The curb or the oncoming car

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

wangsuda
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

The curb or the oncoming car

Post by wangsuda »

Thai drivers are effing nuts. The other day, A car going the opposite traffic lane pulls out of his lane, right in front of me. My choice was to hit him or hit the curb. I chose the curb. Whether it was the right choice, I don't know. I do know I am still alive :) Thankfully, bushes planted along the curb broke my fall. Damage to my PCX is cosmetic. No injuries to me. A$$hole kept on driving too.
Attachments
bike01.jpg
bike01.jpg (49.61 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
bike02.jpg
bike02.jpg (46.18 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
bike03.jpg
bike03.jpg (34.76 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
bike04.jpg
bike04.jpg (36.42 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
bike05.jpg
bike05.jpg (34.45 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Re: The curb or the oncoming car

Post by j.d.b. »

That you're uninjured tells me you made the correct choice. Well done!
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

Good call on hitting the curb instead of the car, and I'm glad you're not injured. It's a lot easier to fix a bike than a person. :)
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Considering the physics involved hitting the stationary object was a better choice than hitting something moving toward you. Good call man, good call.

Very glad you're in one piece.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Brent
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Brent »

Wise choice! Now your PCX has "character"!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

This month is becoming 'Crash the PCX month'!!!!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

yes it is crash month... boooooooooooooo
So glad you made it off with no injuries. Get it patched up and join the list and hopefully you will only list once FOREVER!
Attachments
mac&chief3.jpg
mac&chief3.jpg (9.1 KiB) Viewed 1389 times
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

It's in the Air? Oh no Mel o_O please don't say that! What's going on folks? None of this is sounding good. Too much too soon. I'm feeling bad all over for you guys. What a shame :(

wangsuda, you did good (I'm guessing) considering the choice's you had. I dislike traffic and avoid it at all costs. I'm in it for the joy of riding, not stress. Being retired, I have that advantage. So Ya'll be careful going about your business travels with yer lorries and such. Yikes, just too much stuff going on. My nerves!

Member gn2 will say, that having ABS brakes would've helped as far as the Dead Stop Wheels Straight Ahead advantage. I tend to agree. But, I can't dismiss our instincts, they play a big role. I mean really, We don't practice accidents weekly and you know they come in many forms. "We're Only Human" we're inexperienced at bumping into things and falling...speed or no speed involved. Heck I did better at that as a kid, back then nothing hurt. A fall was a fall. We just got up, wiped a tear and did it again.
But....We be Big now, it's different. (Shite! To that!) :P

In your situation and in many other situations, we're forced to make panic stricken split second decisions. Then We pray (?) for the best possible outcome. My point is, we do the best we can at That given Moment. There's no changing That Moment. That Moment becomes the Past very quickly. Don't be too hard on yourself when "accident's" happen. But do re-think, investigate and learn something from it. Move on. Be thankful. Be aware. Watch the tires and eyes of other drivers, they reveal a lot.

Very Glad you're okay wangsuda :P after looking at your pics, the scoot definitely took the Bush beating. Guess it's time to gather some bits n pieces. A bandaid won't do the trick. Good luck fellow PCX'er and keep us posted. Remember, we're here to help
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

P.S. Let it be known that my next bike/scoot (if there is one), Will have ABS brakes.
Hear that gn2? ;) 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise wrote:P.S. Let it be known that my next bike/scoot (if there is one), Will have ABS brakes.
Hear that gn2? ;) 8)
Me too, the next PCX in the legend of this scooter will hopefully have ABS and the will be a powerful incentive to trade.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

homie wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:P.S. Let it be known that my next bike/scoot (if there is one), Will have ABS brakes.
Hear that gn2? ;) 8)
Me too, the next PCX in the legend of this scooter will hopefully have ABS and the will be a powerful incentive to trade.
Not sure we will see that in the UK but it would be good - it takes a bit of the advantage of the Forza 125 away and that costs £4K!
wangsuda
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wangsuda »

Wise choice! Now your PCX has "character"!
It sure does. Guess it's time sand it all out and repaint it.
the scoot definitely took the Bush beating.
It sure did. I've tried waxing some of the lesser scratches out. No luck.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Sorry to hear about the accident. the perfect solution would be to just clip the guy then he has scratches as well! Or a boot....
In the wilds of Sumatra some of the guys had a rock Velcroed to the tank of their motorbike. A$$hole tries to pass another vehicle in the oncoming lane whilst almost running them off the road gets a small rock hit on the windshield! Not perfect as i am right handed and have to get off the throttle to hurl said rock. One mate would have a handy bag of marbles in the truck, for the same reason.

Sounds extreme but all the roads were two lane with logging trucks and a$$holes.
Seph
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Post by Seph »

Damn! another? Sorry to hear this, count your blessing you're unharmed.

as for your PCX http://memecrunch.com/meme/XVYI/tis-but ... /image.png ;)
Seph

Yamaha YBR 2011 Silver (MGE AKA Madge)
Honda PCX 2015 Red (A.K.A Fonda) *Deceased*
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
Hear that gn2? ;) 8)

Well worth paying for if you are incapable of braking properly. Why isn't it compulsory in America?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:
homie wrote:
Hear that gn2? ;) 8)

Well worth paying for if you are incapable of braking properly. Why isn't it compulsory in America?
Because if the government demands all vehicles have ABS then they would have to collect a couple billion in taxes to update the department of transportations regulation and mandates. Maybe we just let the free market regulate this one and people learn to use their existing brakes until they can afford a new vehicle.

Funny you make this request youyou because yesterday I was out practicing braking at 55mph to the point of skid in the park preserve (because all the offs lately) :roll: I realized that since ownership of the PCX I had not needed to brake hard to date. It was difficult to keep from going over the handlebars in our riding position and I think a very effective way to calibrate your limits and know what to expect. How far I would travel on straight, clean, level and dry asphalt at top speed was the test and actually I was quite impressed with the performance... um I feel a video coming on :lol:

Of course means nothing on sandy wet slippery curve when someone pulls out in front of you... give me ABS
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

you you wrote:
homie wrote:
Hear that gn2? ;) 8)

Because we like the illusion that we hate big government.

Personally, I've never had ABS on any of my two-wheelers. Never having had it, I don't miss it. Just one more thing to go wrong. In my own most humble of opinions, reliance on electronic doo-dads and thingamajigs and whatnots is detrimental to really learning how to operate a vehicle. That said, for those who need the extra helps, I don't begrudge them.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

electronic doo-dads and thingamajigs and whatnots
if only we could stop drivers playing with those things while they are driving
as manufactures are mandated to add more safety into their vehicles
the thingamajigs are added
how many drivers are concerned getting from A to B
or being entertained
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I'm looking forward to the next set of tipping off by the inexperienced. This is getting stale now
wangsuda
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wangsuda »

you you wrote:I'm looking forward to the next set of tipping off by the inexperienced. This is getting stale now
The professional forum is next door. How about taking a hearty fuck off over there, if you're so bored with the inexperienced?