New security conscience PCX Owner

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mistermcg
Year: 2015
Color: white

New security conscience PCX Owner

Post by Mistermcg »

Hi All,

After much reading and research on the PCX and other scooters in its form factor I have just ordered my new white PCX. I went down to the dealership for a test drive and it was superb for a type of machine it is!

I have geared up on pretty much everything (Alarmed Disk Lock, Bike Cover, Data Tag, and now intend on buying a Almax III Chain for locking the bike up (which is on the street in one of the worst areas for bike theft according to stats, especially for vespas:p). I cannot decide if I should get a 2m or 2.5 meter chain as I have never had a bike in London before.
The weight of these things are considerable and my 2 questions are;

1) is 2m reasonable enough to get the back wheel around a typical parking sign, small tree etc next to the payment?
2) Is carrying the chain under the seat going to impact the ride quality - the weight of these chains is significant! as you can see in the table below. Looking at a good 11kgs of chain under the seat.

In theory I need to loose about 10kgs of weight anyway! so cannot really see this as being a problem. It was the sales guy at the Honda Dealership that suggested not carrying the chain around with you as it is bulky. Your thoughts would be appreciated!

My circumstances are; London commuter and this is my first bike, say 30miles a day at max, looking to take the chain into the city and make use of the ground anchors. I will be moving to a new place by the end of the year, somewhere I can install a ground anchor at home.
I have considered installing one or two in the street while no one is looking >.>

LENGTH WEIGHT
Metric Imperial Metric Imperial
0.7m 2'3" 3.04kgs 6.6lbs
1.5m 4'11" 6.51kgs 14.3lb
2.0m 6'6" 8.68kgs 19.0lbs
2.5m 8'2" 10.85kgs 23.8lbs
http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.asp?pg=30
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: New security conscience PCX Owner

Post by iceman »

11kgs is a lot of weight - must be most of the allowance for the under-seat area.
Safety Man
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Safety Man »

I carry around this under my seat: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SM ... UTF8&psc=1
I am 220lbs myself. No issues with ride quality. 60 inches (1.5 meters) of chain is more than enough for me; can comfortably tie the PCX to any post/bicycle parking spot. :D
Hold Da Kæft

Post by Hold Da Kæft »

This is exactly the same a qaundry I'm going thru

2mtrs does seem the best length for most situations and it should be fine for the underseat storage. Mind you id probably out a bit of carpet/lining down first
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

iceman wrote:11kgs is a lot of weight - must be most of the allowance for the under-seat area.
All of it actually.

The chain is a bit tricky. I personally use this thinner one because of the noose design which gives me more length to work with:
http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/CHPS1320N.html

You could no doubt do the same with the Almax chain if you cut the sleeve and use a second padlock. Short of that, you'd need to be right up to whatever you want to lock it to, and it can't be too thick either(I'm thinking a telephone pole wouldn't work).

Locking the chain only through the tire might not slow people down much, as it can still be unbolted. The swingarm would be best, but it could be an adventure to string that through next to the hot exhaust o_O . The problem with the PCX and chains is the lack of actual metal frame that you can string it through.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

[quote="Valiant"]I personally use this thinner one because of the noose design which gives me more length to work with:
http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/CHPS1320N.html/quote]That's a good solution - allowing full use of chain length. One of those in 16mm or such would be ideal as you would stop most of the cheaper bolt croppers scallywags may have to hand, and get away with a shorter length and probably the same weight as a longer thinner chain.
Mistermcg

Post by Mistermcg »

The noose design looks very logical, may be worth getting a second padlock for that.
If 11kgs is the total underseat storage allowance than that may not be much of a worry for me.
I plan on getting a 39L givi Topcase and some saddle bags if going off to the park for the day etc.

I think I would be happy using the underseat storage allowance for the greater peace of mind it would bring, knowing I will have a good deterant to potential theives.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Maybe. I do remember one potential question about whether or not anyone would look twice if a potential thief puts on a hi-vis orange bib, and works at the chain with an angle grinder and cutting disk. Passerby's would probably think it's a city official cutting off the locks to something that's been parked there for a few days straight.

Good insurance is a must. GPS device if you're paranoid.
Mistermcg

Post by Mistermcg »

Well, I eventually opted for the 2meter Almax series 3. The guy on the phone (the AL in Almax!) really loves a good chat!.
I am glad I went with 2m as the 1.5 would not have gone around anything like a lamp/sign post on the London Pavements.

I think the Noose idea may not work very well in reality given the size/length of each chain and the fact you are loosing a couple on either end.

The weight has not been a disturbance to me so far and the under seat storage seems to be coping well. I have had the idea of lining it with some felt or something similar to protect the plastic.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Mistermcg wrote: I think the Noose idea may not work very well in reality given the size/length of each chain and the fact you are loosing a couple on either end.
Not sure what that's supposed to mean. The downside of the noose is that the slack is adjustable, so someone could loosen it up enough to lay the chain on the ground and gain leverage on it. The standard chain could get around that by choosing which link in the chain you want to string the end through(only works with interlinking/long-link chains), but that could get to be a PITA with a sleeve on, as you'd have to pop a hole through the sleeve in order to put the link end through. You'd also need two padlocks for a standard chain if you choose to use it like that.

Bit of a tradeoff, but I think it's fair to say Hawaii is a bit nicer than the UK 8) .
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

You asked about the weight under the seat -- you won't even notice it.

The single BEST THING you can get is the cover. I'm glad you got one, but USE IT. Every time. No exceptions. It's the best deterrent by far.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
wei2go
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wei2go »

Valiant wrote:Maybe. I do remember one potential question about whether or not anyone would look twice if a potential thief puts on a hi-vis orange bib, and works at the chain with an angle grinder and cutting disk. Passerby's would probably think it's a city official cutting off the locks to something that's been parked there for a few days straight.

Good insurance is a must. GPS device if you're paranoid.

Currently own a red pcx150 and a red NC750x DCT
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Interesting video, but I think we can all agree that if I catch anyone messing with my PCX, which is under a locked cover, they're going to get a swift kick up their ass from my MX-boot covered feet, whether they're white, black, female, or some kid.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

The whte/black thing asside, I'm amazed how many assisted a theft after a 'pretty' girl says it's not her bike and she's stealing it!
wei2go
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wei2go »

Sorry valiant, but if I saw the hot blonde trying to steal your bike, I'd be right there helping her :p #sucker
Currently own a red pcx150 and a red NC750x DCT
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

That's fine, I have a straight shot overhanging my parking spot 8) .
Kenno
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014/2015

Post by Kenno »

I got a 2m Almax chain too but assumed it would be way too heavy to keep under the seat. Might give it a go now. I've just been using an alarmed disk lock when I'm out and about and was considering getting a smaller lock and chain to take with me, so hopefully I won't need one. I've also got 3 covers that turned out to be completely useless in the rain but might start taking them out with me as security too.