New scooter!!!!!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

mimilamop
Year: 2015
Color: red

New scooter!!!!!

Post by mimilamop »

:o Hi
Was reading this at work earlier, thought I would register now I'm home, as you all seem so much fun!!
48 year old mum of four, old enough to know better, but found myself ordering a new red PCX at Tippets Honda on Saturday. Picking him up on Saturday morning and I cannot wait. Very pleased with the deal I got, Box helmet, top box, and money off the ever so over indulgent and not at all necessary steel foot plates, and interest free!! Was going to buy from Honda Chiswick but they are only offering interest added deals, so very pleased and dancing around the kitchen with excitement already!!!?
Used to ride a Tomas moped (but I was only 16 and daft) and then rode a Suzuki A100 for a couple of years..... That was back in the stone age.
So now we have to do CBT... knew I'd be the oldest person there, but the instructor was fab and I enjoyed whizzing about.
My heart was set on a Marauder, but read lots of reviews saying it can be quite sluggish, and was scared of cleaning and fighting rust off of all that chrome!
Looked at Lexmoto and Sinnis, but when I read the reviews of the PCX I knew I had found the answer!!
Have had a Bullpoint anchor fitted to the front of the house, and have bought a Kryptonite disc brake lock and two seriously heavy lock and chains from PJB Security. Will chain it to the wall, put lock on brake, steering lock on and other chain on the front wheel. Then will cover, parked in my front garden right next to the front door. Our dog sleeps at the front of the house, in the kitchen. She's little but very loud!!!
Anyone know how long I have to run in the engine? I heard 300 miles is that right?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: New scooter!!!!!

Post by you you »

Excellent, hope you enjoy it.

When I were 'kid you could by a Tomas from the catalogue...
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Took it easy on mine for about 150miles, then just rode normally obviously not wide open all the time, and being careful to not maintain the same rpm for prolonged periods. I did the first service at 600 miles. Really just rode it since then 1,200miles now and not missed a beat. Only had her since mid April :D
aka DrewJW
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DrewJW wrote:Took it easy on mine for about 150miles, then just rode normally obviously not wide open all the time, and being careful to not maintain the same rpm for prolonged periods. I did the first service at 600 miles. Really just rode it since then 1,200miles now and not missed a beat. Only had her since mid April :D

Same, just took it easy for the first tankful and then rode as normal.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Congratulations! You will be very happy with your new baby.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

mimilamop wrote::o Hi
Was reading this at work earlier, thought I would register now I'm home, as you all seem so much fun!!
48 year old mum of four, old enough to know better, but found myself ordering a new red PCX at Tippets Honda on Saturday. Picking him up on Saturday morning and I cannot wait. Very pleased with the deal I got, Box helmet, top box, and money off the ever so over indulgent and not at all necessary steel foot plates, and interest free!! Was going to buy from Honda Chiswick but they are only offering interest added deals, so very pleased and dancing around the kitchen with excitement already!!!?
Used to ride a Tomas moped (but I was only 16 and daft) and then rode a Suzuki A100 for a couple of years..... That was back in the stone age.
So now we have to do CBT... knew I'd be the oldest person there, but the instructor was fab and I enjoyed whizzing about.
My heart was set on a Marauder, but read lots of reviews saying it can be quite sluggish, and was scared of cleaning and fighting rust off of all that chrome!
Looked at Lexmoto and Sinnis, but when I read the reviews of the PCX I knew I had found the answer!!
Have had a Bullpoint anchor fitted to the front of the house, and have bought a Kryptonite disc brake lock and two seriously heavy lock and chains from PJB Security. Will chain it to the wall, put lock on brake, steering lock on and other chain on the front wheel. Then will cover, parked in my front garden right next to the front door. Our dog sleeps at the front of the house, in the kitchen. She's little but very loud!!!
Anyone know how long I have to run in the engine? I heard 300 miles is that right?
Welcome!
Your owner's manual will give you some info about running in your new scooter.
They designed and built it - good folks to listen to.
Fish
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)
Color: White

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

Congratulations! :)

And welcome to the forum. :)

Safe riding.
YorksForzaRider
Color: White

Post by YorksForzaRider »

Congrats, and welcome

In the manual they say to run in the engine for 1st 300 miles.

' no full throttle starts, no harsh braking, and ride conservatively'

Ok, leaning to the right then. :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The one thing I would mention is that you won't see true top speed from it until you are close to 2000 miles, since everything has to seat. After your 600 mile service (make sure you get he valves adjusted during that service), you can probably ride without worry about break in. Just know that the pcx has closer service intervals than most other bikes, which could be very expensive unless you learn to do the service yourself. Changing the oil is a 10 minute job. As far as valve adjustments after the 600 mile service, those will be up to you...meaning most of us do not adjust the valves much after the initial 600 miles.
I hope you have many years of fun on your new pcx. My wife and I are really enjoying ours. There are a lot of back roads to be riden, and a lot of adventures to be had. The PCX is a great little bike for those adventures.....and for commuting to work or the store. We have gone grocery shopping with ours because of the amount of underseat storage plus a tailbox.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

By the way, make sure you add something to remind you that you have the disc brake lock attached. There have been others on this forum who did not have a flag for it and destroyed the brake disc.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
mimilamop
Color: red

Post by mimilamop »

Thank you for all your lovely replies! Just be sensible for a few weeks then, then let the fun commence!