hello there, some advice please ?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

spaglemon
Year: 2012
Color: Red

hello there, some advice please ?

Post by spaglemon »

Hi,

Just joined the forum as I'm in the market for a 125 scooter and have settled on the pcx, went to see a 2010 model yesterday with 15,000 miles and it turned out to have been down the road on it's side at some point with fairly extensive panel damage.

Going to see another one tomorrow that looks much better, 2012 in red with just under 3,000 miles on it. I have fairly extensive knowledge on geared bikes, and always carry out my own servicing and repairs, I currently own a mint 1992 CB1000 which I've had for almost 10 years and I intend to keep it forever, my wife has a Hornet 600, we're very much Honda fans. I am however virtually clueless when it comes to the cvt belt drive system, is there anything in particular I should be looking for with regard to this area ? is there any way to thoroughly test it's working as it should when looking over the bike tomorrow ?

Any advice would be very much appreciated ?

Thanks
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Re: hello there, some advice please ?

Post by j.d.b. »

Welcome!
I'm new to these, as well(also coming from geared bikes). Ride it. It should hook up and pull smooth and "strong" from a start (right off idle) as well as slowing the bike much like a downshift. My '13 lets go to a "neutral" feel about nine (indicated) mph on slowing. It should be quiet, though, on decels you can hear the rear-end gearing whine, but not terribly loudly. Just enough to know it's there. These bikes are very much like Honda cars reduced to a scooter. Quite refined and consistent. Sort of "digital". They either work, or they don't. Not much marginal behavior other than when the CVT or rear clutch acts up or shows wear. They are usually (from reading here) working as they deteriorate. Not too much catastrophic failure (which is nice). There are several way more experienced riders here who will, no doubt chime in with more and better info.
Now that I think of it, there are several good YouTube clips showing the CVT in action. well worth the watch. If you DO get a PCX, get the manual. Also well worth it.
Ride safe!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Watch out for "performance" modifications.
You want something which has not been fucked around with.
If there are any modifications in evidence, just walk away.
The CVT belt change interval is 12,500 miles, if the scooter has more than this mileage, ask if its had a new belt.
They're really easy to change so not a biggie if it hasn't been done.
Stay away from non-ESP models due to the achilles heel of the centrestand mounts which can rip holes out of the crankcase.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Test ride would be good, unless the owner will allow you to take apart the transmission to have a look inside.

Given that it's still somewhat new, it should be able to reach top speed of 67 mph bone stock. A lesser top speed like 60 mph could indicate an upshifting problem with the transmission. 64 mph should still be okay, as that could just be due to belt wear. Transmission parts are simple and easy to replace outside of the gear sprockets. Unless the engine or camshaft are modded, I would take it anyway if it's a good price and you can simply buy the stock parts and put them back in.

Despite the mixed feelings around performance mods, only the engine, camshaft, and intake mods are problematic in the sense that you can't easily undo them.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Aye, you found it real easy to sort yours out when it all went pear shaped.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Valiant wrote:Test ride would be good, unless the owner will allow you to take apart the transmission to have a look inside.

Given that it's still somewhat new, it should be able to reach top speed of 67 mph bone stock. A lesser top speed like 60 mph could indicate an upshifting problem with the transmission. 64 mph should still be okay, as that could just be due to belt wear. Transmission parts are simple and easy to replace outside of the gear sprockets. Unless the engine or camshaft are modded, I would take it anyway if it's a good price and you can simply buy the stock parts and put them back in.

Despite the mixed feelings around performance mods, only the engine, camshaft, and intake mods are problematic in the sense that you can't easily undo them.
is that 67 in UK parlance, or U.S.? also are you talking about actual MPH or indicated? I've had mine up to an indicated 65 on a flat. I didn't have it WOT though since I haven't hit the end of the 300 mile break-in yet. I know the top speed of my old scoot was 64 and it was completely stock as well.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
spaglemon
Year: 2012

Post by spaglemon »

Thanks guys, how can I tell if it's an esp model ?

Cheers
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

It's written on the rear air filter cover - just look at the engine area and the large black plastic parts on the side of the engine (lhs).
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:Test ride would be good, unless the owner will allow you to take apart the transmission to have a look inside.

I'm not sure that the transmission does any shifting up or down as its a constantly variable transmission and doesn't have shiftable gearbox.

I'm not an expert though...
Beachboy
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2022

Post by Beachboy »

It's an automatic transmittion. Twist and go. Deal with it.
Life's a beach in Thailand
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

you you wrote:

I'm not sure that the transmission does any shifting up or down as its a constantly variable transmission and doesn't have shiftable gearbox.

You may not be an expert, but you're correct. The CVT is basically comprized of two pullies. The drive shaft from the engine goes to the variator (the inside part of the front pulley). As the variator spins, the weights inside roll outward, pushing the variator lid out which pinches the belt into the outer plate, thereby changing the power ratio at the front. The rear pulley is spring loaded and spreads out as power from the front pulley is transferred to the back. Since there are no actual gears, the power is smooth and continuous. It's quite an ingenous design really.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

honkerman wrote:
you you wrote:

You may not be an expert, but you're correct. The CVT is basically comprized of two pullies. The drive shaft from the engine goes to the variator (the inside part of the front pulley). As the variator spins, the weights inside roll outward, pushing the variator lid out which pinches the belt into the outer plate, thereby changing the power ratio at the front. The rear pulley is spring loaded and spreads out as power from the front pulley is transferred to the back. Since there are no actual gears, the power is smooth and continuous. It's quite an ingenous design really.

It sounds complicated but the way you explain it it sounds so simple.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Its extremely simple indeed, also very cheap to manufacture and very easy to maintain.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Its extremely simple indeed, also very cheap to manufacture and very easy to maintain.

Gosh