Fitting a 12V charger adapter and LED night lights...

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

coetzee.kruger
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Fitting a 12V charger adapter and LED night lights...

Post by coetzee.kruger »

Hi guys,

So it is no major secret that I am no electrical genius, but I have a 12V adapter that is deemed suitable for installation on my PCX150.

I am planning on fitting it under the seat on the battery cover as per another gentlemen's idea. My only question, of which I just want to be sure....It connects to the battery via crocodile clamps, so if I leave the clamps on the battery and there is nothing plugged into the adapter, will the battery systematically discharge over time, or not?

This is but one of many modifications I am planning. Next will be blue night lights under the fairing and at the engine bay, and would want to put them on the same circuit as the headlights(so if anyone wants to add advice for that modification please do!)

I thank you all in advance!
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Re: Fitting a 12V charger adapter and LED night lights...

Post by Alibally »

Hello,
If you fit a 12 socket there's no voltage drop with nothing plugged in unless there's an Led on the socket but then it won't be very much.
If your going to wire it a more reliable connection would be to use ring terminals onto the battery terminals instead of crock clips. You'll get your battery cover closed as well.
See the photo for an example of what I mean.

If your going to disconnect the battery it's negative off first, then connect the positive then negative on last. It'll stop you shorting anything.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1426185999.176575.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1426185999.176575.jpg (44.49 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
coetzee.kruger

Post by coetzee.kruger »

Sweet! That is a better idea. The only thing I was really worried about is the battery discharging.

I'll re-source a socket then :)
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

You can use the same socket if you wanted. You can get crimp on connectors from car accessory shops. You just need to make sure they are fitted correctly with a pair of crimping pliers.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I bought an adapter that has a water proof cover and i installed mine close to where the gas cap cover is, just to the left and up some. It fit nicely there. Under the seat works nicely also, especially if you buy a battery tender and leave its connectors attached to the battery. Then you can plug the adapter into those leads. The 2nd picture may be one of thosethat plugs in like that.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I wouldn't use crocodile clamps, they'd fall off eventually. You want to crimp on forked or flat circular connectors like the ones on the plug Alibally linked.

I have no drain from my socket and foglights. I didn't ride my PCX for more than a month and cranked it up earlier this week with no problem. :D

My foglights:

Switch on bars:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
coetzee.kruger

Post by coetzee.kruger »

Now THAT is pretty awesome!!