Using premium fuel

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Using premium fuel

Post by Mel46 »

I believe the reason given for using ethanol in our gasoline is to help our nation be less dependent on foreign oil. That is also why there is so much "fracking" happening in our country, which is now causing earthquakes in those areas. We are moving away from total dependence on OPEC in the short term, but we would be much better off if we put more effort and money into alternate fuels.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

I believe ethanol has been added to gasoline for 3 reasons: Reduce our dependency on foreign oil; helps farmers (raises price of corn); as an "oxygenate" (something to do with reduced exhaust emissions). Probably up to 10% ethanol is okay for current cars/bikes if they are designed for it, but it can cause problems with old rubber components and under some conditions it can separate from the gas. At one time, maybe still, there was some concern how close the 10% limit was controled. Now there are blended pumps where you can select the percent of ethanol you pump...wonder how accurate that is?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am going to try to remember to take a picture of a sign I saw on one of the pumps we filled up at once. It said that the pump had AT LEAST 10% ethanol mix.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers