LED Tail Light bulb

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

flavioguy

LED Tail Light bulb

Post by flavioguy »

My apologies if this has already been discussed. Searching didn't find any topics.

I'd like to replace the dual intensity tail light / brake light (PCX 150) with an LED bulb for higher visibility. My research shows the existing bulb to be a 7528. I went to Superbrightleds.com and found a 1157 replacement (see link below). Has anyone used this bulb??
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo ... ower-/814/

Thanks
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: LED Tail Light bulb

Post by Mel46 »

If you get one let us know. When I had to Change the tail light bulb on ours it was a tight squeeze. That might have been because I have big hands, but there didn't seem to be much room back there.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
flavioguy

Post by flavioguy »

Shall do....I'm lucky that I have thin fingers.

Of course, now I just need to figure out how to get INTO the tail light area! :-) All that tupperware!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Wonder if it works - the link you gave mentions the flasher unit needs to be led compatible as they are very light load compared to filament bulbs.
flavioguy

Post by flavioguy »

I saw that too but not sure how that's related. I wasn't planning on "flashing" anyone anyway! :lol:
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Ah, missed the tail/light brake/light bit and went with the compatibility warning :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

These svc. manual pics should help ya. Just go slowly removing the grabrail cover...Do as shown. You kin doit! Cheers!
(Be back with one more)
Attachments
20140207_120051-2-2.jpg
20140207_120051-2-2.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 8510 times
20140207_121410-1-1.jpg
20140207_121410-1-1.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 8510 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Two more. Sorry they are out of order.
Attachments
20140207_120051-2-1-1-1.jpg
20140207_120051-2-1-1-1.jpg (815.48 KiB) Viewed 8510 times
20140207_120051-2-1.jpg
20140207_120051-2-1.jpg (974.4 KiB) Viewed 8510 times
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
mikelx5
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mikelx5 »

i have actually it works well and no need for a flasher unless you go led turns completely different circuit. it works very well and its plug and play. i used this one though http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo ... 1644/3767/
DISOBEDIENCE CREW
flavioguy

Post by flavioguy »

Update-I installed the 1157 bulb yesterday. Works perfectly. Thanks all for the input.

And whitenoise - thanks for the manual pics.

Flavio
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Sure, no prob, glad it helped. I changed mine already too. Check/Done.
dog64bull
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by dog64bull »

flavioguy wrote:Update-I installed the 1157 bulb yesterday. Works perfectly. Thanks all for the input.
Hey how is that LED bulb holding up? Do you mind posting a pic of it? I looking at getting a LED bulb also
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have installed a lot of additional led lights on my bike since the last time i posted on this thread. Recently i purchased an led version of the 1157 and installed it. The light worked well but all of the other led lights remained on all the time from that point on, instead of only coming on when i grabbed the brake. The additional lights were in low voltage mode until I grabbed the brake, and then went to high voltage mode after I grabbed the brake. This would have been fine if that had been my intention in the first place, which it was not. When I replaced the led 1157 with a standard 1157, everything worked great. I am guessing that the led 1157 does not have enough resistance to prevent current from seeping through. That is why many places that sell led replacement tail lights also sell a special resistor to add inline. Something to think about.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I have installed a lot of additional led lights on my bike since the last time i posted on this thread. Recently i purchased an led version of the 1157 and installed it. The light worked well but all of the other led lights remained on all the time from that point on, instead of only coming on when i grabbed the brake. The additional lights were in low voltage mode until I grabbed the brake, and then went to high voltage mode after I grabbed the brake. This would have been fine if that had been my intention in the first place, which it was not. When I replaced the led 1157 with a standard 1157, everything worked great. I am guessing that the led 1157 does not have enough resistance to prevent current from seeping through. That is why many places that sell led replacement tail lights also sell a special resistor to add inline. Something to think about.
Useful advice as I've got a shed full of lights. Now I just need a scooter, maybe...
Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

Interesting read.

I just replaced the standard tungsten bulb with this 1157
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... b/Overview

And it is in fact at "full" power when idle and no brake. When brake is actuated the light intensity does not change, seems to be "full" power all the time.

So i added this in-line resistor from the "flasher" wire (solid green on the PCX) and then into the negative per the instructions. No change. The resistor is heating up so i assume it is dissapating all that current away, but the light still does not modulate or change intensity when brake is actuated. I'm a bit stumped, it could be the bulb. Although someone claimed that it worked for them "plug&play"
Old enough to know its a bad idea, young enough not to care

Fleet:
-08' Triumph Daytona 675 -(no org) #159
-05' Kawasaki KX65 -UMRA #677
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

I must only be faster than one person. Myself.
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

Did anyone figure out why the lights still stayed on instead of being low intensity before the brakes were applied, and then going to high intensity on brake application?

I'm wanting to increase/improve my lighting, but I don't want to create more problems.

Any suggestions?
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

you need a resistor on just one wire of the brake light to eliminate current bleed ....done many cars this way...

resistors on amazon
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ishkabibble »

Jge64 wrote:you need a resistor on just one wire of the brake light to eliminate current bleed ....done many cars this way...

resistors on amazon
Really?
Sh3p wrote: I just replaced the standard tungsten bulb with this 1157
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... b/Overview

And it is in fact at "full" power when idle and no brake. When brake is actuated the light intensity does not change, seems to be "full" power all the time.

So i added this in-line resistor from the "flasher" wire (solid green on the PCX) and then into the negative per the instructions. No change. The resistor is heating up so i assume it is dissapating all that current away, but the light still does not modulate or change intensity when brake is actuated.
How can I be sure that a resistor will work, when it didn't for Sh3p?
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Spec's for that say it operates from 9-14V's so it self-regulates and stays the same brightness, assuming the resistor is not large enough to limit the volts to the led unit below it's operating voltage (which is turn will limit the current passing too).
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ishkabibble »

iceman wrote:Spec's for that say it operates from 9-14V's so it self-regulates and stays the same brightness, assuming the resistor is not large enough to limit the volts to the led unit below it's operating voltage (which is turn will limit the current passing too).
Which means not much to me.

All I understand is that Sh3p put a bulb in, and it stayed bright, even after he installed a resistor.

So what do you do to get it to work properly?

And to complicate matters, how do you add two LED strips to the rear and have them stay bright, on a separate circuit from the brake light?