Anyone have any experience with this GPS tracker?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Lancer525
Year: 2015
Color: White

Anyone have any experience with this GPS tracker?

Post by Lancer525 »

It's one of those Chinese GPS tracker systems. GPS TK-103.

I've seen them on Amazon, Ebay, and Alibaba, and a few other places, going in the $30-$100 range, depending on which accessories you get. There's a version with a kill-switch relay, a version with a key-fob activation, and there's a "surveillance microphone" (although I don't know how good that would be) and a webpage you can log into and get a location either by GPS or by GSM-Cellular. It has two different antennas to connect, a GPS antenna and a GSM-Cellular antenna. Hard wired into the electrical system of the motorcycle, and it also has an internal battery that's supposed to be good for three to five days. I'm wanting to take all this with a grain of salt, unless I can actually find someone who's got one, and had decent results with it. ;) I keep remembering that old saying that if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

I've been thinking about getting something like this, since a guy at the local community college had two motorcycles stolen from in front of one of the classroom buildings in a two-week span. He had some kind of GPS tracker in the second one, which led local LEOs to the location of the bike, where they found something like 14 other motorcycles in a storage shed. I contacted the newspaper that reported it, and they wouldn't give me the contact info for the guy that had the bikes stolen, and couldn't tell me anything about what kind of GPS tracker system it was.

So, I thought I'd ask around here and see if anyone had any experience with this system, or any others like it, that might make a recommendation about what to get.
Insert interesting signature here.
magic_mike

Re: Anyone have any experience with this GPS tracker?

Post by magic_mike »

ive installed a much smaller unit
maybe like 3 inches wide by 4 inches tall
looked to have similar features

one thing it had the backup battery too, but it comes switched off
had to take the case apart and find the micro switch to turn it on
barely found that mentioned in the instructions guess that makes sense but would of been nice to have a tiny press in button on the outside

couple problems with the sim card which you may or may not have
looked to have 2 card holders inside, and came with a adapter for a card that seemed to slip into both slots but didnt seem to lock in
not sure if both were for the cell part
or if one was a memory card for storage instructions said nothing
no matter which slot tried, or adapter could not figure out which slot to use

second problem was whatever website you had to log into it would not activate the gps, maybe because we didnt have the sim card in the correct slot or because it was loose as it was one of those micro cards and we ended up just trying it with no adapter as from whatever info in the instructions looked like that

be careful thats not made for some china brand sim card size you cant get where you live
thats what im thinking maybe it needs a much older size card to fit

had a couple lights on it, under a smoked lens
no light had a marking to what it meant so that doesnt help much either

also it drained the scooter battery after 1 day of sitting so I guess they couldnt start it and steal it with a a dead battery :lol:

if your really concerned, just get full coverage insurance for theft and make sure the payout will replace the cost of it

because even if you could track it, its not like the cops can just break down the door where ever it is im sure they need more proof then a gps signal

now maybe you could have lojack installed since that is something cops have in their vehicle to access the location
but I still would be concerned about it draining the battery

I bought whats called a tile or tile app?
its a small square thing you can put on key rings, purse whatever
and its trackable using some low power blue tooth
just came out last year, but I think the only way it works is if someone near it happens to have the app working
and you send out the signal its lost, their app will then see it was missing and put it on a map

so it may be one of those things it could take a long time to find until millions of people use them since its a low power signal someone has to be near it to see it I guess

I thought years ago when I preordered it used wifi to send out a signal, not low power blue tooth

I really want to take mine and hide it out in public somewhere and set it as lost
then see how long it takes me to see it on the map