Help Finding Rear Tire Replacement

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Kalemakapii

Post by Kalemakapii »

Have put 5,000 miles on my scoot (2014 Forza NSS300) and am starting to think about replacement tires for the OEM Dunlop Scootsmart tires. The dealer charges a lot to order (its Hawaii) and so I have looked elsewhere on-line. I have found several different tires for the front but am having a hard time finding one for the rear (140/70/13).

I've got several questions if anyone can help...

Has anyone replaced their tires yet?
How many miles did you get on the stock tires?
If you ordered your tires on-line, can you pls share details on website, type tires, etc?

Thanks in advance for the assist...

Rich
pja2536
Year: 2013
Color: BLACK

Re: Help Finding Rear Tire Replacement

Post by pja2536 »

Kalemakapii wrote:... am starting to think about replacement tires for the OEM Dunlop Scootsmart tires...
Rich,

Hi! I went through the same search just before Xmas. I have a "thing" about Dunlop tyres and so wanted a different brand.

I don't know about the US but here in Australia there was NO tyre supplier who had a tyre that was an exact replacement for the Forza's rear tyre. The only tyre available was the Dunlop and it was only supplied through your local Honda dealer. I think they are imported from Thailand (where the Forza is made).

The standard size for the Forza is 140/70-13M/C 61P. Both Pirelli and Sava had a size that was the correct width but was one size lower in aspect ratio (60 rather than 70). Several folks told me that the different aspect ratio would not have any real effect; so I chose the Pirellis.

My experience with these tyres is not good. They seem to have a "v" profile rather than a "rounded" profile (like the Dunlops). I find the scooter feels much more twitchy with the Pirelli tyres. It probably grips better but feels odd.

When these tyres wear out I will try the Sava's or go back to the Dunlop's.

Hope that helps.

Peter
Peter Anderson & Co.

"HE HAD offices in Sydney, not so many years ago,
And his shingle bore the legend 'Peter Anderson and Co.',
But his real name was Careless, as the fellows understood-
And his relatives decided that he wasn't any good."

Henry Lawson, August, 1895
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 NSS300A
Color: Seal Silver

Post by DioTiAma »

Good morning Rich. 10.300 kilometres on my scooter. Rear tire needs to be changed. I will do it on the first service (12.000 km). I'm leaning to Bridgestone Hoop B02 (140/70 - 13 M/C 61P) or even Bridgestone Hoop B02PRO (150/70 - 13 M/C 64S) or Metzeler FellFree (150/70 - 13 M/C 64S).
Kalemakapii

Post by Kalemakapii »

DioTiAma wrote:Good morning Rich. 10.300 kilometres on my scooter. Rear tire needs to be changed. I will do it on the first service (12.000 km). I'm leaning to Bridgestone Hoop B02 (140/70 - 13 M/C 61P) or even Bridgestone Hoop B02PRO (150/70 - 13 M/C 64S) or Metzeler FellFree (150/70 - 13 M/C 64S).
Thanks TDA... I might do the same. Is it okay to go with 150 instead of recommended 140 on the rear tire?
Kalemakapii

Post by Kalemakapii »

I went through the same search just before Xmas. I have a "thing" about Dunlop tyres and so wanted a different brand...

Thanks for the response Peter. My problem in Hawaii is a strange restriction on shipping tires to the islands, limiting my option to going through dealership to order expensive Dunlops.
pja2536
Year: 2013
Color: BLACK

Post by pja2536 »

DioTiAma wrote:... 10.300 kilometres on my scooter.
Hi! Just from the small bit of your Forza that we can see in the picture it looks interesting. Is it possible to show some more details.

There are NO accessories available for the Forza in Australia. Everything has to be privately imported from Europe or Asia.

I have had my bike's seat re-upholstered and now it's much better for touring (see attached). More pictures from this forum are at http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=22& ... =20#p48620.

Regards,
Peter
Attachments
2014-10-06_04.jpg
2014-10-06_04.jpg (212.01 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
Peter Anderson & Co.

"HE HAD offices in Sydney, not so many years ago,
And his shingle bore the legend 'Peter Anderson and Co.',
But his real name was Careless, as the fellows understood-
And his relatives decided that he wasn't any good."

Henry Lawson, August, 1895
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by DioTiAma »

Good morning guys. Rich, i'm pretty confident that jumping from 140/70 - 13 M/C 61P to 150/70 - 13 M/C 64S is not going to cause any problems BUT, cross this info with your mechanic. The bike on the signature is not mine Mike. As for accessories, http://http://www.bikerzbits.com/honda/forza/ and http://bike.megaparts.com/bike-accessor ... a-300.html.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Here's what gets made in the correct size, but actually finding them in the backwaters of scooterdom which is the US and A...?
http://tinyurl.com/kqayjus
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

I put 5400 miles on the original Dunlop rear tire before the steel belts started poking through. I replaced it with the 150/70-13 Metzeler Feelfree. I have over 5000 miles on the Metzeler with little sign of wear. In my opinion it's a better handling tire than the original.
Kalemakapii

Post by Kalemakapii »

AustinPCX wrote:I put 5400 miles on the original Dunlop rear tire before the steel belts started poking through. I replaced it with the 150/70-13 Metzeler Feelfree. I have over 5000 miles on the Metzeler with little sign of wear. In my opinion it's a better handling tire than the original.
Perfect..! Thanks AustinPCX, that was the info I was looking for!
AKforza
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: red

Post by AKforza »

Kalemakapii what island are you on?
sean

Post by sean »

AustinPCX, can you please tell me where you got the 150/70-13 Metzeler Feelfree tire and how much you paid?
Kalemakapii

Post by Kalemakapii »

AKforza wrote:Kalemakapii what island are you on?

AKforza... I live on Oahu on the Westside. Ride my scoot to work everyday on H1 (40 miles RT)
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by DioTiAma »

Guys, what about this one (Michelin Power Pure SC 150/70 - 13 M/C 64S)? http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/m ... ooter-tire
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

sean wrote:AustinPCX, can you please tell me where you got the 150/70-13 Metzeler Feelfree tire and how much you paid?
I've seen them on eBay for $70-$80. I paid $120 including installation at a scooter shop a mile from my house.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

List price for the Metzeler is selling for £48 at one outlet in the UK. Apparently Metzeler is a brand of Pirelli.
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by DioTiAma »

AustinPCX, have you noticed any difference with the new tire dimensions (150/70 - 13 M/C) compared to the recomented (140/70 - 13 M/C)? Is the new tire touching anywhere? On the left suspension or the filter box? Thanks for your time.
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

DioTiAma wrote:AustinPCX, have you noticed any difference with the new tire dimensions (150/70 - 13 M/C) compared to the recomented (140/70 - 13 M/C)? Is the new tire touching anywhere? On the left suspension or the filter box? Thanks for your time.
Seems to ride smoother, grip is definitely better. Not touching anywhere.
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by DioTiAma »

Yes, the ride is smoother and the grip is better but it touches when you have a passenger (even if you ride solo but you are heavy). On the middle mudguard.
AKforza
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: red

Post by AKforza »

I couldn't find the OEM rear tire anywhere or even a listing from Dunlop but you can still get them through Honda.