73 MPG !

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

techrat
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

73 MPG !

Post by techrat »

Howdy group!! When I first bought the Forza, I was getting 65 to 68MPG, but recently that number has zoomed to 72 to almost 75MPG, with the general average being 73mpg. And it's this way pretty much all the time now, from fill up to empty, and the next tankfull as well. At first, I thought it was because I had switched gas stations and the level of ethanol was different, but I went back to the el-cheapo gas and it has consistently stayed at around 73.

Some things to note: This happened after about 1800 to 2000 miles on the bike, so perhaps once things "broke in" even better MPG? Also, it got much warmer here in the Northeast, maybe the oil when the bike is cold is still looser due to higher ambient temp? Also, I added the taller windshield, but I can't be certain this is the defining factor.

My driving is mixed; city streets with lights and stop signs, as well as occasional stretches of 45mph with no stops and about 2-1/2 miles of highway at 60-65mph. I'm 190lbs, probably with gear on I'm closer to 200.

Anybody else seeing 73mpg or better? Some days I get as good as 75mpg, but I consistently stay over 70mpg at this point all the time, even when going uphill.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: 73 MPG !

Post by gn2 »

Best I've had was 105mpg.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

Mine is currently showing high 77, low 78 mpg (US gallons). Mixed driving...in town, highway, seldom over 60mph. Warm temperatures may be helping...or Honda has programed in an "improvement factor" in the trip computer to make us feel happy! :-)
Jockay
Year: 2019 Forza 300
Color: Blue

Post by Jockay »

I usually average around 82 MPG (imperial) but after having ridden the F sedately and in warm weather recently I obtained 89 MPG (imperial).
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

You need to remember that the US liquid gallon is different than the UK imperial gallon. Also, fuel in the
USA and UK is different, different fuels give different efficiencies. It would be better if we had separate
threads comparing US mpg's in one thread and UK mpg's in another. It doesn't do any good to compare
the US mpg with the UK mpg. They will be very different.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Even within the US there will be huge variation due to elevation and prevaling climate conditions.
Not to mention traffic conditions and how the thing is ridden.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

waybar wrote:You need to remember that the US liquid gallon is different than the UK imperial gallon. Also, fuel in the
USA and UK is different, different fuels give different efficiencies. It would be better if we had separate
threads comparing US mpg's in one thread and UK mpg's in another. It doesn't do any good to compare
the US mpg with the UK mpg. They will be very different.

Is there a solid, gas or plasma gallon?

I want one
Bigboss242

Post by Bigboss242 »

My best us mpg wad 59.5 Right now I'm getting 57.9 I weigh 239 pounds.
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza

Post by stryder123 »

My forza has about 2500 miles and I noticed the same slow improvement on MPG. I weigh in at 260 lbs and at a constant highway speed of 55 mph I am always right on 73 MPG at the end of the tank.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Litres are consistent though :) - but you get what you get, if mpg is down compared to others it's not really the bikes fault it's how it's driven and the weight it carries.
Fuelly was good at showing comparisons but lately it seems to be off due to user input error or something else I cannot work out why - take this for example
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/ ... rny/338503
Shows the best as being 130mpg (going back to the start for that user), latest 147mpg for her 17 hours ago (not shown on the real chart) and also her average 300mpg! (but if you show all her fuel-ups that never goes above 130mpg!) < what is going on?
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

My 2015 model has 1,200 miles and I average between 77-80 mpg U.S. Mixed riding, anywhere from 40-65 mph. I weigh 147 lbs.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
Bigboss242

Post by Bigboss242 »

Guess my scoot is telling me to lose weight.
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

gn2 wrote:Even within the US there will be huge variation due to elevation and prevaling climate conditions.
Tru dat!

My previous ride was an '03 Wing. When we lived in the Triangle, my normal commuting resulted in ~38-40mpg. When I moved here to Columbia SC, which is very muggy and very low elevation, I was thrilled to get 35 mpg, and usually got 32. On a long highway trip, I would get ~43mpg. Cruising the Blue Ridge Parkway (higher elevation and a sedate 45 mpg) got me nearly 55 mpg. Nearly all of this variation was because of the programmed fuel injection. Higher elevation led to leaner mix. Lower humidity lead to leaner fuel mixture as well. Here in Columbia, low elevation and The Big Muggy... Foo yuk!

Having said that, I just did the break-in service (at 740 miles) and am averaging 66mpg on the Forza. This is with most of my riding being 5 mile stop-n-go commutes.

I look forward to discovering that the beast will get even better mileage in a few hundred miles. Go ahead... Tell me it's true!

Pax et bonum,
Michael
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring
Gingivitis Khan

Post by Gingivitis Khan »

Riding back roads (40-50 mph) and using only 100% gasoline (no ethanol) I get in the high 70s - low 80s (US gallons).
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Bigboss242 wrote:Guess my scoot is telling me to lose weight.
I too need to lose weight but I also got 92.1 mpg imperial over a long 140 km stretch of mountain highways. 76.7 mpg US gal does not sound as impressive as the Canadian 92.1 mpg.

Like others have said, the mpg is more dependant on windspeed than anything else. I want an aircraft wind speed indicator for my Forza. The lack of wind in my face is one reason why I got a $200 speeding ticket a while back. I had a 60 kmph tailwind going 105 indicated ground speed so only a 45 kmph facial wind speed. But the RCMP were not buying that argument!

Many years ago I had a Honda CB125 while travelling in Saskatchewan. The CB125 had a chrome exhaust pipe. I was going about 70 km with a 70 km tailwind so the air over the pipe was almost nil and it started turning blue. I turned the motor off and was going to coast to a stop. But the motorcycle never stopped! I think I got about 186 mpg on that section of the trip from Vancouver to Newfoundland and back.
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza

Post by stryder123 »

Today I rode out a full tank of gas on the interstate into a head wind that was pretty brisk. My Forza has the tall windscreen. Average speed 75 mph and almost no throttle left.Ended up at 64.8 mpg. Not the best but still better than my car.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Vancouver to Newfoundland and back on a CB125
don't know if any of our european members would understand
how daunting that trip would have been
met a guy on a Honda 90 way back then crossing the Rockies
he had travelled across Saskatchewan on his way to the west coast
toughest part of the trip was all he said
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

relic wrote:Vancouver to Newfoundland and back on a CB125
don't know if any of our european members would understand
how daunting that trip would have been
met a guy on a Honda 90 way back then crossing the Rockies
he had travelled across Saskatchewan on his way to the west coast
toughest part of the trip was all he said
The trip was way back in 1982 when I was young and ignorant. I did about 19,000 km zig zagging my way from Vancouver to Newfoundland and back. I replaced 1 rear tire 2/3 of the way home. Gas & oil was $200 for the whole trip of about 2 months.

I put the CB125 in the back of a pickup truck to save the cost of the ferry to Newfoundland. The ferry took about 24? hours to get to Newfoundland because of very, very rough seas.

I would love to do the trip again now that I am old and stupid. I still have the back pack from that trip. The gas bill would be a bit higher and sleeping on the ground would hurt a lot more now.

I should feed my stupid little dog to the grizzlies and just go next summer. It is a little cold right now.