Strange recall notice

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Strange recall notice

Post by fish »

While researching Honda's recall procedures this morning - > re. the seat lift rod failures - came across this documented 'complaint':Image

Put it in the ditch after 200 miles.
No comment.
So far no reported fatalities or serious injuries or major crashes due to a failed seat hold open piston. Clock is ticking though.....
Fish

Found here:http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/Sea ... tsbCount=0
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Strange recall notice

Post by Monty1952 »

Mmmmmmm - not sure about this! Have heard of a few somewhat experienced two wheelers who had not been on a CVT bike. They forgot they did not have the clutch friction control and though they could gas it a bit with no consequences!!
2014 Forza - Silver 2,300km
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

REALLLYY strange question but why do people not just turn off their engines? my throttle got stuck on my car once... all i did was dipped the clutch, put it in neutral, applied the brakes and turned the engine off after stopping. ergo i was safe.
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

Post by stryder123 »

It would be my guess that the guy crashed his bike (the bike had no faults) and came up with that excuse in hopes someone would fix it for free. I have ridden for 50 years and have many friends that ride. I have never had a run away bike and neither have any of my friends. Sure. It is not impossible, just very very very unlikely.
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

Was just speaking to my dealership mechanic and asked him about this. He said he has had a few people with CVT claiming something like this. On discussions with them he thinks it's simply using a bit of gas with what they thought was the clutch and friction point and losing control. He went on to say he then asked them if they reported the incident to the police and insurance company. That's when they seem to just cave and move on.
2014 Forza - Silver 2,300km
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

There is a bit of a twitch in the throttle response when entering a slow corner after a decel....touch the throttle just a fraction and the engine gives an unwanted spurt of speed.
I know about this now, and watch for it - looking for sand or gravel in the corner as this happens - as this could put us on the pavement.
Idle through a very slow turning - or a touch of power - but I avoid an idling approach with an added touch of throttle in these very slow turn-ins , or else I'll find myself cornering with too much speed.
Perhaps the above rider did have something very similar happen to him on a sharp turning with some sand on the road surface. ?
Fish
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

fish wrote:There is a bit of a twitch in the throttle response when entering a slow corner after a decel....touch the throttle just a fraction and the engine gives an unwanted spurt of speed.

Fish
I've noticed this also. Figure it's a problem with the fuel injection programing...it doesn't smoothly control the fuel flow from when the throttle is fully closed at the idle position to just above idle position. Perhaps Honda has improved this on more recent production Forzas. That "jump" can come as a bit of a surprise.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Bear in mind that the clutch disengages if you slow down below 14mph.
With the clutch disengaged and the scooter rolling you have to be careful how you reapply the throttle.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

I really hope this was a accident ,if it turns out to be a recall this bike is gone too many problems for a new bike I think honda rushed to get this new model out, some have complained about rear wheel recall ,fuel pump recall ,oil leak from water pump( side case) seal torn seal due to burr on water pump shaft, seat falls down due to bad compressed gas cylinder,one rear foot pegs not held up in perfect position rattles,in my case left side panel retainer clips breaking it took over 3 months to get the part, speedo innacuate and now a case of unnatended acceleration! I have never had any ( new ) vehicle with so many problems , with less then 10000 kilometers I have had 7new motorcycles and scooters and 5 new cars plus 9 used cars in my life . With a total of 4 new honda motorcycles and scooters and 9 honda cars.
AKforza
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: red

Post by AKforza »

There is only one recall on the books and my bike operated without incident prior to and after the new pump was installed, nor have I experienced any of the issues you addressed with the exception of the seat issue. I will have that taken care of at the next scheduled maintenance although I don't find it a big deal to deal with. My overall impression of the forza is very positive and if you got a bike that's a major pain then get rid of it if your unhappy. Life's too short have fun.
beegmouse
Regular User
Regular User

Post by beegmouse »

It's not just about re-calls.

I have had three separate warranty issues and one recall within 6 months of purchase.

Seat Gas Strut, twice
Warped front brake disc
Fuel Pump x 2 (The first replacement didn't work)

The gas strut they won't do a recall for as it is bad design, the struts are fine.
The saddle weighs a tonne and they didn't give the strut enough leverage to take into account aging of the strut. It isn't something they can change cost effectively and they don't legally have to. What you are within your rights to do is return the bike as not fit for purpose.

Brake disc is bad luck

Fuel pump is a bad supplier which is acceptable on a new range. but the replacement should have worked off the bat.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

It's a complaint and not a recall. At 200 miles (limited experience) it does sound like a normal CVT behavior possibly after coming off of the clutch and then hitting the gas. Remember the Toyota acceleration problem had many complaints filed but it turned out only one was actually a problem with the cars (the rest were the owners :lol: )
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
starkdog24
Year: 2011 PCX125
Color: White

Post by starkdog24 »

If he was wearing gloves, perhaps he did not feel the throttle correctly as was applying the accelerator? I'm probably digging too hard here because it sure sounds like a user error, not a problem with the bike.
Patrick

2011 PCX125
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Jerkiness on and off the throttle can be an issue with fuel injection. Especially if the bikes are set lean for emissions