Aftermarket Clutch.... up-grade..? pro's or con's..?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

ThailandPCX
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Aftermarket Clutch.... up-grade..? pro's or con's..?

Post by ThailandPCX »

Hello PCX Forum... (again) just looking into some performance up-grades for my 2015 PCX 150... and surfing the internet... I see a lot of "Clutches" for sell... typically labeled 'Racing Clutch'... adjustable racing clutch - here you can manually adjust your clutch... non-adjustable racing clutch with spring set - here you adjust your clutch with different springs...

And some manufacturers talk about their clutch "stick" at 6500 rpm... Ok, I got the stick part - No Slippage... but, what the Honda Stock Clutch has a tendency to slip at higher rpm?... I don't know

So, (again) from all us PCX riders... what's the real deal on changing to an aftermarket "Clutch"... any advantage to a aftermarket 'Racing Clutch'.... or just a alternative to replacement when the stock clutch wears out?....

I live in Thailand... So, NOT the same aftermarket products you see in the States... any PCX riders in America or other counties... I welcome you to check out POLINI products for your PCX...

http://www.polini.com/catalogo/en/risul ... o&id=68689

Thanks Again to ALL PXC riders..!!!!
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Aftermarket Clutch.... up-grade..? pro's or con's..?

Post by waspmike »

ThailandPCX wrote:
And some manufacturers talk about their clutch "stick" at 6500 rpm... Ok, I got the stick part - No Slippage... but, what the Honda Stock Clutch has a tendency to slip at higher rpm?... I don't know
If you put stiffer springs in the clutch you are, using car phraseology, essentially creating a high stall converter. So you will increase the RPM at which the clutch starts to engage. 6500 sounds a bit high for a PCX I think the one you quoted is for two-stroke 50cc scooters.
A similar advantage can be gained by using a different variator which changes slightly the lowest gearing available so the engine revs a bit more on initial take-off.

A 500 rpm difference in the clutch take-up is about 1200-ish in engine revs.

If you have a "high stall converter" the clutch take up will be the same for high speed starts from traffic lights as it will for puttering around car parks.

If one is a bit heavier than average there may be some advantage but as you said
unless you are Drag Racing your PCX 150 in a 1/10th of a mile...
A clutch won't help much for roll-on acceleration unless one is at very low speed or for hill climbing unless you are talking about initial take-off.
ThailandPCX
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Re: Aftermarket Clutch.... up-grade..? pro's or con's..?

Post by ThailandPCX »

Hey Mike - Thanks for the lesson in Clutches... yes, you are correct - I did read that somewhere and thinking back, I can remember it was for a 50cc scooter...