How long have you been scooting?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Walrus
Regular User
Regular User

How long have you been scooting?

Post by Walrus »

I'm not saying I'm old, but on my last birthday when I tried to blow out the candles on my cake the heat drove me back. Here is my best friend and I riding an old early 1960's Sears Allstate scooter (made by Vespa I think). It belonged to my friends brother and we snatched it for a joy ride in the 60's whenever he wasn't around. The brother is responsible for the custom hand paint job. This was the first two wheeled motorized vehicle I ever rode approximately 50 years ago. I have been a scooter fan ever since. We both soon got our own small displacement bikes and with a few more friends our tiny gang was born. What got you started?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: How long have you been scooting?

Post by Jge64 »

Less than a month here.....but all my life with motorcycles....18 years with Honda , BMW & Kawasaki corporate. Retired now, and here everyone owns golf carts to get around , how boring!

Love the scoot, so much fun for neighborhood trips.....and faster than a golf cart!
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Walrus wrote:I'm not saying I'm old, but on my last birthday when I tried to blow out the candles on my cake the heat drove me back. Here is my best friend and I riding an old early 1960's Sears Allstate scooter (made by Vespa I think). It belonged to my friends brother and we snatched it for a joy ride in the 60's whenever he wasn't around. The brother is responsible for the custom hand paint job. This was the first two wheeled motorized vehicle I ever rode approximately 50 years ago. I have been a scooter fan ever since. We both soon got our own small displacement bikes and with a few more friends our tiny gang was born. What got you started?

:D I'll pinch the heat drove me back :D
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

I had a PX125 when I was at uni nearly 20 years ago (!). last year we had to giveu p a car so I got a Vision. I'll go back to a proper scoot one day, but for now just need reliability and simplicity.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

What got me interested was Victor Devine's bike showroom near my primary school, I remember looking at the gleaming new Nortons and Triumphs in the window.
I had bikes for years but always had a hankering for the practicality of a scooter.
My first scooter was a PCX and I bought it because I was bored with the bike I had and didn't ride it much.
Once I got a scooter I started riding more, it rekindled my enjoyment of riding.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

Originally back in 1966 when I had a Vespa 90..but of course moved onto a car in1970/71.. Came back 5 years ago when approaching retirement with a honda 125cc Swing..and 12 months ago the Forza..best move since retiring
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Walrus wrote:I'm not saying I'm old, but on my last birthday when I tried to blow out the candles on my cake the heat drove me back. Here is my best friend and I riding an old early 1960's Sears Allstate scooter (made by Vespa I think). It belonged to my friends brother and we snatched it for a joy ride in the 60's whenever he wasn't around. The brother is responsible for the custom hand paint job. This was the first two wheeled motorized vehicle I ever rode approximately 50 years ago. I have been a scooter fan ever since. We both soon got our own small displacement bikes and with a few more friends our tiny gang was born. What got you started?

Yep they were rebranded Vespas I'm sure, but I could be wrong. I used to read the American motorcycles mags and dreamt of Hodakas. Hope I got that right. Tiny two stoke bikes.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

you you wrote:

Yep they were rebranded Vespas I'm sure, but I could be wrong. I used to read the American motorcycles mags and dreamt of Hodakas. Hope I got that right. Tiny two stoke bikes.

Bloody hell I've just googled Hodaka and nearly wet myself with excitement. Now I know why my first new bike was a Kawasaki ke175
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

I still feel the mix of two stroke exhoust fumes and fog-rotten autumn leaves in my nose when my late father first brought me to kindergarten in '79. I was riding in front of him on the tank reaching out to the handlebars while riding his Verkhovina 50 moped.
I'm lost to motorized two wheelers since then, owning all kinds of motorcycles - however I only bought my first scooter a month ago in form of a fine PCX 125.
Kenno
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014/2015

Post by Kenno »

I've always liked bikes and very nearly got a scooter when I was 17 - until I sat on a Peugeot Speedfight 100 and my girlfriend at the time laughed saying it was too small for me, so that put me off for a while!
My wife has always hated motorbikes saying they're too dangerous, so never considered getting one until I noticed that the price of a brand new PCX on finance was about the same as I was spending on tunnel fees alone (£1.70 each way for cars, free for bikes), and would save me loads on petrol and (more importantly) time. So, I got my PCX at the end of last year (at 34), and loved it so much I'm (hopefully) about to pass my full bike licence.
I'll still keep the scooter for commuting, but might buy a proper bike too if I can find the right one, ideally a very cheap and very well looked after Honda Hornet! I won't have time to ride much other than the commute so can't justify spending too much, and I'll still need to convince my wife anyway!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Scooter-wise I have only been riding for 3 or 4 years. However, motorcycle-wise, I have been riding since my first Harley in 1964-65 when I was 17-18 and in the military. Through all the years, I have owned all sorts of bikes. I have always been conservative in my riding, so I am still around, though many of my riding friends are not. I see riders on sport bikes doing all sorts of tricks on them and I know in my heart that if they continue riding like that they will be a statistic also. It looks cool, but in the end the video may be all that is left to remind others of them.
With that said, riding scooters has been the most fun I have had on bikes. My PCX 150 is nimble and just plain fun. My wife and I ride the back country roads and enjoy the view as well as the fresh air.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Scooter, 2 years
Motorcycles, 41 years.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
mikecalderone
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mikecalderone »

Scooting 10 years since I bought my 2005 Burgman 650. On two wheels Motorcycling since 1974 :D
My Rides:
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
2015 Honda CTX700ND

Previous Rides:
2014 Honda Forza 300
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650
2009 Burgman 400
2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600
2005 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1500
2003 Honda VT750
1992 Honda elite
1986 Kawasaki KZ600 inline 4
1979 Honda CL350
1977 Honda SL125
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Kenno wrote:I've always liked bikes and very nearly got a scooter when I was 17 - until I sat on a Peugeot Speedfight 100 and my girlfriend at the time laughed saying it was too small for me, so that put me off for a while!
My wife has always hated motorbikes saying they're too dangerous, so never considered getting one until I noticed that the price of a brand new PCX on finance was about the same as I was spending on tunnel fees alone (£1.70 each way for cars, free for bikes), and would save me loads on petrol and (more importantly) time. So, I got my PCX at the end of last year (at 34), and loved it so much I'm (hopefully) about to pass my full bike licence.
I'll still keep the scooter for commuting, but might buy a proper bike too if I can find the right one, ideally a very cheap and very well looked after Honda Hornet! I won't have time to ride much other than the commute so can't justify spending too much, and I'll still need to convince my wife anyway!

Want to buy a factory fresh Peugeot Speedfight 2?
Kenno
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014/2015

Post by Kenno »

Well, that girlfriend won't see me on it so it is an option! Didn't realise they kept on making them! Could never understand why they were making 100cc scooters instead of 125s.
CelticCross
Year: 2011
Color: Gray

Post by CelticCross »

As a child, I wanted a motorcycle. But when I saw, and had an opportunity to ride, my college roommate's 60's era Allstate, I got hooked on scooters. Many years later, I finally purchased my first scooter - a Honda Met. In the last dozen years, I've had the pleasure of owning a number of scooters to meet real and perceived needs (Kymco People 150, Piaggio MP3, 2 different Vespas, and a Burgman 400). I've promised my wife that the Forza will be my last scooter.
Leafeh
Year: 2015 PCX125
Color: Black

Post by Leafeh »

About a month now.
Only started getting interested in bikes for about 2 years or so.
My first bike was a Honda Varadero 125, but the size and sheer weight of it scared the shit out of me.. being a relatively small guy. [18 y/o and about 5'9, 140lbs]

Also found myself taking a while to get used to the gears too.. I'm my worst critic in that sense, so I kinda gave up.. but I WILL be back to try again later in life.. there's plenty of time! :')

So I sold the Vara [For the same price I got it for.. RESULT!] and put down a deposit on a PCX. The rest is history! :P Loving it so far.
Might go for my A2 Licence when I'm legally allowed to do so [19 in August.] - but for the time being I'm sticking with the PCX!
Walrus
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Walrus »

I really love hearing these stories both young and old about how everyone got started with out two wheel passion! Reading and writing and reliving these accounts help rekindle and fuel our fire to ride. With me moving to a different ride keeps it interesting for me. I've tried out or just ridden a bunch of different bikes this year. What fun!
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Post by Branyers14 »

I've always loved the smaller bikes. My first ride was a Honda C70 back in 1995. Held onto it for 18 years. Then I built a high performance CT70 from the ground up. Then an NSR50R, very fun little 6 speed. Followed by the PCX150, and now a Forza. The Forza is the largest bike I have ever owned. For fuel economy reasons, I do not see myself ever buying anything bigger.
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: red

Post by TonyM »

In May 1962, I went to the local Honda dealer to buy a step through Honda 50. But when I got there I saw the Sport 50 which looked like a small motorcycle and had a shift lever and clutch lever like a motorcycle. So that's what I bought.

After many, many motorcycles, in 2005, I made the switch to scooters. My first scooter was a Silverwing. At times I'm tempted to buy a motorcycle but the seats are too high these days. Obviously, I'm still sticking to scooters - I bought a brand new Forza a little over a week ago.
US Army vet
Previous rides: many motorcycles; 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Kymco S250; and 2008 Burg 400