Battery compartment access

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

TonyM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: red

Battery compartment access

Post by TonyM »

I plan on trying to remove the battery compartment cover in order to gain access to the battery connectons.

The dealer installed a Battery Tender harness on the battery connections and I want to replace that harness with my Gerbing's harness so that I can use my Gerbing's heated gloves or more likely, my heated grip wraps that I bought from Aerostich.

When I had my Silverwing and my Burg 400, I was able to add the Gerbing's harness myself but on my new Forza, the seat doesn't open very far and it is very difficult to access the battery compartment cover. To add to the problem, I have injuries to my right hand which prevent me from using it normally.

I am hoping that someone might have photos of the compartment and maybe advice on how to accomplish what I plan to do. Anything that will make my job easier is appreciated.
US Army vet
Previous rides: many motorcycles; 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Kymco S250; and 2008 Burg 400
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Battery compartment access

Post by gn2 »

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by TonyM »

for gn2: ?
US Army vet
Previous rides: many motorcycles; 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Kymco S250; and 2008 Burg 400
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by SteveP »

TonyM wrote:I plan on trying to remove the battery compartment cover in order to gain access to the battery connectons.

The dealer installed a Battery Tender harness on the battery connections and I want to replace that harness with my Gerbing's harness so that I can use my Gerbing's heated gloves or more likely, my heated grip wraps that I bought from Aerostich.

When I had my Silverwing and my Burg 400, I was able to add the Gerbing's harness myself but on my new Forza, the seat doesn't open very far and it is very difficult to access the battery compartment cover. To add to the problem, I have injuries to my right hand which prevent me from using it normally.

I am hoping that someone might have photos of the compartment and maybe advice on how to accomplish what I plan to do. Anything that will make my job easier is appreciated.
I haven't tried removing the battery cover but it looks like it should be fairly easy to do. There's only 3 large headed screws holding in place. It is a bit hard to get to but by putting the scoot up on the center stand and propping open the seat with a stick of wood (so it won't fall closed on you), you should be able to get to the screws.

In theory the seat should come off easily...but again I haven't tried it. The lift cylinder supposedly can be "popped" off the ball socket...as mentioned previously on this Forum, or use a very thin open end wrench on the bolt head. At the forward, bottom end of the seat are a couple rubber plugs...remove them and there are two nuts to remove. Once the cylinder and two nuts are removed the seat should lift away. Doing this, and reinstalling, might require a helper!

But maybe there's an easier way....the Battery Tender's battery harness connector that the dealer installed. If you can obtain a mating connector and put that on your Gerbing and Aerostich devices, you can switch things around easily as needed.
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by TonyM »

SteveP, I've thought about your idea of removing or even just loosening the seat and flipping it forward out of the way so that I can more easily access the battery compartment. But the seat lift thing (damper) looks like it is very difficult to access and unattach . I would be afraid of having it or some other part of it, drop into the innards of the scooter and be gone forever.

I've already checked into using the Battery Tender harness and that won't work. Both Gerbing's and Aerostich's instructions warn not to use a B.T. harness with their gloves or grip warmers because the B.T. harness can not handle the electrical load.

I've used the Gerbing's harness on my Silverwing and Burg 400 for the Gerbing's gloves, Aerostich grip warmers, and the Battery Tender with no problem at all. I have the required connectors for all of these items.
US Army vet
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by TonyM »

I decided to switch out the Battery Tender harness today and replace it with my Gerbing's harness so that I can use either my Gerbing's heated gloves or the Aerostich heated grip wraps when the weather gets cold. I also have an adapter so that I can plug my Battery Tender to it.

The cover was only slightly difficult for me to remove. But it was very difficult to get to the battery cable connection screws to remove them. Because of its location and the fact that the seat will not open very much, I had trouble seeing & accessing the screws.

Once I removed the screws and the Battery Tender harness, I tried to install the Gerbing's harness and insert the screws. It was very very difficult for me to do that. And in the process, I dropped one of the screws and it fell down into the bowels of the scooter lost forever. Thankfully, I had an old battery connection screw from when I replaced the Silverwing battery and it worked as a replacement.

After considerable effort, I was able to re-install the screws and connect the battery and then again fight with the three screws to re-install the battery cover. I am very disappointed with Honda in the way that they designed the battery access!
US Army vet
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

It is much easier to undo the battery strap, take off the door completely, and pull the battery through toward you , and then work on it in that position.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI