first accident on two wheels !!

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

first accident on two wheels !!

Post by dergav »

got knocked off the Forza today. Guy in car pulled out from a T Junction onto the right of way road I was on..Bike fairings mashed on LH side..left side of handle bar bent in..foot lever for centre stand bent in so cannot operate the centre stand..thats the bad news...managed to drive it home 20 miles however...
Good news is that i got off lightly...few leg scrapes and a sprained wrist...the bike was knocked away from under me and I slid across the road after it....with my protective gear on..
Other good news is that two cops were behind me in a van and they saw it all...so my two witnesses are two cops!...how lucky is that?......The guy in the car started to claim my LH indicator was on being the reason he pulled out...The main cop told him straight that under the UK Highway code it mattered not if the indicator was on ( but it wasnt) as he was in the wrong pulling onto a road and hitting me. How the driver thought I was going to negotiate a rather tight LH corner at 35 MPH is beyond me...However the cop looked at the Forza and commented that he could sort of understand the car driver as the orange indicator lights are on all the time ( and flash off rather than on)...In retrospect that seems a questionable design from Honda...
I now expect the Forza to be off the road for a while waiting repair...spare parts etc..so my planned trip to Ireland later this month looks doubtful...although Bennets Insurance when I called them to report it seemed to indicated there would be a replacement bike?
We will see....Bike being damaged is not important ...bike bits are repairable... All that matters is that no-one was injured ...apart from my dignity!
I suppose it had to happen sometime...but will make me more nervous in future about cars sitting at junctions waiting to pull out.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Re: first accident on two wheels !!

Post by Alibally »

Glad your ok.
I agree with them about the orange lights on all the time. It could cause problems right enough. I think Gn2 has disabled his by insulating the terminals for the bulbs.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

Glad you are ok. So the other guy is saying he saw you and still hit you? They will say anything. o_O
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Glad you're OK.
Pretty much everything on two wheels here in the States has a pair of amber lights up front.
I like that extra lighting....making us more visible.
I always cover the brakes and do a slight roll off of the throttle until I'm clear of sitting side street cars. Always.
Fish
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

Good on you for wearing your protective gear! Happy you are ok. :D
It is strange to me the amber indicators being on and flashing off and on for a turn signal. In Canada it is the opposite, indicators are off and only illuminate and flash when in use. No matter to the dolt who hit you, he is clearly in the wrong. Hope you get your bike fixed soon so you can still do your trip or perhaps a loaner bike.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Alibally wrote:I think Gn2 has disabled his by insulating the terminals for the bulbs.
Indeed he has and for exactly the reason of them causing confusion in other road users.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

All cars have amber corner markers in the front. Lame excuse.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

sendler2112 wrote:All cars have amber corner markers in the front. Lame excuse.
Not in the UK or Europe. Newer vehicles now have daytime running lights but they are white light. The orange ones are turn signals only.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Our PCXs do not have orange side markers, and the turn signals only come on when we turn them on. It might be a good idea to have the amber side lights, but many bikes don't have them. I see a lot of bikes around my area that not only don't have side lights, they have very small tail lights, which also means very small brakelights. Add that to the dark clothes many wear and you have an accident waiting to happen.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Can't say I've noticed permanantly lit indicators on bikes (in the UK) but I guess I soon will now it's come up. Seems odd to have something that can cause confusion and potential accidents, as I would expect a turn indicator to light up when turning, no other time.