Riding a pair of Honda CTXs

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Riding a pair of Honda CTXs

Post by Steph »

Got 2,000 miles on my new bike. Made a video of one of our rides that I would like to share. Hope all is well with everyone. Been away riding haven't had a chance to see whats been happening here lately.

Happy trails!

https://youtu.be/9mx5Z8D0Hyc
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Re: Riding a pair of Honda CTXs

Post by tbln930 »

Nice video. You have some traffic there.

I just crossed 2850 miles on the Strom in 10 weeks put about 100 miles on the PCX and maybe 50 on the Forza in the same time frame. I basically ride every nice day I can and go fishing at lunch time on the Strom. The PCX will go camping again next week and still gets a workout but the Forza is mainly a backup for the Strom when I am adding stuff or when i had a flat.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thanks Steph, I enjoyed watching "your customizing touches." :) Lots of bikes where you live! Nice.
Hey! I noticed your hubby is a quiet kinda guy :) Pass on a Hi to him.
Are you both taking More of a liking to one or the other (pcx vs ctx)? Just curious now that you've put on some miles. I sat on the CTX along time at the dealer before deciding on my second PCX. Really nice bike that CTX is 8) How about the chain maintenance? Is it a bother? How often does it need it?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Do the CTX's have the oring chains like the V-Stroms?

It is so nice with the wax/Teflon lubes and the latest infinite oring chains. I probably spend about 30 minutes a month on chain maintenance and the chain is perfectly clean and brand new looking. No more grease. They all get about 30k miles on these new chains. The technology has sure changed and the PIA is gone.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

SECoda/tbln930
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Me and the boys took a vote on your video editing, cam equipment, bass guitar, gun, motorbikes, butt... all excellent.
And Chief says he wants a kiss.
Attachments
game.jpg
game.jpg (20.69 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Our scooters sure took a back seat to our bikes. John gets out on the scoot to go shopping once and a while. I have not. The CTX do have the O ring chain and we use the chain wax stuff. I use it after wet weather and about every 500 miles. Still have yet to to the complete cleaning of the chain yet. SECoda, have you done the cleaning yet? And when did you do it?
Thinking about taking the scoots on a vacation up north. have to measure to see if they will fit in a Ford a Transit Connect.
Thanks for viewing the video we are really enjoying our bikes. Homie, thanks for the vote and Whitenoise, will tell John you said hi.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

There was a study done where they compared the longevity between inifinite oring chains using grease, wax/teflon, and nothing (never lubed or cleaned) that were run on pavement. They was virtually no difference in the longevity of these newer chains and sprockets (the lube on the oring chains is for sprocket wear since the grease is sealed in the links to combat chain wear). They did measure and find that the wax/teflon lube reduces friction more than the grease or doing nothing so the bicycle racers all switched to it as well. Interestingly, they found out that over-tightening the chain is the biggest detriment to reduced longevity. The V-Stroms should get up to 30k miles on them. If you ride in dirt and/or sand a lot then that is a different story.

I clean the chain once a month by spraying it with WD40 or DuPont chain cleaner, letting it soak a few minutes and then wiping it clean (the chain always looks like its brand new) with a rag. I spray on DuPont Chainsaver from Walmart ($6 large can) every other tank of gas which is about 500 miles. The chain gathers very little grim since it is always dry. I really avoid rain or water but if it gets wet I will clean and re-lube it right after that which I have done once.

I use the center stand and slowly spin the rear tire to do everything it only takes a few minutes. I do let the wax dry for 30 minutes before riding it and normally put it on a warm chain after a ride. THe have Chainsaver in small cans and I have one on board in the tool tube for long trips.

SECoda/tbln930
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I should add that at near 3000 miles the chain has not required an adjustment yet which are simple to do and that many are going 5000-8000 miles before the first adjustment. They key then is to not over tighten it (they suggest not going to the minimum play spec on the adjustment now but adjusting it to the middle of the range). After the first adjustment they say it is a very long time before a second adjustment is needed.

SECoda/tbln930