Long Distance Commuting

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

GPDW
Year: 2015
Color: Matte Grey

Long Distance Commuting

Post by GPDW »

Hello All,
I've been riding my PCX125 (2015 model) for a few weeks now, and have been enjoying it as my 'starter' bike.
I've just accepted a new job that requires a 49 mile trip there (and back).

So my real question is this - as the journey is on non-highways, and I can physically put up with the 1hr 30 minute ride - is this a possible commute on my bike? (Thinking of an alternative to using trains which could add another 30 minutes to my commute).

All opinions welcome :)

PS. I don't have my full license yet, having only recently passed my CBT, so moving to something beyond a 125 isn't possible yet.

Cheers
Gary
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Re: Long Distance Commuting

Post by Alibally »

I would just try it and see how you get on. I think the bike won't have a problem with it, but it won't take long to rack up the mileage, bearing in mind the service intervals are relatively short. If you can service it yourself then that's maybe not so much of a problem.
GPDW

Post by GPDW »

Alibally wrote:I would just try it and see how you get on. I think the bike won't have a problem with it, but it won't take long to rack up the mileage, bearing in mind the service intervals are relatively short. If you can service it yourself then that's maybe not so much of a problem.
Yes I have to admit that the servicing side was of concern.. And I don't want the bike dying out after a year. Thanks for your advice!
coetzee.kruger
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by coetzee.kruger »

Although I have not undertaken long distance trips myself just yet, I have learned of quite a few examples here of people riding their PCX's for extended distances. I am communicating with a fellow that does a 800km trip every few months, and he has not had any problems yet...
StuAff

Post by StuAff »

I did 60 miles as a first ride on my PCX, bringing it back from the dealer on Friday. Took me a couple of hours but I was taking it easy- hardly went above 40 mph, and I was definitely riding in my limits and not the bike's. My own commute is 42 miles there and back, and I'm sure it'll be a lot more quicker and more comfortable doing it than the 50cc I've been using. Servicing costs in the warranty period will be relatively high for me with that mileage but much less than the alternatives (season ticket on the train's £2,000 a year!). 100 miles a day's a hell of a commute regardless of method, but if you can handle it the bike certainly will.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I used to commute to work on a PCX.
When I first bought it my round trip commute was up to 50 miles a day mainly on minor roads.
Circumstances changed and I had to use it for a 56 mile round trip on A-roads.
After a year and a half of this I decided it had to go, not because the distance was too great, but because it simply wasn't fast enough.
If you are mainly on roads where the traffic is doing 60+mph I would suggest that a PCX (or any 125 scooter) simply isn't enough.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
StuAff

Post by StuAff »

gn2 wrote: If you are mainly on roads where the traffic is doing 60+mph I would suggest that a PCX (or any 125 scooter) simply isn't enough.
I'd agree- the roads I've got to use for my commute have a max 50 mph limit, mostly 40 or less. If that's the case Gary you should be fine.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I commute 44 miles a day and did it on a 49cc. THAT was inadequate but somehow I was able to do it for five months but it was a pain staying on surface streets. I have a CBR 125R now and commute all day on the freeway no problems. I do have to stay in the slow or middle lane when it's not rush hour to avoid impeding traffic although I've never felt unsafe in this situation. During rush hour however I am just speeding down the high occupancy vehicle lane which I'm permitted to be in and passing all the poor single occupancy vehicles stuck in the general lanes.
Last edited by dkazzed on Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
GPDW

Post by GPDW »

Many thanks to all of your responses. A lot to consider..

In terms of speed, I don't think I'll be going over 60.. More likely average at 50mph.. So I think the general consensus is that the bike can handle it, so I'll give it a go and see if I can handle it! And of course, keeping a careful eye on service intervals

Again, thanks to you all for your advice
danieljw
Regular User
Regular User
Color: RED

Post by danieljw »

The bike will handle it fine it's weather you could handle the 60mph limit, keep it serviced and it will just keep going and going..

Just remember you will go through the like of tyres a lot faster due to mileage
Honda PCX125 - 1000miles

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

GPDW wrote:Hello All,
I've been riding my PCX125 (2015 model) for a few weeks now, and have been enjoying it as my 'starter' bike.
I've just accepted a new job that requires a 49 mile trip there (and back).

So my real question is this - as the journey is on non-highways, and I can physically put up with the 1hr 30 minute ride - is this a possible commute on my bike? (Thinking of an alternative to using trains which could add another 30 minutes to my commute).

All opinions welcome :)

PS. I don't have my full license yet, having only recently passed my CBT, so moving to something beyond a 125 isn't possible yet.

Cheers
Gary
Possible? Yeah it's possible, would be pretty boring to be on the saddle for 1 1/2 hrs(is that one-way?). As mentioned though, servicing and parts replacement(tires, oil, air filter) would be more frequent. Gas too would be an issue, as you'd probably need to fill up every couple of days. I suppose the PCX would be cheaper than a car in that respect.
GPDW

Post by GPDW »

Hello,
Yes, it'll be a 1 and a half our commute there (and another 1 and a half hour back). I don't drive because of a knee injury and while the train is possible, I'm looking at a few changes and a £3,000 season ticket (not to mention an extra hour commuting each way)

Probably once I pass full test (probably towards the end of the year) I'll get something with a little more 'oomph' but for now it looks like (the boredom of commuting aside) this will be my best option.
Plus, I'll go ahead and confess.. I love riding my PCX lol.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

GPDW wrote:I don't think I'll be going over 60.. More likely average at 50mph.
Its the speed the other traffic goes at which is the problem.
On 70mph dual carriageway A-roads you'll be getting passed by trucks and on 60mph single carriageway A-roads you'll be holding up queues of traffic.
This leaves you quite vulnerable to the stupidity of impatient morons performing some very risky overtakes.
Much better to be on a 250+cc job and able to keep up with the flow imo.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
YorksForzaRider

Post by YorksForzaRider »

Whist I've only done it a couple of times, I have commuted 43 miles each way. The PCX has had no problems, but it's a long time being on it for an hour and half. Main issue I've had is hold ups, and knowing I can't be late.

I mainly go on 60mph roads, but there is one 70 mph duel carragway. Providing I keep the speed up around 50-55 , I've had no problems yet, but you always get an idiot overtaking ( but they would if you were doing 60 as well)

I'd give it a go, and see how it feels.
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by Tom192 »

Got mine when I was commuting hour each way 70 mile round trip, bike handled it fine just make sure you budget for decent gear to make the journey more pleasant did this commute for approx 6 months then dropped down to 22 miles each way. Have recently just moved stores again now and am looking at starting to use the bike for a 70 mile round trip daily.

Good news is with the new model you will need to fill up less!
mjherrick66
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by mjherrick66 »

Here is a tip, you DO NOT need to service the bike as often as the manual says! I was faithful to taking it in and had 2 valve adjustments on it (costing me over $200). The mechanics told me a couple times that you do not need to do this. If the bike is running good, keep running it, you will be fine. I have a 2011 and put over 17k on it. I had 2 valve adjustments and annual oil changes, and on my 2nd set of tires (3rd rear tire!). I put the battery in a few weeks ago and she runs like a top!

As far as the distance, that sounds like a long commute to me on a bike. You have to consider the weather in your area too. You do not want to get stuck in the rain at all when you have that distance to travel. I need to take a break after an hour of riding in even nice conditions. Commuting into work is a busy time with traffic, so you don't want to be dealing with that for a length of time either.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I was on my bike up to two hours one way in the rain. With the right gear, no problem. Just stay warm and dry.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

I'd very much enjoy that long of a commute on the PCX if I could. My commute is half highway, and the PCX can't quite keep up. Personally, I'd love that kind of commute, and if it was the same time in the car or the PCX, I'd choose the PCX as long as it was above freezing and not raining.

The PCX is very much up to the task. There's a member here in Florida with well over 30k miles on his PCX from similar commuting, with no major issues. At that point, you could just buy a 2nd PCX with the gas savings alone.

As for long trips, the PCX can handle distance fine. I put down over 800 miles in one day one. It was awesome. I'd do it again if I had the free time. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

800 miles on a PCX is a lot of time.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

gn2 wrote:800 miles on a PCX is a lot of time.
Not when you're enjoying it!

Yea, it was a long trip. :lol: I'd divide it into two 400-day runs if I did it again. More enjoyable. It's hard to enjoy scenery if you have been riding for the last 12 hours and still have 6 more to go.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes