Number plates

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Number plates

Post by Scottish »

Just curious as to why a lot of people when posting pics of their bike/car blur out the number plate?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Number plates

Post by gn2 »

To stop plate cloning.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

I see, crafty buggers!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

:lol: :ugeek: :lol: funny!
No I.D. online. We roll incognito. In flaming costume too. Big Brother and all....you know ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

A follow up question. Why do so many in this forum not state the place they are from as in city and in some cases city and country instead of a cryptic description? It's not wrong as such but I promise not to turn up and drink your beer if you at least put a city or town!
2014 Forza - Silver 2,300km
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Monty1952 wrote:A follow up question. Why do so many in this forum not state the place they are from as in city and in some cases city and country instead of a cryptic description? It's not wrong as such but I promise not to turn up and drink your beer if you at least put a city or town!

To stop location cloning.
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

you you wrote:
Monty1952 wrote: To stop location cloning.
You can't clone Edinburgh!
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

What about all those people that can see my plate while I'm riding down the road?
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

We had a cloning ring broken up here in the US on cars/trucks by the FBI but getting your license plate number isn't enough since that is public information and available in several places besides the back of your bike. They needed the plate number, the VIN, and any other identifying stickers and then they needed to put them on an identical car of value making it worth their while. It may be more of an issue where scooters are numerous and frequently stolen like the UK.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

tbln930 wrote:We had a cloning ring broken up here in the US on cars/trucks by the FBI but getting your license plate number isn't enough since that is public information and available in several places besides the back of your bike. They needed the plate number, the VIN, and any other identifying stickers and then they needed to put them on an identical car of value making it worth their while. It may be more of an issue where scooters are numerous and frequently stolen like the UK.
It's not
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Its really quite simple.
Trawl the web for pictures of a bike which matches your own and has the registration plate showing.
Put a copy of that plate on your bike.
You can now ride through as many speed cameras as you like, since the bike is registered to someone else, you won't be getting any fixed penalty notices in the post anytime soon.
Works for cars and London congestion charge too.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

We have break-apart stickers on the plates that are a red flag if missing to maliciousness. They cant copy those easily. I think you are less likely to be stopped here with no plate at all than with a plate missing a sticker (we don't have to display anything on new motorcycles and I passed many cops and never got stopped but a plate missing a sticker would be stopped for sure). It really indicates something bad happened and the stickers don't fall off in one piece if at all. They are also color coded and have a code number and the year. The code is very small to see unlike the license plate and you can't read it w/o being within a few inches. Without it the plate or plate number is pretty useless.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

SECoda/tbln930
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

Same in Canada - dated sticker for sure is a police focus.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

Same in Canada - dated sticker for sure is a police focus.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I used to blur out the plate but figured that while my vehicles are on any publicly accessible area, I'm not going to stop someone from taking a photo of my car with the license plate and posting it on the web. So why bother?
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Its really quite simple.
Trawl the web for pictures of a bike which matches your own and has the registration plate showing.
Put a copy of that plate on your bike.
You can now ride through as many speed cameras as you like, since the bike is registered to someone else, you won't be getting any fixed penalty notices in the post anytime soon.
Works for cars and London congestion charge too.

Yes, I'll get right on it.

No, seems like a faff so I'll not bother. I'll leave it to the crime overlords and their cunning ways to avoid the congestion charge.

On their honda PCXs
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Do they use those plate shields like they do here for the speeding cameras? You can see the plate just fine but it blanks out for the camera.

SECoda/tbln930
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

tbln930 wrote:Do they use those plate shields like they do here for the speeding cameras? You can see the plate just fine but it blanks out for the camera.
Almost like the folks up here in Toronto who "age" their plates with I guess some kind of acid/stripper liquid so they don't get caught by the cameras. I have seen drivers and riders with new plates and not so long after they have aged and rusted/corroded 50 years in about as many days. Police don't seem to care for whatever reason.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

You can be done for illegal (italic writing, 3d, etc) plates in the UK or having dirty plates or a light out in the number plate area, but police these days don't seem to care due to paper work and donuts waiting for them are the card table :) (joking). If police are pulling traffic over then you may be done, esp with L plates (UK thing) that are not up to size - I see some scoots with tiny L plates and they are illegal - they are supposed to be quite large.
If your plates are so dirty that they cannot be read properly at a distance, that too is illegal in the UK - which many people do to stop being caught by speed camera's - but once again it depends if police are around and can be bothered. Mostly they do not seem to do much which is why most drivers these days are so bad - not indicating, tail gating, pulling out, driving having not passed a test, etc - your likely to get away with it as there's not much chance of someone catching you.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

This is a cloudy (but you can still see right through it) looking shield that they sell and you can mail order that covers the plate. They seem to be effective. A far as I know they are not illegal in my state. They are starting to remove the cameras at intersections anyway because of law suits.

Here is one
https://www.beatthelight.com/Super-Phot ... ApR18P8HAQ

SECoda/tbln930