USA Forza Recall on Electrical System

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

drol343
Year: Forza 2014 ABS
Color: Forza Red

Post by drol343 »

USA VIN Lookup... https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

Report Receipt Date: JUL 08, 2015
NHTSA Campaign Number: 15V439000
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected: 45,153
All Products Associated with this Recall close
Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)
HONDACB300F2015HONDACB5002014-2015HONDACBR3002015HONDACBR5002014-2015HONDACBR6002015HONDACBR6502014-2015HONDACRF250L2014-2015HONDACTX7002014-2015HONDANC7002014-2016, HONDA NSS 3002014-2015, HONDAST1300PA2013-2015HONDAVT13002014-2015HONDAVT7502014-2015

Manufacturer: Honda (American Honda Motor Co.)

SUMMARY:
Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain model year 2013-2015 ST1300PA, 2014-2015 CB500, CBR500, CRF250L, CBR650, CTX700, NSS300, VT750, VT1300, 2015 CB300F, CBR300, CBR600, and 2014-2016 NC700 motorcycles. In the affected motorcycles, sealant may have been incorrectly applied to the starter relay switch, and as a result, the electrical system may have a loss of power.

CONSEQUENCE:
A loss of electrical power may cause an engine stall, increasing the risk of a crash.

REMEDY:
Honda will notify owners, and dealers will replace any affected starter relay switch, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Honda customer service at 1-866-784-1870 FREE. Honda's number for this recall is JS9 and JT0.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 FREE (TTY 1-800-424-9153 FREE), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
drol343 (USA)
Dennis
2014 Honda FORZA NSS300A
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 NSS300A
Color: Seal Silver

Post by DioTiAma »

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: USA Forza Recall on Electrical System

Post by homie »

OMG!.. kill it and put it out of it's misery
Attachments
mac&chief2.jpg
mac&chief2.jpg (10.11 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

homie wrote:OMG!.. kill it and put it out of it's misery
That made me :lol: !
It's one thing after another...
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Post by Branyers14 »

Call me crazy, but I believe the reason for the decline in reliability has to do with quality control or lack thereof. They have taken production of many of their machines out of Japan to save on assembly costs and it shows! While I had no issues with my PCX for the 2 years that I owned it, I fear I should have researched more before I traded it in for a Forza.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I've bought two Thai built Hondas, PCX and Forza.
Never again.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Branyers14 wrote:Call me crazy, but I believe the reason for the decline in reliability has to do with quality control or lack thereof. They have taken production of many of their machines out of Japan to save on assembly costs and it shows! While I had no issues with my PCX for the 2 years that I owned it, I fear I should have researched more before I traded it in for a Forza.
Pcx is a good reliable scooter even in modified state, sad same can't be said about Forza.
Feel sorry for those who just wanted that bit more power and went for bigger scooter (Forza) option and got them selfs tangled in to a lemon sharade at big cost considering how much they sold the Pcx for and had to pay quite a bit extra for Forza.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Although my Forza has had a few warranty repairs and the fuel pump recall, it has never once failed to get me to and from work.
Apart from the time I forgot to put fuel in it.....
Fortunately I have a very good dealer who lends me a bike (completely free of charge) while the Forza is being worked on.
So far this year I've had an NC750S and a Yamaha R3 to play with.
Which was nice.
True that the PCX is reliable, apart from the ones that break down or suffer mechanical failures.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

14000 miles on my Forza. Haven't had a single issue. Took it in for the fuel pump recall couple weeks ago just for kicks.
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers14 »

Maybe the Forza WAS rushed to market. My bike was not affected by this, but it is still disconcerting to say the least. Suddenly a Burgman doesn't sound so bad.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I don't think it was rushed, the problem is that corners have been cut with the quality of components and some assembly problems during manufacture.
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers14 »

Thai quality control doesn't rival Japanese quality control. The Japs have knowledge of this, yet they proceed regardless. It's no different with China made household items that are dumped on the US. We know better, but we do it anyway. As a result, we have a "disposable in 2 years" mentality. Sad thing is, it all ends up in a landfill somewhere.

Ok, I'm done over analyzing this. My point is, I hope the Forza isn't "disposable".
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: red

Post by TonyM »

How special, I've had my new Forza exactly one week and there's a recall on it. But, on the other hand, I got a recall shortly after I bought my 2008 Burg 400 (rectifier thingie). I hope this is it for recalls.
US Army vet
Previous rides: many motorcycles; 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Kymco S250; and 2008 Burg 400
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Branyers14 wrote:Thai quality control doesn't rival Japanese quality control. The Japs have knowledge of this, yet they proceed regardless. It's no different with China made household items that are dumped on the US. We know better, but we do it anyway. As a result, we have a "disposable in 2 years" mentality. Sad thing is, it all ends up in a landfill somewhere.

Ok, I'm done over analyzing this. My point is, I hope the Forza isn't "disposable".

Its built under Honda quality control, which is a Japanese company.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The company which makes the Forza isn't Japanese.
Its a Thai company which is a subsidiary of Honda Japan.
http://world.honda.com/group/Thailand/
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by tbln930 »

Anything sold in the US is going to be under tremendous pressure to do recalls for even rare issues because of litigation. They are constantly fining and suing the manufacturers here. Honda, Toyota, Chrysler, and GM, etc. know all too well lately. Toyota makes the most reliable cars made or imported in the US and they get beat on a lot by the government. They sued the pants off them for a non-existent acceleration problem. After zillions of dollars were spent only one Toyota car actually had a problem that was not driver/owner induced. If the companies have big $$$$$ they will go after them.

We can't hardly keep up with the recalls as customers sometimes and do at least the critical ones. Its hard to weed through the important ones where parts are really failing and potential ones that may fail randomly and rarely sometimes but require the car for half a day or more in the shop.

I just had a car recall completed which turned out to be an airbag software update for a rare possibility on a rollover when the airbag would not deploy on the sides.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
agent89
Year: 2014
Color: red

Post by agent89 »

Before the Forza I had a Grom, which I had to take to the shop for the same fuel pump issue as the Forza's. That dealer did the work as promised, but did a poor job of assembling the gas tank area. I sold it so I could get the Forza. For that reason I am not taking my Forza to that dealer for work. I just hope that this is a real simple job and does not include much disassembly.
Lets just hope that this one is the last one. Also when I was at the dealer to pick up my new scooter, the service desk told me that the bike was not ready, because they sourced it form another dealer that did the fuel pump replacement, but did it wrong so they had to re do it! Turned out that was some other customers bike, not mine. But still!! Only positive is another trip to the shop, can't leave without some accessories.
Gnarg

Post by Gnarg »

Nightmare! I brought my Foza to the honda dealer today to have the switch inspected and/or replaced. Turns out my switch was not one from the recall lot. Heres where the nightmare starts. When putting the bike back togeher the person they had working on it who was not there Honda certified mechenic but a detail prep guy who droped a bolt down into the lower engine conpartment. So 2 hours latter they still were trying to fish the bolt out and had to remove more panels etc. After another hour aftef putting the forza back together it would no longer start and they seemed clueless. This is a brand new Forza 2015 ABS with only 200 miles on it we are talking about. So now they are going to replace the starter switch. Update anither hour later b4 they took it apart i asked them to make sure that they were fully depressing the left brake hanndle. Bingo! they had not done that which is why of course it would not start. Had they let me
Remain in the garge where i could have watched what they were doing (or not doing in this case) a lot of wasted time could have been avoided. 3.5 hours of my day wasted at the dealership because they were clueless.
Gnarg

Post by Gnarg »

Nightmare! I brought my Foza to the honda dealer today to have the switch inspected and/or replaced. Turns out my switch was not one from the recall lot. Here's where the nightmare starts. When putting the bike back together the person they had working on it who was not the Honda certified mechenic but a prep & delivery guy dropped a bolt down into the lower engine compartment. So 2 hours latter they still were trying to fish the bolt out and had to remove more panels etc. After another hour of putting the Forza back together it would no longer start and they seemed clueless. This is a brand new Forza 2015 ABS with only 200 miles on it we are talking about. So after more timed pass they decided they are going to replace the starter switch anyway to see if that would get it to start. Update another hour later b4 they took it apart for the second time i asked them to make sure that they were fully depressing the left brake hanndle. Bingo! they had not done that which is why of course it would not start. Had they let me
remain in the garge where i could have watched what they were doing (or not doing in this case) a lot of wasted time could have been avoided. 3.5 hours of my day wasted at the dealership because they were clueless. Of course after getting a earfull from me because trust me im not shy at telling you if you SUCK at your job i finely got the Forza back. My sales guy who happened to be there for this whole ordeal told me the were just about ready to ask me to leave the Forza with them. Imagine that you come in for what was supposed to be (their words) a 5 minute check to see if the starter switch was from the lot of ones under recall and next thing your looking for a ride home because they have disabled your new scooter and cant figure out how to get it running. To say i was sort of pissed is being kind. Once the scooter was returned to me i inspected it and found that they had left some of the pins only half inserted where the underneath body panels meet. I had to climb under the scooter pull one of the pins out and reinsert it myself. Hopefully they put the stuff back together properly that i couldent see. I will take a closer look this weekend. Unless its a life or death safety issue i wil not be going back to the Honda dealer for any more recall campaigns. I never let any of the local dealers touch my GTX limited seadoo. I have had it since new for 9 years now and its still in mint condition and part of that i attribute to not letting fricking clueless motorcycle mechanics ever get thier hands on it. I do all my own work on the seadoo. I guess it's time i learn how to do my own work on the Forza.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

My Forza is 15 months old and coming up to 7k miles. No problems whatsoever.

Same for the Vision which I had previously and rode 6k miles through the winter. Absolutely faultless.