RDQ: when selling a scooter

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

navigate40
Year: 2014 Forza 300
Color: Red

RDQ: when selling a scooter

Post by navigate40 »

Hi Everyone

I am new to riding, bought a Honda Forza 300 and am thinking about moving up to another bike, at some point. Perhaps soon.

When selling your bike, do you let people ride it??

I would think not.

I have had a couple boats and learned that there are SO many "tire kickers" out there. I have had people go as far as signing a contract (no money) and ask for a test ride. We go out for a nice ride and they are done.

With a bike, even if the person has a motorcycle license and SAYS they are experienced, what would happen if that person dropped it and scratched it up. What then? Ask them to pay, they will simply walk away. [bike is showroom new condition]

What do you do? How do you handle it?

Thanks

John
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: RDQ: when selling a scooter

Post by Jge64 »

I think it all depends on your situation and how you size up the buyer. Everything I sell is put back to OEM and is pristine, and I price it to move,I don't care about a few dollars, I want it gone. So no, I usually don't allow a ride. Never been a prob. That being said, every situation is different.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi John, I have sold several bikes through Craigslist and forums. Two of them were test ridden "After" they handed me "full Cash in hand." I told them they could have their money back IF the bike came back unscathed. Both sold.
I sold two other bikes sight unseen (just alot of photos were shared) to folks outside my state. Never had a problem. Keep things honest. Be pleasant. Help as much as you can to have the transaction run smoothly.

Another thing...Trust your gut feelings. If someone/something feels wrong from the giddy-up, then it probably IS wrong. Back away. Wait it out. Next buyer will come along soon.

Spiff Shine that scoot! First impressions count. Like curb appeal to a house....same idea.
Good Luck! Keep us updated ;)

Wait a minute!!! :geek: Can ya let us know which bike you're looking to get next?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When i purchased my Burgman 400 from off of craigslist, I called the guy and asked if I could see it and listen to it. I never requested a test ride. He was open to that and opened up to me about why is wasn't cleaned up once I got there. He knew that the battery was dead, and they were starting it once a week since they had discovered it in their barn, just to make sure it ran. It had 2 miles on the odometer so I was suspicious. But he let me check it from top to bottom without hesitation. I looked over places that could have been in an accident and they still had the manufacturer seal on the bolts. He was honest and open about everything, though he did request cash. Everything worked out and they even hauled it to my dealer so that it could be 'refreshed'...oil change, gas drained, etc...It had sat for 6 years in the barn so it needed a full checkup.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by tbln930 »

Short of a friend i know real well I never let potential buyers test ride them like a dealer with commercial insurance might. I let them listen to it and I ride it in front of them. I have sold five bikes like that. I would also check if your insurance even covers such as thing.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
navigate40

Post by navigate40 »

Hi Everyone

Really great replies, I appreciate all the help, honestly. I will be taking all this advice.

I bought the bike nearly new, 222 miles. Showroom condition and only about 3.5 months ago. I am new to riding and passed the motorcycle safety course with no problem, in JAN. But, I wanted to make sure I could do this, enjoy it and that it would be a new hobby for me, so started out with the scoot. I needed a test platform to start off with....something not too expensive to make sure I could ride, and would enjoy it.

I am in my late 50's, never rode a motorcycle before and just over two years ago, suffered a stroke. I was unable to walk, talk, eat or drink for several days, while in the hospital (another long, dark story). I was taken off my boat (living aboard and cruising) by FDFL and never saw her again.

It was weeks before the room stopped spinning and I learned to eat solid food again. It took 4 months of rehab, a lot of hard work and...I have to add, some suffering (such as water boarding myself every time I tried to drink for days, at first)...before I could finally be able to regain all functions. But, the aftereffects of the stroke hit my balance center significantly. [believe me when I say to you, do everything you can to avoid this fate].

Anyway...fast forward to now...I have been very lucky to work hard and get better over all this time. A year and a half ago, I probably could not have driven more than an hour in the car before getting tired, could not climb a ladder without getting dizzy. However, I continued to improve and so in JAN, decided to test myself and take the MSC. I found that my balance was fine and I could work the bike just fine, no trouble shifting, turning, no dumping it. Loved it. I needed a hobby to get me out of my house and doing something outside. Cycling was always a big avocation of mine, but too hot here in So. FL. And I am a bit older now...so....I thought of riding. Turned out to be a great idea. And ...great therapy, as it turns out.

Sorry to make this so long. At any rate, I wanted to start out with a platform I was not intimidated by, and I always liked scoots. Rode them often, when I was in Europe (which I was regularly when I was active duty and naval reserve). Did not want to start off trying to deal with shifting on these roads, while learning to ride more, and wanted a ride that was powerful enough to take me anywhere. The Forza has been ideal.

In fact, it is all I really need. I love this machine. But...it was always going to be a test platform, and a step on my way to a bigger bike, because I need to continue to challenge myself and grow, for my health and well being. So...I have kept it pristine, in showroom condition, because I knew I would sell it.

My progress has surprised me, quite frankly. I thought I would keep this bike to the winter. But...amazing, riding has worked more muscles than I thought it would and is actually making me stronger and healthier. My strength, stamina and endurance have gone up. And so, I want to move up a bit. The Honda CTX700N DCT is calling me.

The Forza was enough of a challenge, at first, and then later, gave me the confidence I needed to get out on the big roads, do highway speeds and feel good and confident about it. This has been a fantastic bike. It gets respected by a lot of folks, riding on big bikes, around here. And it has been completely trouble free, easy to change the oil and keep clean. I did a lot of research before getting this particular bike.

Sorry this was so long. But, that is the story.

Appreciate all the advice. Wish the US was more of a scooter place than it is. Europe is just ideal. But, the CTX700 will help me grow and improve, as well.

Thanks to all

John
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Great story Navigate. Always good to hear of someone who overcomes challenges and turns them into opportunities.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I don't see that a CTX will make any difference in your personal circumstances.
It may even make you ride less.
Its certainly a whole lot less practical than a Forza.
Make sure you get a good test ride on one before commiting to a purchase.
You might not like the unpleasant vibration that godawful 700 engine makes.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I applaud your determination. I have had 6 back surgeries from an accident while in the military, plus I have leukemia. My wife told me that she didn't want me riding motorcycles any more because of these limitations. My compromise was to buy a Suzuki Burgman 400, which I kept for a few years before trading down to the PCX 150 because we ride intown so much.

While I was shopping for the Burgman 400 I had the opportunity to try the big brother of the 400....the Burgman 650. It is a road machine, a cruiser. If I wanted a scooter to cruise the country, that would be the one. Before you jump on a motorcycle, try one. There are a lot of them in south Florida, including some that have been turned into trikes. I know that you want to challenge yourself, but you should also want to relax and enjoy yourself.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

navigate40

Post by navigate40 »

Hi Everyone

Thank you for all the kind replies, I greatly appreciate it. It has been a long road and I have been very lucky. Hard work paid off. Part of the move is to continue to challenge myself and part of it is bucket list. I am not worried about surpassing my limitations and having to come running back. But, I hope to be able to continue to do more.

Each day, you try to turn adversity into advantage.

Farang - it was the Thai group that convinced me that the Forza was a great machine. Glad I went with it. And looks like a great group of folks. Wish I could be there again....loved Thailand, when I was there, many years ago. ขอบคุณ

Mel - best of luck to you. The Burgman 400 was another choice, but it was more money. I did look at the 650, and at the time, felt it was too heavy a machine for me. It is heavier than the CTX700, and seems wider to sit on.

Before getting the Forza, I tried a lot of bikes and a lot of scoots. Could only take a couple test rides, but ....being a geek, made up a large spreadsheet of specs, read every review, many magazines until I narrowed down the selection based on the physical features I though fit me best, and then the attributes. Most do this, I am sure. So...on the way to the Forza, I passed through a lot of bikes.

The CTX700 fits me well, I can get it in DCT. It is the right size, weight and power band to step up to. It will be nimble enough for local runs, while giving me the longer distance capability I want. It is about 500 lbs, as compared with the Forza, which is 422. So, a nice increment that I am confident that I can handle.

I am lucky to be semi-retired and I work online. So, I have a great deal of flexibility with my time. Riding can be a planned, or spontaneous event. There is everything around here from small, local roads, to two lane, 55 mph state roads and the interstate highway. My favorite rides are down the barrier island road with ocean views. I can ride anytime of day, and mostly go when there is little traffic.

We go from here.

Thank you

John
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I forgot that they offer a DCT version of the 700. It is a nice bike. I saw a picture of it all dressed up and it looked good. I think you would enjoy it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150