.

However I wasn't there and you were so appreciate the misunderstanding is my fault
Seph
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Seph »

The gradient of the road and heavy rain is all I can imagine.
Seph

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I don't even like the look of that glossy strip running down the road... heck is that? Never encountered such a patch in all my driving experience. What sort of underground pipeline or service cable has been buried that could have caused for such a irregularity in the payment? Call the county and get some facts, then call foul on the road work and make the city buy you a new scoot. That's just not right.
Chief says he would have busted his azz in that turn too.
Attachments
mac&chief2.jpg
mac&chief2.jpg (10.11 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
Seph
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Seph »

homie wrote:I don't even like the look of that glossy strip running down the road... heck is that? Never encountered such a patch in all my driving experience. What sort of underground pipeline or service cable has been buried that could have caused for such a irregularity in the payment? Call the county and get some facts, then call foul on the road work and make the city buy you a new scoot. That's just not right.
Chief says he would have busted his azz in that turn too.
Standard road around here tbh. They gouge up the road and lay down the thickest bitumen ever.
They really don't look after our roads it seems.
I stopped the other day on my way home (push bike) to clear wood with nails off this same road.
Seph

ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Is it me or is the camber all wrong?
aka DrewJW
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

you you wrote:
Seph wrote:"Your pants were untouched?.."

I hear what you are saying, and thanks for keeping you patience with me. But I can't understand falling of at paltry 10mph and the bike having enough retained energy to continue sliding across the road and under the third party vehicle travelling in the opposite direction.

However I wasn't there and you were so appreciate the misunderstanding is my fault

In my understanding and in my experience, bike/scooter stability is the least at low speeds. This is the explanation I was given years ago when I asked the inspector at the DMV why the test required so many low speed manuevers. Over the years, I've observed that bikes/scooters are a lot more wobbly the slower one goes. It's not all that surprising that one could crash easily at a lower speed. Truth be told, both of the times I laid bikes down, I was going less than 25mph, and in one case, less than 10 mph...but that incident included mud on the road surface.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)