fuel economy improvements

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

fuel economy improvements

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Hey everyone, I was just thinking that I had not shared my fuel economy gains with the use of aftermarket variators in a thread.
I have used several different setups so here are the mpg figures with an average of half of the riding at highway speed of 65mph or more.

Stock variator: top speed 68mph gps verified mpg 75

Stock variator with 12g sliders: top speed 69mph mpg 75

NCY golden pulley w/ 13g rollers and NCY drive face: top speed 78mph mpg 85 w/ cruising at 70mph on highway

Yuminashi Variator w/ 12g rollers: top speed 81mph mpg 88 w/ cruising between 70-75mph on highway

I just wanted to share this with everyone as a way to increase fuel economy durastically. While I had the NCY variator installed I put on a Takegawa silent sport exhaust (which I love btw) and had no drop or noticable increase in fuel economy.

Most likely the Daytona and Takegawa variators will increase economy also with the effective gearing change. I would assume that Malossi's variator will also however I know nothing about what it raises the top speed to at this point.
wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Dark Silver

Re: fuel economy improvements

Post by wingz »

What diameter is the Yuminashi variator?

The reason I ask is because I measured the stock variator when I fitted my sliders yesterday and it is 117mm.
There is no room for the belt to run higher on the front pulley. The only way to increase gearing using stock pulleys now would be to use a shorter belt so it rides lower on the rear pulley.
Otherwise new variator set of larger diameter is required.

Is your new belt shorter?
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

There are some variators/pulley halves sold that are 120mm like the A-Pro ( i think that is it ) that Pcxdeamon uses. So there is a little bit of room. How much of the pulley is used by the stock set up? The old V.1 has a 3mm band at the outside that wasn't used.

I don't think anyone ever checked a stock setup to see how much of the secondary pulley was being used? Of course the belt is the limiting factor, unless it is longer of stretches.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Guys your limiting your minds. The stock variator has ramps that don't extend all the way out at a conservative angle alon with a conservative angle on the drive face. This means the belt reaches the top of he pulley fairly quickly.

In comparison most aftermarket variators have different angles on pulley halves, more agressive ramps and lighter weights. Yuminashi took this a step further. There are five visible angles on the pulley halves which enable the pulley halves to come closer together while keeping the belt inside the diameter of the pulley halves.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Guys your limiting your minds. The stock variator has ramps that don't extend all the way out at a conservative angle alon with a conservative angle on the drive face. This means the belt reaches the top of he pulley fairly quickly.

In comparison most aftermarket variators have different angles on pulley halves, more agressive ramps and lighter weights. Yuminashi took this a step further. There are five visible angles on the pulley halves which enable the pulley halves to come closer together while keeping the belt inside the diameter of the pulley halves.

I want that variator, still can't find it! :x give me a link please :|
wingz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wingz »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Guys your limiting your minds. The stock variator has ramps that don't extend all the way out at a conservative angle alon with a conservative angle on the drive face. This means the belt reaches the top of he pulley fairly quickly.

Very well, but my belt runs as far out as possible on the stock variator, there is no unused space.
The only way to increase the max gearing with variator/belt mods is to use a larger diameter variator and drive face or to use a shorter belt.

Did you measure the Yuminashi variator diameter?
IIRC it comes with an outer pulley as well as the variator.
I would expect that they are larger diameter (eg: 120mm) than the stock which is 117mm.
Can anyone confirm this?
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I will try to measure it tomorrow along with my NCY. I also ran a stock variator with sliders and had the same result. It went all the way to the outside edge. The sliders give loads of acceleration with the stock variator though don't they?
wingz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wingz »

Yes but I only tested it for about 3km so far. Nice and smooth. Dunno if I'm imagining it but the rpm drops more when easing off the throttle.
I like it.
Drifter
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 13
Color: red

Post by Drifter »

So if you change sliders on stock parts you will gain MPG?

If i get 13g DR pully sliders what will happen i have a 13 150?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Drifter wrote:So if you change sliders on stock parts you will gain MPG?

If i get 13g DR pully sliders what will happen i have a 13 150?
You can get a big gearing increase if there is no groove on the stock pulleys. If they are already worn then the belt tends not to be able to climb over the ridge to use the extra travel of the sliders. See the "Maximizing" thread. 12gm should get you to 8,000 rpm although now with all new factory vario, face, and belt I am only seeing 7,700 rpm which means I should try 11gm.
Drifter
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 13
Color: red

Post by Drifter »

88, have you tried your MPG test at slower speeds like 50 MPH with the diff parts?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

My average speed is 50 mph for 55 minutes. Just with a 5 minute blast on the super highway. In summer weather I get 99 mpgUS.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Following the logic of longer gearing, if you use longer aftermarket gears(thinking the Yuminashi eSP short gearing set), wouldn't you also get better fuel economy at the same speeds? Of course, you'd probably also need a big bore kit or only ride on flats to avoid loss of power.
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by buddy1976 »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Hey everyone, I was just thinking that I had not shared my fuel economy gains with the use of aftermarket variators in a thread.
I have used several different setups so here are the mpg figures with an average of half of the riding at highway speed of 65mph or more.

Stock variator: top speed 68mph gps verified mpg 75

Stock variator with 12g sliders: top speed 69mph mpg 75

NCY golden pulley w/ 13g rollers and NCY drive face: top speed 78mph mpg 85 w/ cruising at 70mph on highway

Yuminashi Variator w/ 12g rollers: top speed 81mph mpg 88 w/ cruising between 70-75mph on highway

I just wanted to share this with everyone as a way to increase fuel economy durastically. While I had the NCY variator installed I put on a Takegawa silent sport exhaust (which I love btw) and had no drop or noticable increase in fuel economy.

Most likely the Daytona and Takegawa variators will increase economy also with the effective gearing change. I would assume that Malossi's variator will also however I know nothing about what it raises the top speed to at this point.
With malossi's variator I have lost mpg. I have not worked mpg out but on a full(to the rim) tank on my 2012 esp I used to consistently get 110-130 miles, with the multivar installed that reduced to 95-110 miles.
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

buddy1976 wrote: With malossi's variator I have lost mpg. I have not worked mpg out but on a full(to the rim) tank on my 2012 esp I used to consistently get 110-130 miles, with the multivar installed that reduced to 95-110 miles.
Did you use the same weights between the two variators, or did you change them?

Because if I understand it correctly, lighter weights = more RPMs = more fuel consumption.

My mpg used to be 100+ with full stock, but went down to 85 mph since my variator swap, along with 13g weights.
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by buddy1976 »

Valiant wrote:
buddy1976 wrote: With malossi's variator I have lost mpg. I have not worked mpg out but on a full(to the rim) tank on my 2012 esp I used to consistently get 110-130 miles, with the multivar installed that reduced to 95-110 miles.
Did you use the same weights between the two variators, or did you change them?

Because if I understand it correctly, lighter weights = more RPMs = more fuel consumption.

My mpg used to be 100+ with full stock, but went down to 85 mph since my variator swap, along with 13g weights.
I have tried numerous combinations including dr pulleys in both the stock variator, takegawa and the multivar. Cant say i was monitoring the fuel gage tho. I use 10.5gr rollers in the multivar, this is what malossi recomend and have give me best performance results but it certainley helps guzzle the fuel alhough I still dont think 95-110 miles per tank with the added performance is anything to grumble about though!
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Maybe, depends on how far you go. I typically fill up maybe 1.3 gallons per week, which is plenty given that my tank capacity is 2.1 gallons. It's probably more of an issue if you have the smaller 1.6 gallon tank, as you'll either fill up every few days or risk running on fumes if you push it(I typically fill up at 3 bars left on the gauge).