Dr pulley sliders keep getting stuck , Slow start

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

MaLLoc
Regular User
Regular User

Dr pulley sliders keep getting stuck , Slow start

Post by MaLLoc »

i had this happen once on my 125 pcx and it seemed like dust caught it up , np since i fixed it ,
however now , i got a 2015 pcx and put in dr pulley sliders , within 2 days from 1 light to another i got slow start at take off ( clutch side belt wont go all the way to top ) ,
after taking apart it seemed like 1 slider got stuck in a weird position , after fixing and riding again a few short trips it has happened again.

does anyone else have this problem , and how can i stop this from keep happening so much
MaLLoc
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Dr pulley sliders keep getting stuck , Slow start

Post by MaLLoc »

Image[/URL]
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Are they the correct size?
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

The circled one in the picture looks like it's reversed to the others.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

First I have thought that they have been installed backwards but checked my saved manuals and they seem to be correctly inserted. Then thought that one is reversed, actually it is not reversed, but rolled backwards instead of sliding.
Can it be that your roller holding plate or whatchamacallit is damaged or worn? Or that slider specificly?
iIMHO it has been either stopped on the ramp while sliding backwards towards the inner position and forced to roll, or the specific slider is worn out to a level that it can roll backwards.
MaLLoc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MaLLoc »

Oyabun wrote:First I have thought that they have been installed backwards but checked my saved manuals and they seem to be correctly inserted. Then thought that one is reversed, actually it is not reversed, but rolled backwards instead of sliding.
Can it be that your roller holding plate or whatchamacallit is damaged or worn? Or that slider specificly?
iIMHO it has been either stopped on the ramp while sliding backwards towards the inner position and forced to roll, or the specific slider is worn out to a level that it can roll backwards.

YA SOMETHING IS GOING ON LIKE THAT OOPS CAPS , i open the case up each time to fix this and this is how it looks when i list off the back plate , the sliders was used in my other 125 pcx and now in the 150 pcx 2015 , should be same size , and thir is now scratches on it from this happening i guess , the variator has only 3000 miles on it , the sliders i think have less , so maybe i just need to buy new sliders all over again grrrrr ,
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Next time if yiu have it open, try to identify the sliders (I've seen a brilliant idea from someone on the forum marking them with dots like on a dice [D6 if you have ever played any P&P RPG games ;-)]) and also mark the ramp it is happening on. Then just randomly rotate sliders in the ramps to see if it happens random, on a specific ramp, or with a specific slider.
MaLLoc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MaLLoc »

Oyabun wrote:Next time if yiu have it open, try to identify the sliders (I've seen a brilliant idea from someone on the forum marking them with dots like on a dice [D6 if you have ever played any P&P RPG games ;-)]) and also mark the ramp it is happening on. Then just randomly rotate sliders in the ramps to see if it happens random, on a specific ramp, or with a specific slider.
Yeah I saw that dice post , and thanks for the idea , I thought of it and did not do it yet , I'm sure it will happen again ,, marking the ramps is good idea too , thanks
GeeGusKahn
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by GeeGusKahn »

MaLLoc wrote:
Oyabun wrote:Next time if yiu have it open, try to identify the sliders (I've seen a brilliant idea from someone on the forum marking them with dots like on a dice [D6 if you have ever played any P&P RPG games ;-)]) and also mark the ramp it is happening on. Then just randomly rotate sliders in the ramps to see if it happens random, on a specific ramp, or with a specific slider.

Yeah I saw that dice post , and thanks for the idea , I thought of it and did not do it yet , I'm sure it will happen again ,, marking the ramps is good idea too , thanks

Great ideas that will help to solve or eliminate different parts.
Hay MaLLoc, what type of variator is that that you are using ?
Sean
Sean, who loves Hi-Vis everything.
2013 Red PCX150 - NCY V and DF, 11 g rollers, stock OEM belt.
2006 Wht. Burgman 650, 30,000+ miles, running like a champ..
MaLLoc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MaLLoc »

GeeGusKahn wrote: Hay MaLLoc, what type of variator is that that you are using ?
Sean[/b]
im using the stock 2015 150 variator
GeeGusKahn
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeeGusKahn »

Hay MaLLoc
I have had no problem with sliders turning like that.
All different weights with both OEM and an after market variator.
Before I bought any new slider, I think I would try to find the cause.
If faced with a similar problem I think I might try the following:
Yes, mark each slider with a dot or whatever.
Yes, mark each ramp area so it can be separately ID-ed.
I would clean the ramp plate and movable plate with brake or carb cleaner.
I would wash the sliders really well with dish washing or similar cleaner.
Don't know if brake cleaner would have an effect on slider material.
Carefully feel for any possible imperfections in slider area and ramp plate.
Make sure the boss is sliding smoothly in and out of movable plate.
Once I thought to self that I could put a drop of oil on sleeve bearing in movable plate - wrong.
When I checked it after a ride or two, it was not moving smoothly on the boss.
It held onto the smallest bits of dust, dirt, and what have you inside the CVT cover.
Won't do that again.
Keep us informed to what you are doing and the outcome.
Always love to see when solution to problem is found. :geek:
Sean
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Sean,

Why do you write in a different font from all others?

I think I would sand the sides of the sliders with 1500 or 2000 grit paper to make sure they slide in the slot. Also be very careful when installing so one doesn't move during installation.
GeeGusKahn
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeeGusKahn »

waspmike wrote:Sean,

I think I would sand the sides of the sliders with 1500 or 2000 grit paper to make sure they slide in the slot. Also be very careful when installing so one doesn't move during installation.
Hay waspmike - NOT sure about different fonts.
Just fun to play with and sometimes it helps to emphasize the subject matter or a point or whatever. :lol:
Sean
MaLLoc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MaLLoc »

ok guys at this point i have not driven the scooter yet after fixing the slider again , for it to happen again , , its been raining and i also have motorcycles too i ride , when it happens again i will first try the sand paper on the slider as i did notice some scratches on it from when it got stuck i guess , and i will mark the slides and ramps , and yes i have cleaned the variator with alcohol and paper towel and blow air to clear dust , after this i think i will have to order a new set of sliders , although i really need only the one replaced , however i cant seem to find only 1 for sale.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MaLLoc wrote:

ok guys at this point i have not driven the scooter yet after fixing the slider again , for it to happen again , , its been raining and i also have motorcycles too i ride , when it happens again i will first try the sand paper on the slider as i did notice some scratches on it from when it got stuck i guess , and i will mark the slides and ramps , and yes i have cleaned the variator with alcohol and paper towel and blow air to clear dust , after this i think i will have to order a new set of sliders , although i really need only the one replaced , however i cant seem to find only 1 for sale.

I doubt if there ismuch demand for an individual slider Plus its probably best to replace them as a set?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

After you put it back together you can run it on the stand with the cover off to watch and see what is happening. Maybe the contra spring is weak in the back. I've never had any trouble with my sliders.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

[quote=]although i really need only the one replaced , however i cant seem to find only 1 for sale.[/quote]

I doubt if there is much demand for an individual slider Plus its probably best to replace them as a set?[/quote]

Have you got a picture of the damage. A little bit of fine grit sandpaper can work wonders.
MaLLoc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MaLLoc »

waspmike wrote:
wrote:although i really need only the one replaced , however i cant seem to find only 1 for sale.

I doubt if there is much demand for an individual slider Plus its probably best to replace them as a set?
Have you got a picture of the damage. A little bit of fine grit sandpaper can work wonders.[/quote]

if you hit Ctrl button and mouse wheel up and zoom in on my pic you can see the damage on the right upper corner and the upper middle
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

All I see is a little bit of scuffing, which I am sure could be taken out with fine grit 1000 or 1500 sand paper. Use a ceramic tile, and old pliece of glass from a picture frame or a welding shield glass window to keep the paper flat.
MaLLoc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MaLLoc »

waspmike wrote:All I see is a little bit of scuffing, which I am sure could be taken out with fine grit 1000 or 1500 sand paper. Use a ceramic tile, and old pliece of glass from a picture frame or a welding shield glass window to keep the paper flat.
thanks for the tec info on the glass ussage