What would you change on the PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Re: What would you change on the PCX

Post by Tristik »

~~
Actually, they should just make the Reflex again and half the things people want on a PCX would be moot. Standard models seems a bit bulky, but the 'sport' models were awesome.
~~
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

The hydraulic lifters would definitely be a good idea, but if I'm not mistaken, they cannot be used in high-revving engines. I wonder how many motorbikes out there have them.

I won't ask for too much. Some more wind protection (which wouldn't be too difficult, it's almost inexistent), and an engine that had been brought to the 15 HP legal limit for the 125 cc motorbikes here in the EU. With a proper transmission, that would have made the PCX capable of reaching some good 110-120 km/h, bringing her a bit closer to the highway-motorway (I like to keep everyone happy :lol: ;) ) "capable" category.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Back in the 80s, Honda's CBX750 had hydraulic auto valve adjusters and it revved to 10,000rpm.
Same engine slightly detuned was in the thoroughly gorgeous CB SevenFifty
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jasontheparamedic »

That grey middle road between 250cc and 400cc, nicely covered by competitors such as the Suzuki Burgman and Kymco Downtown 300. Or...just bring back the Reflex.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

gn2 wrote:Back in the 80s, Honda's CBX750 had hydraulic auto valve adjusters and it revved to 10,000rpm.
Same engine slightly detuned was in the thoroughly gorgeous CB SevenFifty
Good info there. Question is, what's the reason why they aren't used in modern motorbike engines?.
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

What gn2 said on the previous page plus more robust suspension - I've just done 1300 miles in 5 days and the only thing that was a problem was the suspension not really being up to the job.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

A very good question.
The cynic in me would suggest that it would rob dealers of revenue from servicing as they are almost completely maintenance free.
Honda wouldn't even have to do auto valve adjusters, just adopt the same style of valve train that the CBR250R has, it's valve clearance check interval is so long (48,000km) that many of them will never need it done before they get scrapped.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Well, I wouldn't say cynic. Just realistic. I've talked to some other bikers I know and their valve adjustments intervals are, in some cases, well over 20.000 kms. On the other hand, think of Honda's VTEC engines in the Civic Type-R and her relatives. They rev up to 9500 rpm. Do they use hydraulic lifters?. I bet they do.
lactic

Post by lactic »

A clock, better rear suspension (the ride on country roads is erm bouncy to say the least), bigger fuel tank & slightly more height in the under seat storage (my helmet doesn't fit properly under there).
Image Image
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Angle the oil drain hole so the oil avoids the centre stand when draining
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Oh oh!
The light in my head just switched on.....
You just reminded me of a big important one, oil sight glass instead of a dipstick.
Timmygp

Post by Timmygp »

A cup holder!!! I'm gonna rig one up!!!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

A lot of good suggestions here, want some of them myself. Bike needs a louder horn and just a bit wider hand grip area. Here's hoping Honda is reading?
So, I'm curious how much better is the new 150 seat? What change did they make to it?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Move the key or make the plastic part deformable in an accident as its pretty close to my right kneecap
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

WhiteNoise wrote:What change did they make to it?
The new seat's a bit wider, with the hump higher up on your back, and comfier. If you get a chance, go take a sit on one, it's everything the PCX 125's seat should have been. :lol:

I'm going to disagree with most of the calls for more displacement. I disagree that they put the limiter in where they did -- they should have left the engine / drivetrain more like the UK's SWing, with a top speed closer to 70mph. I like the power right where it is -- it's a scooter, not a beastly motorcycle.

I would beef up the rear suspension, it's really quite insufficient. I'd remove the useless parking brake from the US model. I'd make it easier to have a rear rack like mine, that doesn't involve using an angle grinder to mount it. :P The 150's seat would make a nice upgrade too.

I wouldn't mind ABS, but the added cost probably isn't worth it.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Scooters can have bigger engines without being beastly motorcycles.
The Vespa GTS 300 is a beautiful machine, not at all beastly ;)

As for ABS its going to be a lot more commonplace in the next few years when it becomes mandatory on all two wheelers over 125cc in the European Union.
Having used ABS in anger I am of the opinion that it is very definitely worth the additional expense.
Not that it costs much, the difference between an ABS and a non ABS S-wing 125 or CBR250R is currently just £150.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Scooters can have bigger engines without being beastly motorcycles.
The Vespa GTS 300 is a beautiful machine, not at all beastly ;)

As for ABS its going to be a lot more commonplace in the next few years when it becomes mandatory on all two wheelers over 125cc in the European Union.
Having used ABS in anger I am of the opinion that it is very definitely worth the additional expense.
Not that it costs much, the difference between an ABS and a non ABS S-wing 125 or CBR250R is currently just £150.

ABS over 125 is becoming mandatory, are you sure?

Sorry, I'll rephrase that. Is it a fact?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Excellent. So proposals from 2010

You had me worried there
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Indeed they are proposals but just look at how many new models have ABS these days to see that the manufacturers are taking it very seriously.
So its pretty much accepted that ABS for bikes will become mandatory, even in Yorkshire.
Sorry that link seems broken, I'll try again.
What's to be worried about anyway?
ABS might save your sorry miserable arse one day.
Ah, I see what you mean now.