Break in and increasing fuel economy

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Break in and increasing fuel economy

Post by ScooterMan »

My 2015 got a best tank of 107mpg (showed 125 mpg on the guage (reads UK miles). Lots of drafting on the freeway and driving like a granny. =)

But yeah, right now, the guage is reading 84mpg...more like 70-71mpg actual. But I've just been driving it like I stole it.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
scootsie

Post by scootsie »

My 2013 PCX 150 just keeps getting better and better fuel mileage. I now have 14,000 miles on it and I am averaging 110 mpg. But the things that have helped is a windshield and full synthetic oil. My last tank got 115 mpg.
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by DeaninMilwaukee »

I'm up to 1400 miles now, mostly doing the same commute every day and I usually see the last bar start blinking around 112 miles or so, then putting in about 1.35 gallons and getting 85 to 87 mpg.

I am now suspicious that the original consistent 75 mpg was the result of winter blend gas, not lack of break in miles.
RichyP
Regular User
Regular User
Color: White

Post by RichyP »

With my previous Scoots on an analogue reading, i knew how long i could go before having to fill up (NOT that I would ever run my bike with not enough fuel mind)

I get upto about 40-45 miles before I lose any bars on the digital fuel dash at all,then it decreases down to about 2/3 around 70-80 then it just disappears.

I have only left it once when the last fuel bar is flashing before filling up and I am averaging about 115-120 per tank.

So heres the question, how many miles is left when the last bar starts flashing?
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

"So heres the question, how many miles is left when the last bar starts flashing?"

Don't know about a number, but to me it means "enough to get to the nearest gas station." I don't push my luck.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic

Post by yak »

For a 2013, the last bar means you have .4 gallon remaining. Apx 40 miles to go. When the bar begins to flash, you have 20-30 miles remaining. I drove mine to empty one time and don't plan on doing that again. I found out that the size of the gas tank is exactly what it says in the owners manual.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I've found the mpg meter on my 2015 125 PCX to be very accurate. It's not too good at first, but from full tank near brim to single bar/flashing it's within a few mpg of the real figure - every time (litres in/trip miles).
RichyP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RichyP »

yak wrote:For a 2013, the last bar means you have .4 gallon remaining. Apx 40 miles to go. When the bar begins to flash, you have 20-30 miles remaining. I drove mine to empty one time and don't plan on doing that again. I found out that the size of the gas tank is exactly what it says in the owners manual.
thanks Yak,

as I said before, i have no intention of riding it till its empty, but when I go on ad adventure ride out just picking directions at random, then notice the bar flashing, its good to know i have that range to get a petrol station :)
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User

Post by DeaninMilwaukee »

On my 2013, when the last bar starts blinking I need to put in about 1.35 gallons to top it up, so there is still 1/4 gallon left, enough for a safe 20 miles on my pcx.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

When I arrived home my trip was 230 miles and I still have two solid bars - more than enough left for tomorrows 19 mile commute (there and back). I tend to fill quite near the brim.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Went a few miles and down to single solid bar so maybe 30+ miles left in the tank (done 234 trip!), filled up, mpg gauge showed 145mpg, actual was better - fuelly > Congratulations, this tank is your best so far at 147.1 UK MPG! My little PCX is an excellent efficient commuter, now if only I could get rid of the rattles/vibrations from front and rear it would be a dream to ride.
Some months back the oil was below the tip so I topped up with old 5w30 car oil - now bought some Castrol Power 1 4T racing 10w30 fully synth (apparently it's red in colour) so will treat the scoot to some new oil soon.
Johnvaux
Year: 2015
Color: silver 150

Post by Johnvaux »

iceman wrote:Castrol Power 1 4T racing 10w30 fully synth (apparently it's red in colour) so will treat the scoot to some new oil soon.
It is indeed, like cherryade :lol:
( I use it the CBR, glad to hear the same goes in the PCX )
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Johnvaux wrote:
iceman wrote:Castrol Power 1 4T racing 10w30 fully synth (apparently it's red in colour) so will treat the scoot to some new oil soon.
It is indeed, like cherryade :lol: ( I use it the CBR, glad to hear the same goes in the PCX )
Oil for PCX must be one of the most discussed subjects here (across many threads) :) I was going with Silkolene or Motol, but the castrol 1 race 4t is one of the best and most easily available (£40 4L's from Halfords, £31 delivered from Amazon, or if you can find the 'race' version in store it's £5/L on offer at asda) (don't need the top-end race version for the little ol PCX, but it is full synth whereas the non race is semi-synth) and gets both Honda and Suzuki approval. I was also going for the w40 but decided for our temp range it's best to go with the slightly less thick w30. First time ever I've got oil that's not the normal colour (not that it matters).