Security

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Hold Da Kæft

Security

Post by Hold Da Kæft »

Okay I don't have access to a garage and being able to park next to a lamppost every night is not guaranteed so I'm looking at security options.

My plan is to get an 1.5mtr almax chain and lock, I'll put this trough the rear wheel even if I don't have access to the lamppost. I'll also use an alarmed disc lock through the front. Lastly the scooter will be covered too.

I'll also Datatag it so again it hopefully puts the pros off from pitching it.

What I need to know is how heavy is the almax chain? Would carrying it in the underseat area be viable?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Security

Post by Valiant »

Hard to say on the weight. I have a 13mm Protector chain from Pragmasis that's about 1.8m long with a squire stronghold padlock for it, that's about 12.5 lbs. It'll depend on the thickness, but I'd guess yours would weigh about that much too. You should easily be able to fit the chain under the seat.

The pros would either cut the chain with a cutting disc on an angle grinder, or toss the whole thing into a van or truck. I wouldn't consider it secure unless it's locked to an unmovable object.

Sad to say, but your best security is going to be the insurance you have on it. That's not to say the other stuff is useless, but you need to ask yourself if you can deal with it if someone steals it. Location matters, and I suspect the PCX is a bigger target for theft in London than in Hawaii.

That having been said, I usually carry two Pragmasis chains in saddlebags(one to lock the front tire to the frame, one to lock the rear tire to the suspension, both would likely need to be cut off in order to be removed), I have a GPS/siren combo installed in the PCX, and a locking cover :D .
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Actually, some more information would help.

Do you live in an apartment complex? Do you own the property in any way?

I'm thinking that maybe you could drill into the concrete someplace and place an anchor into the ground, and run your chain around that. You could also fix motion-activated lights there if possible.
Hold Da Kæft

Post by Hold Da Kæft »

No private parking for motorbikes provided. I have to park outside the block of apartments in a bay on the public highway. No chance of fixing an anchor point :(
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Hold Da Kæft wrote:No private parking for motorbikes provided. I have to park outside the block of apartments in a bay on the public highway. No chance of fixing an anchor point :(

At least it's in public view.

Park next to a better bike I say.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

The series III Almax chains are the only ones nothing short of an industrial cutter can cut through, so expensive and heavy. 1.5mtr's is not that long. I have a 1.8mtr chain that I use to lock the bike to the car's toe-bar (rear facing house front on drive) and the 1.8 is just long enough.
On my journey to work I see quite a few bikes with chains through wheels and not chained to anything and they are still there, a year into riding. Pot luck if someone see's it and wants it though.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

iceman wrote:The series III Almax chains are the only ones nothing short of an industrial cutter can cut through, so expensive and heavy. 1.5mtr's is not that long. I have a 1.8mtr chain that I use to lock the bike to the car's toe-bar (rear facing house front on drive) and the 1.8 is just long enough.
On my journey to work I see quite a few bikes with chains through wheels and not chained to anything and they are still there, a year into riding. Pot luck if someone see's it and wants it though.
I shake my head when I see those, as you can simply pop the tire off and leave the chain where it is. It would mean that nobody's going to ride off on it, but a flatbed truck would solve the issue.

Still, even if it takes a few minutes to cut through any locks with a cordless angle grinder, that doesn't mean jack if nobody gives enough of a damn to call the police when they see that happening.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

Keeping it covered is by far the most important. Out of sight, out of mind. It's the best prevention.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Cover indeed, and maybe add a little SurPrise!! underneath? I have one of these: (colors choices avail)
image.jpg
image.jpg (38.25 KiB) Viewed 3529 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
fullmetalscooter

Post by fullmetalscooter »

At home the best security is one of the floor plates that bolt into the pavement. Next best is spending the cash and installing a GPS tracker. They run 100 bucks up but most will want you to pay for a month data plan . They work by linking to you phone or computer and you text them. You then get text back on where it s at. To stop someone hot wiring you bike you can install a ether a electrical fuel pump cut off switch or do the same to ignition. Old school trick just google on how to do it. Basically they can start you bike but after less then 1/3 of block it just going to die and not start again.
RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RideLondon »

Get a bright sticker that reads 'This vehicle is tracked at all times'. Thieves will think it's a courier bike and won't bother.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Ahh...very affordable solution Sacha. I believe that might work :P One that glows in the dark slapped on windscreen and both sides of the cover that
Reads: "Courier Vehicle. Employer Track Device Installed Operating 24/7/365"......Please, take me! :lol:

Just joking. (Leave out the "please, take me" part).
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mr Elbows
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Mr Elbows »

Why not get one of those super thick Krytonite™ brand chains with a U-lock and wrap it around the back of your wheel and a light pole?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PaY3jSHcjY

I bought one of these pager alarm locks for mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GkoKpzVm-k
Red 2013 Honda PCX 150 - very first scooter as of [2/12/15]