Headlight spider frame/mount

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

amruth92
Year: 2010
Color: White

Headlight spider frame/mount

Post by amruth92 »

Hello! Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place...

I unfortunately [and incredibly stupidly] crashed my PCX a few weeks ago, but it appeared that the only items to have sustained damage were the front bodywork panels, and the headlights.

However, whilst replacing the body panels, I found that not all of them were fitting together properly, and the cause was probably the fact that the headlight frame / mount / spider was bent on one side, as it took the brunt of the impact. This obviously meant that the headlights weren't sitting completely correctly on the bike, and the front fairing panels weren't attaching completely correctly as a result. What this has meant is that the fairings are secure, but there are a couple of strange gaps between them and the surrounding bodywork areas, and I'm unable to fit the 'interior' body work [i.e. the black plastics that surround the keyhole and glovebox] until everything's straightened out.

I was just wondering: has anyone on the forum actually replaced this mount - how easy is it? Is it something I could do myself, or would you recommend I take it to a mechanic? Are there any particular precautions I'd need to be aware of before starting work on it?

Thank you in advance for your help!
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: Headlight spider frame/mount

Post by dasshreddar »

Welcome... I have modified this mount several times on both pcx and forza.
I don't know your skill level, but you should be able to bend the headlight frame back into shape( it is somewhat thin metal and bends easy enough).
taking it to a mechanic would be soooo expensive... replacing the headlight frame isn't hard, but would probably take you a long time.
amruth92

Post by amruth92 »

dasshreddar wrote:Welcome... I have modified this mount several times on both pcx and forza.
I don't know your skill level, but you should be able to bend the headlight frame back into shape( it is somewhat thin metal and bends easy enough).
taking it to a mechanic would be soooo expensive... replacing the headlight frame isn't hard, but would probably take you a long time.
Thanks for your help and for the welcome! :)

I assume I'd need some sort of welding skill? I tried to see if I could just bend it back into shape with brute strength, but I felt a bit silly for even trying!
Sadly, I have never welded in my life, and have absolutely no access to any welding tools.

I've attached a picture where I've circled the part of the frame that appears to be bent, in case that has any impact on the course of action I'd have to take...

Thanks again! :)
Attachments
IMG_20150814_113052.jpg
IMG_20150814_113052.jpg (158.37 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Yeah that sure is bent. I think cutting the bent piece off and re welding it in a stockish position would be the easiest.
but try bending it with a large prybar and or take the frame off and hammer it back into submission. ;)
probably will take a long time to get just right... but definitely doable. 8)
amruth92

Post by amruth92 »

dasshreddar wrote:hammer
Aaah-ha! Hammer! Forgot about using a hammer. Will it really bend that easily, though? Looks pretty tough, to me! I'll give it a go, but if it doesn't work out, I've got a replacement spider on the way, so I'll just need to have lots patience and time!

Thanks for your advice :)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

BEND IT!!!

My first scooter was a Honda Reflex that the previous owner had damaged the same way. I bent a similar subframe back with great effort (a friend had to hold the bike while I tugged with all my 150lbs of "might"). The frame was close enough for the panels to mount well enough to be passable from a 10-foot distance. Good luck with your repair, and reference this if you have trouble getting her back together: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2630
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
amruth92

Post by amruth92 »

maddiedog wrote:BEND IT!!!

My first scooter was a Honda Reflex that the previous owner had damaged the same way. I bent a similar subframe back with great effort (a friend had to hold the bike while I tugged with all my 150lbs of "might"). The frame was close enough for the panels to mount well enough to be passable from a 10-foot distance. Good luck with your repair, and reference this if you have trouble getting her back together: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2630
Thank you! Luckily, my new subframe arrived today! I'll see if I can bend the old one back in to shape, but I'll give replacing it a go if I don't have the strength!

Also: thank you so much for that guide. It was absolutely indispensable when it came to dismantling and attempting to rebuild the bodywork! I've got it bookmarked and it will always be my go-to resource!