SONY Action Cams

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

SONY Action Cams

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hallelujah!! Spring Has Finally Arrived,
and I'm thinking about buying an Action Cam. My question to ya'll is... Which one?

Are the GoPro's that much better than the Sony's? I'm a NoPro at this, so will a Sony do?

This is the Sony I have my eye on at the moment....It's "On Sale" at Best Buy right now (I love me a good sale :D IF IT IS ONE!) No accessories included. Perhaps a better package deal is out there somewhere?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-as100- ... Id=4068006

Or....from your experience or just yer knowledge would you recommend this one? or another Sony model?

Again with today's "Menu" of Choice's....it makes picking just one more difficult (to me, anyways).
I Like this: "give me a burger medium with cheese....please with a side of fries."
SEE How Easy That Was ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Re: SONY Action Cams

Post by WhiteNoise »

P.S. I have No Plans, now or in the future of going underwater with this (unless the wee one drops it off a bridge). But! I won't be there (with it) either.
I Don't Do "Sea Hunt!" :D (late 50's early 60's kids)
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I bought one, but regrettably returned it as soon as I received it with uncertainty surrounding my wife's job. I didn't open to play around with it, but as soon as things look clear again I'll buy one again. From what I saw, it's a very nicely built unit. It can be mounted on the side of your helmet and is less conspicuous than a GoPro. Size wise, I can describe it as a finger length long by 2/3rds of a finger length tall by 1/3rd of a finger length wide.

The base model is packed with features: 1080p60 recording with an EXMOR 1/2.3" CMOS sensor, Steadyshot image stabilization, Wifi, NFC. It sells for $170 Canadian, or $250 gets you a package with a wireless external display you can mount on your handlebar.

That model you posted WhiteNoise is a very good deal though.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Atis
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Atis »

I have the earlier version of this unit and I see they've added a screw mount to the base which was my biggest gripe with mine, that it had to be in the waterproof case to use a tripod or screw mount. I honestly have not used it much but have been pleased with it so far. I have installed the Ipod app that allows you to access many functions remotely and found it very helpful in composing shots or placement on mounts. I don't care much for the mounted profile in that it must be mounted "tall" to be vertical ie in top of your helmet. Since the unit is relatively flat it would be nice to mount it flat to the side of the bike or helmet. Maybe this doesn't matter?
Honda 2014 Forza 300 (ABS)
Honda 1995 Elite 80 (Sold)
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

Did you watch this?

GoPro Hero4 Black vs Sony HDR-AS100 HD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNKKJEu-jTQ
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

I would give the Sony the edge with SteadyShot alone. The GoPro is nice with 4K but you pay for it. Colour, Sony usually had nicer colours, but the GoPro had better colours in some of the scenes.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Seriously try the toshiba. Works perfectly and you can chuck it in with the kids in the pool. And non of this Gropro machismo
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Got the Go Pro Hero 3+ Silver, does the job fine, and is nice having the massive accessories support.
aka DrewJW
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

I had the GoPro Silver but decided the Sony was the duck's guts, so gave the GoPro to my son. The Sony is smaller and mounts easily on my helmet and looks less dorkish than a GoPro sticking up like a periscope.

My son is into camping and bush bashing in his Land Cruiser and thinks the GoPro is great. Horses for courses :D :D

The actual pictures taken with either unit are excellent almost identical.

We're both happy with our cameras.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I have the go pro 3+ silver. works good for me.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

What Toshiba model is that, 2yous? I know you mentioned it on the forum b4, but I did not log it. I want to check it out. Please tell

SECoda, thanks for that video! I just watched it. I admit I was lost at times :oops: with all the very "fast spoken" Tech Talk. I'm not an electronic geek (anymore), I just want a User friendly point and shoot that's steady with great clarity and equal to that,...sound. I think I will be buying the Sony AS100.

Did I read that the GoPro accessories/mounts, etc. fit on the Sony as well?

Thanks All! I will be back later. We'll chat more, I'll learn more :D
23 skidoo (look that one up :P ).....I'm off to the Nursing Home.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

The GPS feature on that AS100 seems awesome. For the price, you absolutely can't go wrong.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

What is the difference between the as100 and the as30 ? Is the as30 an hd camera? I am asking because some of us do not use our cameras enough to warrant the high cost.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:What Toshiba model is that, 2yous? I know you mentioned it on the forum b4, but I did not log it. I want to check it out. Please tell

SECoda, thanks for that video! I just watched it. I admit I was lost at times :oops: with all the very "fast spoken" Tech Talk. I'm not an electronic geek (anymore), I just want a User friendly point and shoot that's steady with great clarity and equal to that,...sound. I think I will be buying the Sony AS100.

Did I read that the GoPro accessories/mounts, etc. fit on the Sony as well?

Thanks All! I will be back later. We'll chat more, I'll learn more :D
23 skidoo (look that one up :P ).....I'm off to the Nursing Home.

It's a Toshiba Camileo X-Sports Full HD Action Camcorder

To give it its full name. Can't really fault it
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

Mel46 wrote:What is the difference between the as100 and the as30 ? Is the as30 an hd camera? I am asking because some of us do not use our cameras enough to warrant the high cost.
The AS30 is on clearance for $111 at Best Buy, AS100 $149.

The AS100 has a splashproof body so it can be naked out in the rain, vs. the AS30 which has to be in the waterproof case. Both have to be in the case for going underwater.

The AS100 has superior optical image stabilization vs. digital image stabilization in the AS30.

Both have GPS, Wifi, NFC. Up to you, but I think the two features I mentioned above are well worth the extra $38.

Here's a comparison video you can watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVCh5d6USz0
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dkazzed wrote:
Mel46 wrote:What is the difference between the as100 and the as30 ? Is the as30 an hd camera? I am asking because some of us do not use our cameras enough to warrant the high cost.
The AS30 is on clearance for $111 at Best Buy, AS100 $149.

The AS100 has a splashproof body so it can be naked out in the rain, vs. the AS30 which has to be in the waterproof case. Both have to be in the case for going underwater.

The AS100 has superior optical image stabilization vs. digital image stabilization in the AS30.

Both have GPS, Wifi, NFC. Up to you, but I think the two features I mentioned above are well worth the extra $38.

Here's a comparison video you can watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVCh5d6USz0
Is it just my eyesight but do the as30v pictures look clearer.

Or more awesome if that's easier
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

We absolutely do not ride on rain. I have had my Kodak point and shoot camera attached when i had theBurgman. Unfortunately, with the pcx the image stabilization didn't work very well. I have to wonder if any camera will be able to handle being shot while attached to the bike. I am thinking about attaching it to my helmet. Do you attach it on the side or on the very top? I do notice that my head sticks above the tall windscreen, which means it gets hit by wind a lot. Hopefully there won't be too much vibration this way.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

As far as mounts go I got a GoPro mount adapter for my Mobius camera and use all GoPro mounts off of EBay on the cheap. :D I do like the stabilization on the Sony that is not on the GoPro's although real jerky bike motions may not be completely mitigated. I have an older Sony AC but it is larger than my Mobius which is very tiny and a big advantage IMO. I am thinking of buying another Mobius pointing backwards all of the time to catch the nuts behind me. At about $80 it does 1080p 30 fps and works pretty darn well.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

SECoda/tbln930
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I forgot about the Mobius. That is a good camera too. I think it is cheaper than the Sony one too. Hmmm, I will look into it. I think there was a write up on one of the threads on this forum about it too.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/

The same type plane I learned to fly in. He botched the touchdown a bit (supposed to touch on mains first) o_O
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=26&v=9wqn8ns9ftQ

SECoda/tbln930