So, how'd that engine mod work out for you?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: So, how'd that engine mod work out for you?

Post by Valiant »

Tried running it on the stand again, and got 81 mph on the speedo.

Not too sure how to use this info, as I believe another member managed to get 89 mph on the stand with just an aftermarket vario and the KN Planning Torque Driver.

All-in-all, I don't think a top speed beyond 80 mph is useful to me, as it would be an automatic ticket if a cop catches me going that fast, plus I doubt the PCX is capable of producing enough power to go that fast without a larger bore kit on anything other than downhill.

Still, I'm wondering if I should try to lengthen the gearing further. IIRC, 76 mph was the top speed on a 2013 PCX with just the NCY trans mods under ideal conditions, and maybe 78 mph on the stand. Numbers wise, it doesn't seem like the gearing did much for me, though the fact that the PCX now has a lag where there wasn't one before is a sure sign that the gearing did lengthen enough to noticeably affect how quickly the clutch engages.

My basic idea was to take advantage of the nature of the CVT by making the gearing as long as possible. If pulling rpms drop below a certain range, the CVT would downshift to maintain power. The advantage would be that acceleration will be stretched out and the belt won't lock out until higher speeds. I guess downsides would be that you would wear a groove in the front pulley if you consistently drive at speeds under the belt lockout speed(say, under 60 mph). I suppose one other complication is if the gearing gets too long and even the lightest weights(8g) would put me well below the 8500 peak power rpms.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: So, how'd that engine mod work out for you?

Post by Valiant »

Did some tweaking(on the rev limiter) on my Bluetooth EFI, which the unit itself isn't very useful without an extensive knowledge of how to tweak the fuel mix, on top of not having access to a dyno session. Because of that, I would say the Dilts-Japan Enigma unit is inferior to the Kitaco i-Map and Takegawa FiCon2, which come with preset maps.

I did have a few interesting results, namely finding out that my scooter shop set the rev limiter ridiculously high(11500 rpms), and that they never really disabled the rev limiter anyway. Upon trying to run it on the stand with the rev limiter set to 10500 rpms, I got a stand speed of 90 mph on the speedo. Impressive, but I figure it's a moot point anyway outside of riding down a hill, because my PCX typically stops at 75 mph on the speedo on flat roads. If it doesn't have the power to actually push the rpms up past 9600, the rev limiter is more or less irrelevant unless I make the gearing shorter, and even then it might not gain a significant amount of torque to push against wind resistance. And judging from the injection settings, it seems they only made small adjustments to the idle and low end, so it should still be running extremely rich all throughout.