Touring Mods

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Re: Touring Mods

Post by sendler2112 »

For talk and listen you may want a blutooth helmet comm. And one for your riding partner so you can chit chat while you ride. But it would take some ingenuity and mods to kake the helmet speakers that come with the kits isolating in any way. Even with my quiet Schuberth if I used my comm set up a lot, I would cut the wires and put in a jack so I could use my canal phones.
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

I finally installed the led lights. 18w per side and the bike handles the draw just fine. I estimate 75% more light output over just the headlight. These are both spots and after running them for the past two weeks, no one has flashed me which tells me I am probably not blinding anyone. So thankyou everyone for your feedback in prior posts. Thanks to you all who have already done this. I has given me a strong start on this project. :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (79.12 KiB) Viewed 3434 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (100.37 KiB) Viewed 3434 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (123.31 KiB) Viewed 3434 times
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by MikeP »

Managed to get out and do a comparison on the 18w x2 lights to the stock 2013 headlamp.

The area is rural with no supplemental lighting. The orange cone on the horizon is at 33 yards.

The dim light in the picture is the stock headlamp, bike is running as it sits on the center stand.

The bright light is with the 18w x2 spot lights and the headlamp. Again bike is running.

I cant imagine driving at night without this mod. Hope this helps someone. Cheers :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (124.7 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (101.65 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Those have added a lot more light, especially to the sides. And you can see how much more conspicuous the ultra white color is to oncoming driver's compared to the yellowish headlight in the photos from the front. It is much safer with those leds as daytime running lights.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MikeP wrote:Managed to get out and do a comparison on the 18w x2 lights to the stock 2013 headlamp.

The area is rural with no supplemental lighting. The orange cone on the horizon is at 33 yards.

The dim light in the picture is the stock headlamp, bike is running as it sits on the center stand.

The bright light is with the 18w x2 spot lights and the headlamp. Again bike is running.

I cant imagine driving at night without this mod. Hope this helps someone. Cheers :)

That is hugely impressive
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

Mike - should help you pick out the bears sitting in waiting on the island!! :lol: :lol:
2014 Forza - Silver 2,300km
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Do they walk into the light when they are hungry? :lol: We have a some black bears where I ride but i always think of avoiding smacking a deer for some reason. A trucker just hit a 650 lb bruin with an 18 wheeler about a month ago. o_O I suppose those are brown bears. :P
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I thought the lights were great for daytime viability as well as at night, so I keep mine on while riding during the day time as well as at night. Dave had demonstrated their brightness to me one night. That is why I bought them. There are actually streets around here that have bad lighting, with much of the ride being in the dark at night. So when I saw how bright those lights were I didn't hesitate ordering them. I am glad that I did, though my wife says she doesn't want me to put any on hers. I have a switch on mine for turning them on and off but the lights are otherwise connected directly to the battery. One day a mechanic accidentally turned them on during a daytime test ride, and he left them on until I noticed that the bike wouldn't start. They do drain a battery fairly quickly. I may end up rewiring them to only come on if the key is turned on. Otherwise, they are great visibility aids plus great for night use. I think any extra front lights are important on a motorcycle or scooter. You need to be seen and to see well at night as well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by MikeP »

We don't have problems with bears, but the dear are everywhere. Especially during hunting season, they all come down from the mountain into town where it is safe. :lol: One time I came home from hunting, got skunked, only to find a 3x3 sitting on my front lawn. That was a test in self control. But seriously, during the rut, I see little herds in peoples yards everywhere.

I also wired directly to the battery. I did not want to tamper with the factory wiring. Also use the lights in daytime too and found out they are awesome in the fog. I can tell by the reaction of the drivers on the road that they see me sooner than before the mod. Also so far nobody has hi beamed me which tells me I am not likely to be blinding anyone.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

They do the very same thing here. We are the only fools in the woods during the season. The deer are all in peoples back yards including mine. The largest 10 pointer I have ever seen was 30 thirty yards behind my house.
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by MikeP »

10 pointer! Wow! Better your yard than mine. I would have no control. Out would come the BBQ sauce and butcher knife. I have watched all of the Rambo series. I could handle it. :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am trying to imagine someone on a scooter trying to haul a deer back home that was hit by a car during hunting season. Now THAT would be funny!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

MikeP wrote:10 pointer! Wow! Better your yard than mine. I would have no control. Out would come the BBQ sauce and butcher knife. I have watched all of the Rambo series. I could handle it. :lol:
They ignore my airguns and targets. They know they are safe (and corn fed :lol: )

MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by MikeP »

They are such beautiful animals. You are so fortunate. Who needs a TV with those to watch?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

MikeP wrote:They are such beautiful animals.
And tasty.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MikeP wrote:10 pointer! Wow! Better your yard than mine. I would have no control. Out would come the BBQ sauce and butcher knife. I have watched all of the Rambo series. I could handle it. :lol:

Bambi!!!
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

Something for your touring tool kit.....

The Stop and Go Plugger kit.

I've used these for many years now and they work better than anything I've tried (except possibly applying a Vulcanized patch to the inside of a tire).
These plugs insert in minutes without removing the tire.

The secret is the mushroom cap on the plug....

it goes into the tire folded like an umbrella, then opens up and gets pulled back against the inside face.....
inflating the tire seals the mushroom cap to the tire.

Since I've been carrying this kit, I've plugged car tires, truck tires and motorcycle tires and so far, they've sealed up first time, every time.
These work!

demo install:

Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

BRED - I assume the plugger is regarded as a permanent fix? In one car I had the manual described plugs as temporary but I ignored it and never had a problem.
2014 Forza - Silver 2,300km
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

I consider nail repairs permanent. I have been using high quality rope plugs 100's of times in car tires over 30 years and have never seen one catastrophically fail.