Squeaky rear brake - anything I can do?!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Kenno
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014/2015
Color: White

Squeaky rear brake - anything I can do?!

Post by Kenno »

Hi all,

My rear brake now squeaks when being applied. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Coming up to my 2500 service soon so I suppose I can ask the garage (when I find one) to have a look if needs be.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Squeaky rear brake - anything I can do?!

Post by fish »

You can try scrubbing the disc with a course green kitchen scrubby....but often the issue is the pads micro-vibrating in the caliper. A teflon shim, or the like, is inserted between guilty parts to stop auto brakes from squealing.
G'luck
Fish
Kenno
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kenno »

Thanks Fish. Is there a disc for the rear? I thought it was some kind of drum thing?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Kenno wrote:Thanks Fish. Is there a disc for the rear? I thought it was some kind of drum thing?
Sorry, you're correct of course. PCX has a drum brake back there. (I forgot how basic that little scooter is)......in which case there's nothing you can do from the outside to cure squeaking inside the brake......unless they are glazed from too light of use. Might try applying them at speed for short periods to scrub the friction surfaces?
Fishe
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The PCX has a drum rear brake.
To get rid of the squeak, remove the back wheel, carefully clean the brake dust out of the drum, chamfer the leading edges of the brake shoes with a file, take the shoes off and apply a thin smear of copper grease to the shoe pivot and actuator faces then reassemble.
If the shoes are badly glazed, once you've got them off, very carefully using a sanding block and some fine wet and dry, take the glazing off using even strokes along the length of the shoe.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Kenno
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kenno »

Aha, thanks both. I might give that a go when I have some free time - or I might just be lazy and decide that the squeak's not so bad after all!