My Bike is "Rocking" me...

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

gogobert
Year: 2014
Color: White

Re: My Bike is "Rocking" me...

Post by gogobert »

Yes, Iahve tried different air-pressure and suspension settings, I have also had it in a shop where some techs looked at it, but since they didn't testdrive correctly, they also checked this and, as they said, they did put the suspension to lowest and adjusted the air-pressure.
But no difference....
Anyway, I got a time at another place tomorrow, and then I really need to let the techie experience the 'rocking' :)
Honda Nss300 Forza 2014 - White
gogobert

Post by gogobert »

just sharing my thoughts here...One more thing, the bike needs to get in a 'static' state before the 'rocking' starts, meaning: No bumps, No breaking, No throttling, just an even speed above 35kmh at an even surface.
Feels like it need a little time to start oscillate...

I need to nail down the source that starts the 'rocking' :?
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

I'm no tire mechanic, but I don't believe it takes much in the way of being out of balance/true to be noticeable when you ride. I see a bit of movement in that video, and it looks to me like it's more in the tire than the wheel. Can you take it to a mechanic to get a "real" opinion?
gogobert

Post by gogobert »

Yep, I have spoken to a tech that WILL testdrive it any day now, the plan was this morning, but it pours here....so I didn't feel like getting all to wet... ;) maybe tomorrow or friday.

And as You say, the wheel doesn't move, It's only the tire.
Thanx for your support :)
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

gogobert wrote:just sharing my thoughts here...One more thing, the bike needs to get in a 'static' state before the 'rocking' starts, meaning: No bumps, No breaking, No throttling, just an even speed above 35kmh at an even surface.
Feels like it need a little time to start oscillate...

I need to nail down the source that starts the 'rocking' :?
If it only does it at a steady, no load speed...could it be a fuel mixture problem, making the engine run slightly uneven? An air leak the fuel injection can't compensate for? A sensor that's not giving the fuel injection the correct info? Ignition timing varying for some reason?
gogobert

Post by gogobert »

Now at last, a mechanic at another shop has test-driven the Forza, and he also felt the 'rocking' and also saw that the tire wasn't all round.

So, he couldn't think of anything else then that it actually is the tire that starts the oscillating behavior.
He has now made a complaint on the tire (as it only has run 2000km) to Honda and it will be changed as soon as possible.

Hold Your thumbs everyone! :D
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

Please post back on the results?
gogobert

Post by gogobert »

j.d.b. wrote:Please post back on the results?
sure, I certainly will.
gogobert

Post by gogobert »

Now the bike is at the shop for tire-change, I'll let You know tomorrow if it solved the 'Rocking'
Blackbeard1718
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Blackbeard1718 »

FWIW, take a look at Dynabeads or Counteract Tire Balancing Beads. I had 1 oz in each of my 12" Honda Big Ruckus Tires, and they ran smooth as glass. Good thing about the Beads, is that you can add them when you're getting New Tires, or through your Valve Stem, using their Kits provided. Also, if you already have Balance Weights on your wheels, it's fine, you don't have to remove them. I had 3K miles on my Tires when I Traded for the Forza, and never had any Balancing issues.

The 1 oz Kit should also do fine for each 14" & 13" Forza Tires. I used the Counteract Kit, which comes with 2 oz of Beads in 1 oz packets, Bead Bottle (Fill the Bottle with 1 oz of Beads at a time...), Tube to install the Beads, Valve Stem Core Remover, New Valve Stem Cores, and Valve Stem Caps.

Trick to adding the Beads: Use a Vibrating Tool, like a Dremel Tool, and place it on the Install Tube, as you're squeezing The Bead Bottle into the Valve Stem. The vibration makes the Beads flow like water, and takes a couple of minutes for each Tire. When you're done, pop the New Valve Stem Cores in, tighten them with the Valve Stem Core Tool, Air them up, Cap them off with the Caps, and RIDE!

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Current Scoot: 2014 Honda Forza 300 ABS (Red October)

Former Scoots: TNG Verona 150, Kymco People S200, Kymco People S250, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Ruckus 50, Yamaha Zuma 125, Kymco People GTi300, Honda Big Ruckus PS250
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Blackbeard1718 wrote:FWIW, take a look at Dynabeads or Counteract Tire Balancing Beads. I had 1 oz in each of my 12" Honda Big Ruckus Tires, and they ran smooth as glass. Good thing about the Beads, is that you can add them when you're getting New Tires, or through your Valve Stem, using their Kits provided. Also, if you already have Balance Weights on your wheels, it's fine, you don't have to remove them. I had 3K miles on my Tires when I Traded for the Forza, and never had any Balancing issues.

The 1 oz Kit should also do fine for each 14" & 13" Forza Tires. I used the Counteract Kit, which comes with 2 oz of Beads in 1 oz packets, Bead Bottle (Fill the Bottle with 1 oz of Beads at a time...), Tube to install the Beads, Valve Stem Core Remover, New Valve Stem Cores, and Valve Stem Caps.

Trick to adding the Beads: Use a Vibrating Tool, like a Dremel Tool, and place it on the Install Tube, as you're squeezing The Bead Bottle into the Valve Stem. The vibration makes the Beads flow like water, and takes a couple of minutes for each Tire. When you're done, pop the New Valve Stem Cores in, tighten them with the Valve Stem Core Tool, Air them up, Cap them off with the Caps, and RIDE!

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB
Hmm..as a minimum isn't that an elaborate solution to sorting out the symptom rather than the root cause
gogobert

Post by gogobert »

Well, just arrived at the office now, after a 45km ride from the shop with a new tire on the backwheel, and I must say - the problem is gone, but.....

I am now strengthen in my thoughts that it was a combination that made this 'rocking' ... I can still feel it at some points, but very seldom, that something starts a small oscillating, but it doesn't increase and keeps going all the way up to 80kmh the way it did before.

The mechanic also notified that the old tire kind of moved up- and down a bit while spinning, and now it doesn't.

So for the moment, I put this problem on the shelf and just enjoys the ride....Hurrah! :D
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

gogobert wrote:The mechanic also notified that the old tire kind of moved up- and down a bit while spinning, and now it doesn't.
Ah, common problem with those trapezoidal tyres - the round ones are always better :) - glad you got it sorted.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

iceman wrote:
gogobert wrote:The mechanic also notified that the old tire kind of moved up- and down a bit while spinning, and now it doesn't.
Ah, common problem with those trapezoidal tyres - the round ones are always better :) - glad you got it sorted.
The egg shaped tires on my sister's jeep were not great either. Round is the way to go.
Blackbeard1718
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Blackbeard1718 »

you you wrote:
Hmm..as a minimum isn't that an elaborate solution to sorting out the symptom rather than the root cause
HOWDY, YOU-YOU!

I was just offering an alternative for Basic Balancing, usually done with Weights. Wheels & Tires in General, be it Auto or Scooter/Motorcycle, have a High Spot & Low Spot. Here's a blurb from Discount Tire on Balancing:

"An out of balance tire can adversely affect ride quality, shorten the life of your tires, bearings, shocks and other suspension components. If you have a vibration that is dependent on speed, and usually becomes noticeable around 40-45 mph and increases as your speed increases, it's probably balance related. The other primary cause of vibrations is that the tire and wheel assembly isn't perfectly round. Face it, if we go out far enough past the decimal point, nothing is perfectly round. This includes your wheels and tires. The problem is when the high spot on the tire, and the high spot on the wheel end up being matched to each other. This effectively doubles the amount of "hop" or runout. If re-balancing doesn't cure the vibration problem, have your professional installer check the runout of the tire. If there is a "hop", many times the problem can be fixed by simply rotating the tire on the wheel slightly. The technician should loosen the tire on the wheel, and turn it 180 degrees, and reinflate the tire after relubricating the bead. The runout should be significantly reduced or eliminated, and if it's not, try it again, but this time rotate only 90 degrees, and if that doesn't work, try 180 degrees on the third try. Done this way, the high spot on the tire has been tried at each quarter of the wheel. At one of those points, the tire should be good and round. At that point, rebalance the tire, and go for a test drive. If the vibration persists, the problem is either in the tire, or elsewhere in the vehicle."

True... Neither DynaBeads or Counteract Beads will solve the High/Low Spot Issue. However, if a Wheel/Tire has been Balanced as close as it can get to being perfect... albeit there is still a SMALL BIT of Hop in it, then the Beads help to smooth it even further. I tried them in my '05 Big Ruckus Tires last year for the first time, and I was instantly SOLD, on my first Ride with them. They're WEIRD... but they WORK! Kinda like me!Image

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Current Scoot: 2014 Honda Forza 300 ABS (Red October)

Former Scoots: TNG Verona 150, Kymco People S200, Kymco People S250, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Ruckus 50, Yamaha Zuma 125, Kymco People GTi300, Honda Big Ruckus PS250