Tips on riding on the highway

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

dog64bull
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Tips on riding on the highway

Post by dog64bull »

I plan on taking my pcx on a little ride to asheboro where my gf lives at. Its like 50 miles away on regular two lane and highway roads. Any of you have any helpful tips on riding on the highway?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Re: Tips on riding on the highway

Post by Mel46 »

It should be an easy enough ride. We take ours on all of the secondary roads in Georgia with speed limits up to 55 mph and have no trouble at all. If you take it on the freeway, which we also do, just keep to the right and be aware of how light it is when big semi trucks overtake you. You will get some wind buffeting. Otherwise, just enjoy the ride. We bought a tall windscreen and a comfortable seat. These make a big difference in comfort, but otherwise it will do fine. You may not be ready for long rides on yours yet but keep in mind that there are a lot of others who have taken long trips on theirs and had no problems. I believe there are one or two on this forum who have taken theirs all the way across the United States, which shows that they are very dependable. We have taken ours on 4 and 5 state rides in a single day. Just relax, know the limits of your gas tank, and stop to hydrate ever so often. The time will fly and you will be there before you know it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Mr Elbows
Color: Red

Post by Mr Elbows »

You make it sound effortless, Mel46. You sure these things aren't a nuisance on freeways with speed limits up to 65? And we all know cars never follow that speed limit. They go at least 80+ on the freeway.

Have you noticed cars swerving around you because you were too slow?
Red 2013 Honda PCX 150 - very first scooter as of [2/12/15]
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Attachments
bubble boy.jpg
bubble boy.jpg (8.69 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

dog64bull wrote:I plan on taking my pcx on a little ride to asheboro where my gf lives at. Its like 50 miles away on regular two lane and highway roads. Any of you have any helpful tips on riding on the highway?
Is this a full stock PCX? If yes, be mindful when merging. The acceleration is much more pitiful than a car, so you might incur some honking when you merge. Stay on the right lane, gear up if possible, and watch your lane position as some people will make unsignaled lane changes.

50 miles isn't exactly short, so maybe plan for a small detour at a fast food restaurant to take a small pit stop if necessary. Smartphone GPS is handy for this, as I can pull off somewhere if I need to, find a place to eat, then hop back onto the highway.
Mr Elbows wrote:You make it sound effortless, Mel46. You sure these things aren't a nuisance on freeways with speed limits up to 65? And we all know cars never follow that speed limit. They go at least 80+ on the freeway.

Have you noticed cars swerving around you because you were too slow?
Yeah really:

About 44:40 I enter the "high speed" zone(60 mph speed limit). On a full stock PCX, everyone tears ass past me. With transmission mods, it's slightly better. With a bore kit I'd say it keeps up okay with the family minivan.

Still, depends on the highway. With a speed limit of 50, it does well enough that I can commute on the highway daily. Wouldn't want it to be anywhere fast with traffic going 80.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

homie wrote:.........................
That is too funny! :lol:
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Half to three quarters of the cars pass me on the freeway during non rush hour traffic. And honestly it doesn't bother me one bit.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS