Cbr 250 vs BBK Pcx

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Cbr 250 vs BBK Pcx

Post by Pcxdemon »

http://youtu.be/-eJUZzGS_hg 9sec 0-100 (60mph)
http://youtu.be/rSfdcT3SdjI 9sec 0-100 (60mph)
There are other vids on that Pcx channel you can watch more..
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Cbr 250 vs BBK Pcx

Post by Valiant »

Wouldn't it be a more accurate comparison if we knew that the body weight of both riders were the same?

Might be important.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Lol, sure! I'm 180lbs and around 5"11 (185cm?)on a 164cc scooter against 250cc geard 12000rpm motorcycle!
I doubt few extra pounds would make a considerable diff, maybe a second at most..
Fact is a 150lbs rider and shorter height on pcx would be even faster ,possibly a second less to a 60mph...
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I'd take the CBR250 over a small scooter every time....but probably neither one should be cruising in traffic at 60.
I'm a consevative, older, rider who thinks larger speeds are only appropriate on larger bikes.
My Scion will probably do a ton.....doesn't mean it's wise to cruise there.
Fish
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Say what now? Isn't 250cc plenty to cruise at 60? Unlike the PCX, you should have plenty of reserve left too.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

This was all about for people saying what's the point modding pcx, it'll never be as fast as the say cbr 250..clearly it can be as quick as cbr with only medium mods, now imagine going the 196cc option!
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Again, isn't that subjective?

My BBK mod isn't "complete" yet(still missing throttle body and manifold), but improvements thus far seem minimal at best. I also weigh 200 lbs at 5'4", not including the gear and the 25 lbs of chains I usually lug around to lock up my PCX. And if the CBR 250 is falling behind, isn't that because the CBR itself isn't tuned performance wise?

Not trying to knock on mods, but it would seem true that, dollar for dollar, a larger bike is more cost-efficient. More so if you don't possess the technical skills and tools to install these mods yourself.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Valiant wrote:Again, isn't that subjective?

My BBK mod isn't "complete" yet(still missing throttle body and manifold), but improvements thus far seem minimal at best. I also weigh 200 lbs at 5'4", not including the gear and the 25 lbs of chains I usually lug around to lock up my PCX. And if the CBR 250 is falling behind, isn't that because the CBR itself isn't tuned performance wise?

Not trying to knock on mods, but it would seem true that, dollar for dollar, a larger bike is more cost-efficient. More so if you don't possess the technical skills and tools to install these mods yourself.
Cbr is stock but cbr is 250cc 5sp 12000rpm motorcycle. Surely that's fair comparison say to my mere 164cc auto scoot? Say, town riding, underseat storage,scooter lightness and mobility , auto twist throttle and same performance up to and more than enough than 60mph is bloody fantastic! Surely you can admit that!?
Cbr will always be better but then again it's a different purpose bike..
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Fair? Yeah, I guess that's fair. I'm thinking the results would be different if the transmission on the CBR was tuned for better 0-60 speeds. As you said, it's a 12000 rpm bike(bigger displacement too), so it's doubtful it would lose if it were tuned better.

I just don't want people to think their little scooter can be modded to have better performance(in what is the question) than a considerably larger displacement sport bike. Different purpose of course, and scooters are just designed for city traffic without having to deal with shifting constantly.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

This is also an interesting table:
http://www.zeroto60times.com/body-style/motorcycle/

It lists the CBR250R time as 8.5 seconds. Rider skill also plays into that as far as the timing of the upshift and how fast you can do it.

I would agree however that a modded PCX might be more desirable given that the times aren't that far off, and the simplicity of "twist and go" riding. Power-wise I suspect that any sport bike I've ever passed on the freeway very likely wasn't trying to go any faster. The cruisers might be a different story though ;) .
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

fish wrote:I'd take the CBR250 over a small scooter every time....but probably neither one should be cruising in traffic at 60.
I'm a consevative, older, rider who thinks larger speeds are only appropriate on larger bikes.
My Scion will probably do a ton.....doesn't mean it's wise to cruise there.
Fish
Guy with a CBR 125R who spends half his riding time on the freeway chiming in here.

The 250R will cruise 65-70 all day easy. My 125R prefers to cruise at 55-60 but it'll do 65-70, even 75 in good conditions. I may have to tuck or gear down with a hill or headwind, but that's the fun of it.

I am riding a CBR 250R for my road test and I took it out yesterday during the practice road ride with my motorcycle school. The extra power is very nice, but I love my 125R.
Pcxdemon wrote: Cbr is stock but cbr is 250cc 5sp 12000rpm motorcycle. Surely that's fair comparison say to my mere 164cc auto scoot?
Correction, 6 speed, both in the CBR 250R and 125R. :) Also, not everyone is ambitious enough to install a BBK. Plus to tune a 164cc scooter to out accelerate a 250R is surely not easy for the transmission which was only built to handle 15 HP.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

dkazzed wrote: Correction, 6 speed, both in the CBR 250R and 125R. :) Also, not everyone is ambitious enough to install a BBK. Plus to tune a 164cc scooter to out accelerate a 250R is surely not easy for the transmission which was only built to handle 15 HP.
True, but even a 175cc kit should have less than 15 HP(just under IIRC). Plus, I can see where CVT might have an edge with regards to acceleration. With manual you'd have to upshift either by ear or eyeing your tachometer. With a CVT, you can tune the transmission to constantly be at a certain rpm range(say, peak power of 8500) all the way from 0-60. Much more user friendly, and your full attention is on the road.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Before i purchased my pcx, i had a Burgman 400 scooter. It was fast and could cruise on the freeway quite comfortably. However, when it came to in town riding and narrow spaces, it was like riding a Harley, which i have also owned. I traded down to the pcx because it was a fun bike that got around town like it belonged there. My wife also has a pcx, which makes riding intown fun. When we get out of town and on freeways they don't do anywhere near a well as the bigger bikes, but they aren't meant to. Increasing performance just a little makes it much more useful out on the road, and still great in town, but it will never beat the bigger bikes. Before buying a scooter you have to determine what you want it to mainly be used for. My wife and i would both love something bigger, like the Rebel, but we would still use them less than the pcx because of what our main intentions were for the scooters in the first place.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Valiant wrote: True, but even a 175cc kit should have less than 15 HP(just under IIRC). Plus, I can see where CVT might have an edge with regards to acceleration. With manual you'd have to upshift either by ear or eyeing your tachometer. With a CVT, you can tune the transmission to constantly be at a certain rpm range(say, peak power of 8500) all the way from 0-60. Much more user friendly, and your full attention is on the road.
I thought the 150 produced 15HP (at the crank). My 125 produces 13.

I don't think riding a motorcycle puts less attention on the road than a scooter, but maybe because I've been driving stick shift for most of my driving years that operating a motorcycle became second nature once I adjusted to differences. When I drive, I'm a much better driver with a manual transmission than an automatic transmission, because a manual transmission forces me to focus on driving while an automatic gets boring and allows my mind to wander. When I'm out on two wheels, there is absolutely no opportunity for my mind to wander, scooter or motorcycle.

Scooters are more pleasant to ride in the city though, and they're better for when I get gout. I had a gout attack a couple of weeks ago and being stuck in heavy traffic on my motorcycle was just awful.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
fast1075
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by fast1075 »

When I was 15, I got a Honda 90. Not a Super 90 overhead cam engine, but a 1965 C200 pushrod engine 90. Made 4.9 HP, which was just under the 5.0 HP limit a 15 year old could ride.

The speed limit back then was 70-75 MPH. I didn't get run over riding it. I got passed a lot because it wouldn't go over 50 unless it was falling off a cliff. With a passenger, it was even slower.

Anyways, back to the 250 thing. In a lot of places, a 250 IS a BIG BIKE. Among my collection, I have a 2006 EX250 (Ninja). The powertrain is completely stock. It has no trouble cruising at 80 MPH. Cruising. I rode it to Daytona for the 200 last month. 80-85 on the interstate. Actual speed from my GPS. It has a lot of stuff done to it, but nothing that adds speed over stock. At cruise, it is turning about 9600 and singing a happy tune from it's mighty 25 HP engine.

A CBR 250 is only a tiny bit slower. They will cruise just fine at 70+ and be happy doing it. My PCX seems to cruise along at 60 MPH, though I usually keep it a little slower. Thing is, when I ride the PCX, then get on the 250, the 250 feels heavy and vague at least until I get some heat in the tires.

Motorcycles are like golf clubs. You can play a round with just one, but there will be times when it is hard. The best remedy is to have a whole bag full, one for every occasion. I ride the PCX a lot more than the Ninja. I just love the convenience. On Sunday mornings, when the twisties call. It's Ninja and knee puck time. Every other time it's PCX time.
The Fasterizer