Servicing 2014 PCX - Dealer or Do It Myself?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Servicing 2014 PCX - Dealer or Do It Myself?

Post by TheMaverick »

My new PCX is coming up on 600 Miles / 1000 Km - so due for it's first service.

My dealer so far has been "OK" but seems to be leaning a little too far towards sales and/or suggestions that I feel benefit them far more than they benefit me - so shall we just say "I'm keeping a weary eye on anything concerning $$$ with them".

So - with that frame of reference - I'd be appreciative of opinions on whether folks think I'm better off getting them to do the first and subsequent service - or doing it myself? I've had a read through the book and it all looks pretty straight-forward - and I'm reasonably mechanically minded.

Any strong opinions either way? I'm just fearing a bill for several hundred dollars for what amounts to a glorified oil change.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Servicing 2014 PCX - Dealer or Do It Myself?

Post by Valiant »

Get a quote from them, and ask them about what happens if the actual charge goes over the price you were quoted.

I can't say I'm qualified to check valve clearances, so someone would have to do it for me. Doesn't have to be your dealer though(unless you're worried about warranty).

The concern is well warranted. I asked my dealer to change out the variator and belt, install a new exhaust, and do an oil change. The bill was just short of $600, and they took two days to do what should have been a 2-hour job.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

The 1st service would be, and has been, the one I got the dealer to do. Simple oil change and not much else, but just in case there were problems in the early days and hoping the would be honest if they spotted any issues, I had them do it. I've now done near 4000 miles and no other service - the 2500 was clean the breather and have a look at some things - the breather looked fine to me. I will do the 5000 oil change and clean a few things - I believe the spark plug is supposed to be changed then too, but not sure I'll change it if it looks fine - just keep a spare in case.

I doubt the valves get checked at any service by most dealers - not until 16000 miles or such and even then . . . .

In the UK the total cost for services over the 2yr's comes in about £900+ with some extra for VAT - not worth it unless you want to keep warranty in case of a major break-down. Even then, may be better to get a small garage to do a repair. Actually, UK law is on your side if you keep receipts and do a good job yourself.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Valiant wrote:Get a quote from them, and ask them about what happens if the actual charge goes over the price you were quoted.

I can't say I'm qualified to check valve clearances, so someone would have to do it for me. Doesn't have to be your dealer though(unless you're worried about warranty).

The concern is well warranted. I asked my dealer to change out the variator and belt, install a new exhaust, and do an oil change. The bill was just short of $600, and they took two days to do what should have been a 2-hour job.
Thanks for that - I've taken your good advice and am now waiting to hear back from them.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

iceman wrote:The 1st service would be, and has been, the one I got the dealer to do. Simple oil change and not much else, but just in case there were problems in the early days and hoping the would be honest if they spotted any issues, I had them do it. I've now done near 4000 miles and no other service - the 2500 was clean the breather and have a look at some things - the breather looked fine to me. I will do the 5000 oil change and clean a few things - I believe the spark plug is supposed to be changed then too, but not sure I'll change it if it looks fine - just keep a spare in case.

I doubt the valves get checked at any service by most dealers - not until 16000 miles or such and even then . . . .

In the UK the total cost for services over the 2yr's comes in about £900+ with some extra for VAT - not worth it unless you want to keep warranty in case of a major break-down. Even then, may be better to get a small garage to do a repair. Actually, UK law is on your side if you keep receipts and do a good job yourself.
Thanks for that. Yes - interesting point regarding warranty; definitely something to think about. Problem I have with servicing like this (with respect to my car anyway) is that it all adds up to a LOT of money after a few years. I haven't crunched the numbers but gut feel is that the dealers (and insurers) are doing "very nicely" out of me.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

TheMaverick wrote:My new PCX is coming up on 600 Miles / 1000 Km - so due for it's first service.

My dealer so far has been "OK" but seems to be leaning a little too far towards sales and/or suggestions that I feel benefit them far more than they benefit me - so shall we just say "I'm keeping a weary eye on anything concerning $$$ with them".

So - with that frame of reference - I'd be appreciative of opinions on whether folks think I'm better off getting them to do the first and subsequent service - or doing it myself? I've had a read through the book and it all looks pretty straight-forward - and I'm reasonably mechanically minded.

Any strong opinions either way? I'm just fearing a bill for several hundred dollars for what amounts to a glorified oil change.

First question.

Can you do it yourself?
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

you you wrote: First question.

Can you do it yourself?
I've had another read through the manual and - basically - it's just an oil change and "check a few things" (which won't be a problem). Won't be able to do valve clearances though, but I suspect that even dealers probably don't take that too seriously if it's basically running OK.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

There's a how to guide to valve check and dismantling the panels on this forum and a complete set of video's by Homie on YouTube for the new 2015 model - take your time taking panels off, and it's not that tricky to do it (in theory).
mtheall
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by mtheall »

What is homie's youtube channel? I would like to see these videos.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

TheMaverick wrote:
you you wrote: First question.

Can you do it yourself?
I've had another read through the manual and - basically - it's just an oil change and "check a few things" (which won't be a problem). Won't be able to do valve clearances though, but I suspect that even dealers probably don't take that too seriously if it's basically running OK.

So change the oil then.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

iceman wrote:There's a how to guide to valve check and dismantling the panels on this forum and a complete set of video's by Homie on YouTube for the new 2015 model - take your time taking panels off, and it's not that tricky to do it (in theory).
Thanks for that. I had a look at a few of them - probably something I could do, but to be honest, I really don't have the inclination to go that far. If it gets that involved I'm probably better off letting a trained mechanic loose on it whilst I go back to work and earn the money to pay for it.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

you you wrote: So change the oil then.
Funnily enough my biggest challenge is proving to be finding a place that has the "darn" oil - I had no idea it would be this difficult -- seems all the regular places only have car oil - and those that have motorcycle products have their own brand that I can't verify the specification on. Not coming up with anything on our national auction site either.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

TheMaverick wrote:
you you wrote: So change the oil then.
Funnily enough my biggest challenge is proving to be finding a place that has the "darn" oil - I had no idea it would be this difficult -- seems all the regular places only have car oil - and those that have motorcycle products have their own brand that I can't verify the specification on. Not coming up with anything on our national auction site either.

It doesn't need "special" oil. Oil will do.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

mtheall wrote:What is homie's youtube channel? I would like to see these videos.
Here's one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ierh8gBeuLg
Others have posted many such guides over the years. When and if I do such things, I doubt I will ever use the services manuals (two parts in the UK) at all. These tutorials by helpful people on this forum are essential how-to's and much appreciated.