A heated Debate with my Honda service centre..

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

danieljw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: RED

A heated Debate with my Honda service centre..

Post by danieljw »

I have just been speaking with my Honda Dealer's service centre, head mechanic and apparently i have been told... 'NEVER use fully synthetic in a honda PCX' apparently it need regular old dino oil.

Feel like banging my head against the wall... they make amazing bikes but some of their after service is stupid... my bike doesn't need good oil because its not a 180mph fireball (his exact words).

I probably would buy another honda again, from a different dealership.
Honda PCX125 - 1000miles

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: A heated Debate with my Honda service centre..

Post by gn2 »

So long as the oil is wet and slippery all will be well.
Does the manual recommend fully synthetic?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

danieljw wrote:I have just been speaking with my Honda Dealer's service centre, head mechanic and apparently i have been told... 'NEVER use fully synthetic in a honda PCX' apparently it need regular old dino oil.

Feel like banging my head against the wall... they make amazing bikes but some of their after service is stupid... my bike doesn't need good oil because its not a 180mph fireball (his exact words).

I probably would buy another honda again, from a different dealership.

Or buy a 180mph fireball. Or fireblade. That wouldnt really need synthetic either really pottering around town

if you want synthetic in your scooter why not put some in yourself.

you have to take the old stuff out first but its only one bolt and there are some how tos here
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

We've discussed this before.

HP4M is a semi synthetic blend oil with moly that's recommended for scooters with dry clutches. Moly is extremely slippery and reduces friction providing better fuel economy and also produces less heat. Honda also says it can be used for motorcycles with wet clutches for racing in short periods, as long as the oil is drained and non moly oil put in after racing. The moly additive is great for optimum fuel efficiency and performance but not good for wet clutches.

HP4S is their full synthetic oil that doesn't contain moly. You may get slightly worse fuel economy and you'll get more heat produced although full synthetic oil stands up very well against heat.

I'd stick with HP4M unless you're continuously subjecting your engine to high RPMs all the time, and even then I'd just call HP4S a consideration.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

Oops I have to add that synthetic oil has smaller molecules so it reduces friction that way.

So it's up to you. But to say synthetic can't be used is baloney (bologna?)
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dkazzed wrote:Oops I have to add that synthetic oil has smaller molecules so it reduces friction that way.

Can we settle on any oil can be used?
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

you you wrote:
dkazzed wrote:Oops I have to add that synthetic oil has smaller molecules so it reduces friction that way.

How's that extra virgin olive oil working for you?

I highly advise against coconut oil, you might have a hard time starting a cold engine.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dkazzed wrote:
you you wrote:

How's that extra virgin olive oil working for you?

I highly advise against coconut oil, you might have a hard time starting a cold engine.

Engine oil silly.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

:D I would avoid using fully synthetic for cooking fries, but they would slide down well.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Reduces friction on what? Does the oil get onto the clutch or something? I would think that's a very bad thing that could glaze your clutch bell.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:Reduces friction on what? Does the oil get onto the clutch or something? I would think that's a very bad thing that could glaze your clutch bell.

Sweet or savoury glaze?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Balsamic of course.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:Balsamic of course.

Not synthetic I hope
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

Moly will increase fuel econmy and reduce heat. Honda recommends using Moly ( HP4M) in the final drive as well , reduces heat , reduces friction from gears meshing . Call out to Cali. and talk to an engineer for the technical mumbo- jumbo , the number is in your owners manual. Ride well.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

You're dealer is an idiot. The manual specifically recommends synthetic blend or equivalent, even during break-in. Full synthetic is ALWAYS better than dino oil, which is not an opinion, but a fact.

Your scooter will run on either, but will be happier over 10s of thousands of miles on synthetic. If you plan on keeping it for years and years, it's worth the extra $4 a quart.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote: Full synthetic is ALWAYS better than dino oil, which is not an opinion, but a fact.
Only after conformation takes place.
Which in some cases requires non-synthetic to be used initially.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
maddiedog wrote: Full synthetic is ALWAYS better than dino oil, which is not an opinion, but a fact.
Only after conformation takes place.
Which in some cases requires non-synthetic to be used initially.

On my main bike BMW prohibit synthetic but I used it after 10,000 miles with no problems.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have run full synthetic in all of my vehicles for years now and they have given me many years of good service. My 2003 suv runs great. My Burgman 400 ran like new. Now my two pcx 150s just keep running without any problems. Yesterday we took them on the freeway and ran them wide open for 30 - 40 miles with no apparent ill effects. I change the oil on all of my vehicles at 3,000 mile intervals. If i have to stretch the oil a little bit later I doubt that there would be any problem with it because I use synthetic.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I have run full synthetic in all of my vehicles for years now and they have given me many years of good service. My 2003 suv runs great. My Burgman 400 ran like new. Now my two pcx 150s just keep running without any problems. Yesterday we took them on the freeway and ran them wide open for 30 - 40 miles with no apparent ill effects. I change the oil on all of my vehicles at 3,000 mile intervals. If i have to stretch the oil a little bit later I doubt that there would be any problem with it because I use synthetic.
But they may have ran exactly the same on good quality oil of any persuasion
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

I think the main advantage is still stretching the change interval by using synthetic. The written warranty can affect its use, however. Some vehicles now require it in for cars leaving little choice. Conventional oil is slowly being replaced at the retailers.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930