New PCX 150, just put on Give Shield, need some help, 4/11

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

V65Mag
Year: 2013
Color: red

New PCX 150, just put on Give Shield, need some help, 4/11

Post by V65Mag »

To the group, I just put on the Givi Shield today. I am not sure if anyone else experienced this. I am 5 11, experienced with bikes, had a bunch, from high horsepower down to a CH 80. I took a ride after installing the Givi, and up to 45 mph, the shield did what it was supposed to do. Over 45 mph, the buffeting of my helmet was significant. I almost wish I would have tried another shield. I just picked up the scooter 1 month ago, for back roads and taking on vacation. I am not over 45 a lot, but when I am, the wind noise is to the point where I want to change shields, return this one, or put the stock shield back on.
Does anyone have experience with Puig or any of the other shields out there?

I had a Givi on my ST1100, and have a Givi Airstream 2 on my Silverwing, in both cases the shield worked great. This shield on the PCX is not what I expected.

Any suggestions? other shield models / manufacturers folks have tried?

Thanks T - 4/11/2015 - 6 pm
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Re: New PCX 150, just put on Give Shield, need some help, 4/

Post by tbln930 »

Which Givi did you put on it?
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
V65Mag

Post by V65Mag »

Thank you for the reply.

The model is Givi D322ST Windscreen Windshield .

When I got back from the ride, I held up the stock shield and even tried to figure if I could cut the stocker down and bolt through the D322ST and make a double shield like the air stream 2 on the Silverwing, the layer of air moving between the 2 pieces pushes air up over the head or at least higher up. (good in theory, but I would likely crack the shield)

This air hits at the bottom of the helmet and it's real noisy and turbulent. I'll take a chance on another shield of there's a reasonable chance of it working.
I really like this little scooter. I had in the past a CH 80, CH150 that ran real strong, their wheels were small. Had a Reflex and a Yamaha Majesty 400. When I sold my 2006 V Max, I picked up the silverwing, and it's here for good... I liked the SH150i, but they are expensive even used. So when I saw this PCX, guy bought it from a dealer going on of business, he kept it 2 weeks then sold it, I got it for a great price with 64 miles on it.

The fellow had the seat from Japan, it's better than stock, but I am wondering if there are other seat options. I put my aerostich seat pad on it, makes it a little better.
Overall, really dig the PCX, from having 10 V4s, bunch oc other bikes over the years... this little PCX is a good blend of light weight and functionality. The 150 cc motor holds hills here well..

I did a open throttle run with the Give today, and achieved 3-4 mph more than with the stock shield.. close to 65-66 mph, so the shield does cut a more efficient hole through the air...

Just have to find the right one.
Thank you for your help.
V65Mag

Post by V65Mag »

Thumbs up on the V Strom Adv. I had a 2011 V Strom, decked out, probably should have kept it.. but had a BMW R1100RT at the same time, and did not need 4 bikes..... down to the Silverwing and PCX now,
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by tbln930 »

Yes - that is the same WS as I have on my PCX. I hear a little more noise than on my Forza with a tall Givi but not really buffeting but I am sure our height is different. The advantage of the mid is the speed seems to be the best.

I was the first guy to get a seat from MP.Motor in Thailand here and they really offer any kind of PCX seat you want and will even customize them for and additional fee. Six months ago I only paid $100 shipped and it is an excellent seat. That hump was really bad for my 5' 11" height. You can definitely pay more for other seats from other vendors.

The windshield is an individual thing so it is a bit of trial and error. The Givi tall will work probably but you many lose a few mph and it will be pushed around a little more in the wind and gusts.

I test rode and looked at adventure bikes till I was blue in the face (maybe 8 of them plus a Honda NC700X which is really just a street bike that looks like one). I really like the V Strom and Suzuki is now #1 for reliability according to CR. We have so many gravel roads down in the Ozarks that the Forza was limiting me at times. (but I will still try to convince my wife to let me keep all three :lol: )
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
pcxowner
Year: MY2014
Color: black

Post by pcxowner »

[quote="V65Mag"] To the group, I just put on the Givi Shield today.......

what MY is your PCX ? 2012 or 2014 ? cause you write .. 'new PCX 150' !
GIVIpcx2014
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Indyglow »

Lots of people tried and hated the Givi 322 because of the buffeting. Are you in the US? I have a Puig I'm not using if you'd like to try it.
V65Mag

Post by V65Mag »

N Indiana, I was going to buy a Puig, looks like the angular approach may work. Have you tried it? and how tall are you? what shield are you using now.
Yeah the Givi is to me almost un-usable. I have an old flip up, that I have used for a long time, and they typically are the worst for wind noise, I modified it when in California riding highway 1 and in the Sierra Nevada mountains...
I am in the US, near Pittsburgh Pa. I am very seriously considering returning the Givi, although not sure if the outfit will take it back or not.
Going to try it today with another helmet I have and see what it's like. Thanks.
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Indyglow »

I started out with the Givi 322 but quickly decided it wouldn't work because of the buffeting. Next tried the Givi 323 (tall Givi) which was really nice and kept the PCX from being blown around in the wind, but I'm 5'3" so I couldn't see over the top which made riding in rain dicey. Next was the Puig, which was much better than the Givi 322, but eventually I just bought the regular Honda screen and that's what I'm staying with. You are probably tall enough that you could see over the top of the Givi 323, and in my opinion that is the best screen for the PCX, as long as you can see over it.
You need like 10 or 15 posts on this board before you can send personal messages, so once you get that many posts just send me a PM if you'd like to try my Puig.
V65Mag

Post by V65Mag »

4/12 - 645 pm,
Sure I would like to take you up on trying it. out of curiosity which Honda shield did you get? I am wondering if I should try cutting down the Givi? I want to see if the outfit will take it back first. I have never had great luck cutting down shields in the past. I did write to Givi, because of the number of reports of buffeting this is something Givi has had to have heard.

On another note, sold my 83 V65 Magna, Friday, hated to see it go, but did not ride it enough. And Russell Day Long is building a seat for my Silverwing. I have Givi top case, LED lights, a Givi Back rest, a Leo Vince exhaust, Givi Airstream shield... after the seat, will probably put front springs in the forks and call it a day. After a V Max, 5 V65 Magnas, an R1, 2 ST1100s, a VFR, and some others, the scooters offer a heck of a bang for the buck, a lot of utility. And they can sit for a while, just hop on, and ready to go. May look for a CBR1100xx if I can find a clean one some day here soon, will see.

Thank you and you bet I would like to try the Puig shield. Thanks V65
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Indyglow »

I have the optional Honda windscreen for the PCX, listed under "accessories" on the Honda website. I had a screen cut once for a different bike, but I took it to a glass shop and had them do it. I don't know if cutting that Givi screen would help or not.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I started out with the Givi 322 on my wife's pcx but she was nort happy with it, even though she is only 5 ft tall. At first i added an extra piece to the 322 to bring it up to the height she liked. It worked well but eventually we just decided on the tall one (the 323) and we have it on both of our pcx 150s now. I am 5 ft 11in. tall and it works well for me.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Wab
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Wab »

Hi I purchased the Piug +18 screen and I experienced the same issue you had with the wind buffeting my helmet. Used it for a week until I couldn't stand it. Sold it on and went back to stock. I am 5.9".
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

I have a tall Givi that was cut down by about and inch and 1/2 by the origininal owner of the W/S. I'm 5' 10" and it works perfectly for me. I look over the top of it and get no buffeting to the helmet at all. Great choice if you can find one and some to customize it for you.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
fun2scoot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by fun2scoot »

Reports are that NACA vents can solve the windshield buffeting problem by filling the pocket behind the shield and pushing the filled air up into the turbulence, smoothing the flow around the rider.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-s ... -givi.html
Post #5 has the link to Chris Longhurst instructions and a template.
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by DeaninMilwaukee »

I used this one: http://www.amazon.com/National-Cycle-Re ... ent+Screen on my 2013 pcx.

I am 5'9" and find it is remarkably quiet and smooth at hwy speeds. If I tuck down just a tiny bit my heads in a completely quiet zone. Excellent product.

Dean in Milwaukee