UK insurance -

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

shivayash

UK insurance -

Post by shivayash »

Hello chaps,

I am a 34 year old married man living in my own home in zone 2 London. My scooter is garaged at night, I have a full motorcycle licence + car licence since 1998. I have 4 years no claims bonus yet am shocked this year I am being quoted over £150 for third party, fire and theft insurance!

This was underwritten by Zenith, brokered by Devitts.

I've tried confused.com and a few other direct insurance websites but no joy.
Any recommendations for a cheaper deal? Or should I just bite the bullet and go for it.
Insurance is due to expire next week so I have time.

With best,
SY
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: UK insurance -

Post by iceman »

Hi. I have 20+ yr's no claims car bonus and my first time on 2 wheels on the road was just over a year ago (only CBT not full). TPFT at that point was £358 with £200 excess. This year TPFT cheapest prices were from £180 to well over £300 with excess. I went for TP only for £117 no excess figuring the money saved would go towards any mishaps - no excess, no 50-50 fault rubbish, no extra in subsequent years, and hoping for the best. My PCX is declared on the drive, north london, nothing but datatag labels and no other security (even though I use thick chains and locks which I always use and it's covered up). 4000miles/yr commuting.
Try moneysaving expert and MSN, etc. MCE quote the cheapest but their excess can be over £1100!
Someone at work has now passed their full test but it did not make that much difference in price.
shivayash

Post by shivayash »

iceman wrote:Hi. I have 20+ yr's no claims car bonus and my first time on 2 wheels on the road was just over a year ago (only CBT not full). TPFT at that point was £358 with £200 excess. This year TPFT cheapest prices were from £180 to well over £300 with excess. I went for TP only for £117 no excess figuring the money saved would go towards any mishaps - no excess, no 50-50 fault rubbish, no extra in subsequent years, and hoping for the best. Mine is declared on the drive, north london, nothing but datatag labels and no other security (even though I had thick chains, locks which I use). 4000miles/yr commuting.
Try moneysaving expert and MSN, etc. MCE quote the cheapest but their excess can be over £1100!
Someone at work has no passed their full test but it did not make that much difference in price.
WOW! I too am in North London and have been told its cheaper to park on the road than in a garage... WTF?

I have an Abus City Chain 1010 which is on their list and it makes no difference.

I was with MCE for 15 months, they were doing a free 3-month deal but the crazy high excess was a burden, and their customer service was fairly poor, but I did most things online, so had minimal contact, dread to think what would have been the case had I needed to make a claim.

Many thanks,
shivayash

Post by shivayash »

Interesting question... Devitts ask the following question, under the rubric of 'riding history':

"Have you or any additional riders been involved in any accidents, claims or losses (including fire, theft or vandalism), irrespective of blame and whether a claim was made or not, or had any motoring convictions, including fixed penalty offences, in the last five years?"

a) Does this refer to car driving history or riding history - they are, so far as I can see, two different matters.
b) The second half of the question seems to indicate the first half refers to ALL motoring matters.

I had my car broken into back in July 2013... this incident has NOTHING to do with my risk as a motorcyclist. I have held a clean licence since 1998 - no endorsements whatsoever.

What do others think? I am sure they will be able to 'find' this claim I made on my car's insurance policy via their centralised database.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

That's standard - you are expected to state any claim even if not your fault and for any reason. Insurance is mostly a scam as most insurances are licenced to the same insurer irrespective of broker - and they do not want to pay out against themselves!
As someone stated on this forum, GN2 I believe, not claiming any security on your bikes is often a good idea, even though you have lots of strong 'gold secure' protection. When I checked not adding any securtiy against a gold secure chain/lock, the cost saving was £4 ! Better to use it, not to state it, and not have them wriggle out of paying should someone break the locks.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

shivayash wrote:Hello chaps,

I am a 34 year old married man living in my own home in zone 2 London. My scooter is garaged at night, I have a full motorcycle licence + car licence since 1998. I have 4 years no claims bonus yet am shocked this year I am being quoted over £150 for third party, fire and theft insurance!

This was underwritten by Zenith, brokered by Devitts.

I've tried confused.com and a few other direct insurance websites but no joy.
Any recommendations for a cheaper deal? Or should I just bite the bullet and go for it.
Insurance is due to expire next week so I have time.

With best,
SY
Is this a renewal or new business?
Renewals are always more expensive, get on the comparisn websites.

Your history is all vehicles, even ones you drive for work not owned or insured by you.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Try Carole Nash
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Carole Nash are at the expensive end of the market these days.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

31 bike garaged, declared for 5,000miles a year, third party fire and theft £290 for me with Carol Nash, bare in mind my no claims is only 2years with no prior claims just been lazy getting my own vehicle really :)
aka DrewJW
RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RideLondon »

Car no-claims means nothing for bikes.

Me:
22 years old
CBT only
5000 miles/year
Zone 3 west london
Bike in garage overnight. D-lock with alarm and Datatag security
Been driving a car for 3 years with no accidents or claims of any kind.

Fully comp = £580.
shivayash

Post by shivayash »

Thanks for all the replies. I'm getting sensible quotes now from Devitts. £93 TPFT. I have four years no claims on the scoot. 2000 miles including commuting. No lock declared. Garage parked.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Carole Nash are at the expensive end of the market these days.

Not for me
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:Carole Nash are at the expensive end of the market these days.

Not for me
You aren't "the market" you are but one consumer.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

The insurers in the UK are nothing but scammers who make their money trusting people are to busy or to squeezed or to lazy to switch. I have never seen a place where the renewal was more expensive after another year of not claiming but the UK!

My insurance profile:

- nearly 10 years protected no claims discount (bike and car)
- IAM advanced motorist certificate (bikes)
- several additional advanced trainings
- garaged and two listed locking devices plus the HISS
- Living outside Reading

My fully comp. insurance is 130 Pounds with 200 Pounds excess now.

The previous insurers wanted 180 for a renewal, the ones before that were utterly out of their minds and tried to get nearly 300 Pounds from me. All of them gave me fairly reasonable conditions to join them.

I just don´t understand the insurers, they must really think we are all stupid. In times of online comparison tools how is anybody going to be ripped off if they can avoid it?

I never went (or had to go back) to an insurer (or broker) that tried that trick with me. In other words: They lost my business every time I switched and non of them were part of the same group as usually quotes from the same group are fairly similar.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

When I swapped the PCX for a Forza, my insurance premium dropped.
Currently its £85 fully comp with four years NCD.