Motor Oil Question

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Re: Motor Oil Question

Post by SECoda »

Bangkok has one of the highest average temperatures year-round in the world I read somewhere. 10W-40 is a no-brainer.
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

Thank you Original rocket , point noted.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

SECoda wrote:Bangkok has one of the highest average temperatures year-round in the world I read somewhere. 10W-40 is a no-brainer.
I have been living in Bangkok for the past three years. Last January (2014) the overnight low dipped to 63F - 17C, which apparently was the coolest it had been in BKK for 30 years. I have also heard what you said, that BKK has the highest annual average temperature. Other places get much hotter, but they also get a lot colder.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I like this oil/temp chart better.

VISCOSITY: Viscosity grade of engine oil should be based on average atmospheric temperature in your riding area. The diagram provides a guide to the selection of the proper grade or viscosity of oil to be used at various atmospheric temperatures. An API quality oil having a viscosity of 10W-40 can be used for all temperatures.

jkautz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Metallic Black

Post by jkautz »

Well now I'm thinking of switching to 10w40 year round lol

2015 PCX150 Metallic Black
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Anybody tried cod liver oil? The benefits are very well known. I'd post a link if I could be arsed.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Well to throw a wrench in the gears there might be a few negatives to more viscous oil like a very slight change in mileage or top speed but it is slight. When you throw the anti-friction additives in the mix It becomes less clear of the difference but I am sure someone has measured it somewhere. In a car they used to say something like a 3% increase in fuel economy to go back to a 30 from a 40. Maybe that is why my top speed with the NCY stuff is a few mph slower than others - that and an older belt. :P I would rather have the comfort of better lubrication when things get hot. (it may not make a hill of beans difference to 90% of the riders or bikes the way they ride). :roll:
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Metallic Black

Post by jkautz »

I'd say that 10w40 would be beneficial over 10w30 just because I ride on the hwy about 80% of my commute.

2015 PCX150 Metallic Black
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

SECoda wrote:Well to throw a wrench in the gears there might be a few negatives to more viscous oil like a very slight change in mileage or top speed but it is slight. When you throw the anti-friction additives in the mix It becomes less clear of the difference but I am sure someone has measured it somewhere. In a car they used to say something like a 3% increase in fuel economy to go back to a 30 from a 40. Maybe that is why my top speed with the NCY stuff is a few mph slower than others - that and an older belt. :P I would rather have the comfort of better lubrication when things get hot. (it may not make a hill of beans difference to 90% of the riders or bikes the way they ride). :roll:

That must be the least scientific, or objective, post ever.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Always get the slippery stuff, sticky stuff is no good.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
bountybuddy
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Motor Oil Question 0w30 better than 5w30?

Post by bountybuddy »

Please tell me is 0w30 is better than 5w30. I've read that it is but really I have no idea. Thanks for your help my friends.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

bountybuddy wrote:Please tell me is 0w30 is better than 5w30. I've read that it is but really I have no idea. Thanks for your help my friends.

Are they slippery?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

bountybuddy wrote:Please tell me is 0w30 is better than 5w30.
They're both slippery so they're both better.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
bountybuddy wrote:Please tell me is 0w30 is better than 5w30.
They're both slippery so they're both better.

Or worse.

Couldnt the idiots that make the oil clearly point out on the packaging that the oil is slippery so that this sort of confusion doesn't arise?
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

What a thread . Boing.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Protection
http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

Bob the oil guy actually tests oils, and he says Penns oil Ultra synthetic 5 w 30 is the best there is (or maybe was..the article has been there a while) has the best wear protection by far. See the article and chsrt. Honda says 10w30 mb rated oil. I suspect just about any oil not designed for air cooled wet clutch motorcycle would work for the pcc. Bob says the 5w30 is better than thicker oils. My next oil change will be Penns oil Ultra 10w30. Bob didn't test the 10w30, but I am hoping it is as good as the 5w30 was.
The Honda-Yamaha dealer that did my 600 mile valve check and oil change put in Yamalube 10w40. My scooter had 1700 miles on it, this afternoon when I returned from my mostly highway 55-60mph 3 plus hour cruse today. The speedometer stated mpg while crushing at 60 mph (almost max speed on my stock 2015 pcx) was in 5he high 70s . Got as low as 77 for some of the time. There was sometimes a head wind. I am thinking, and hoping that gas milage will get better after switching to the afore mentioned oil.
IMO
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... er=3124298

I think this is shorter and right to his list of best wear protection oils. I hope. Sorry I thought the link in prior post was the table. Also, note the ad for Pennsoil Synthetic and the "no other oil offers better protection" refers to note 3. At the bottom of the ad page, note 3 states it was 5w30 that enabled this claim.
fast1075
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by fast1075 »

Owner's manual says 10w-30.

Specifications say: JASO MB (which interestingly, no oil sold at my Honda dealer has the MB rating).

OR: API (for us Norte Americanos) service SJ (which interestingly enough is an OLDER rating).

I use Shell Rotella T5 in 10w-30, which is rated as API SM, which exceeds requirements. As a bonus, I buy mine by the gallon for less than $20.00.
The Fasterizer
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The biggest problem i have is the part that says "Resource Conserving" . I have heard that we aren't suppose to use those. That limits the selection. So what can we use if we can't use any that have the word "Resource...." within the circle?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers