So, how'd that engine mod work out for you?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: So, how'd that engine mod work out for you?

Post by Pcxdemon »

Of course they would say that...it's a disclaimer so they're not liable. It says on their website that they are racing only parts, so one has to assume there is no warranty comeback to them and of course in my case they said "yes, you did 3000 miles and we advise changing head gasket every 3000 miles as they are racing parts so it lasted well" In other words...
But don't mod it beyond as what it comes in a kit unlike what I did and I'm sure it would last a lot longer...
Good luck
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

What would a 175cc kit do for a 150? Would it fit without a lot of effort? Would you have to add a new fuel management kit? I am trying to determine what would work best without a high cost for a kit that doesn't give me much unless I add a new fuel management or piggyback one
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Maybe this "changing the head gasket at 3k miles" is an indicator that the cyclinder walls so thin, that the gasket is likely to fail before too long after 3k miles. By stating that it needs to be replaced at 3k miles, he prevents a lot of phone calls from people saying they blew their head gasket, and instead sells more gaskets.

In other words, it sounds like the 3k service interval on the head gasket is to cover a design flaw.

But, I will say like I said again, that the cylinder walls at this point can get so thin that it's going to fail with much more frequency. Normally, a head gasket is not a maint item...it's a "set it and forget it" item. I've personally never heard of anyone putting a limit on service life of a head gasket.

So, for this reason, I'd be out at far as the 196cc kit. But of course I'm not looking either...just following the thread here.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

ScooterMan wrote:Maybe this "changing the head gasket at 3k miles" is an indicator that the cyclinder walls so thin, that the gasket is likely to fail before too long after 3k miles. By stating that it needs to be replaced at 3k miles, he prevents a lot of phone calls from people saying they blew their head gasket, and instead sells more gaskets.

In other words, it sounds like the 3k service interval on the head gasket is to cover a design flaw.

But, I will say like I said again, that the cylinder walls at this point can get so thin that it's going to fail with much more frequency. Normally, a head gasket is not a maint item...it's a "set it and forget it" item. I've personally never heard of anyone putting a limit on service life of a head gasket.

So, for this reason, I'd be out at far as the 196cc kit. But of course I'm not looking either...just following the thread here.
There's the rub. The Yuminashi and RzRacing 175cc kit is more aggressive, yet neither seem to have a finite lifespan on the head gaskets. maddiedog seems to think the head gasket itself is crap, though I don't believe he had to replace his yet.
Mel46 wrote:What would a 175cc kit do for a 150? Would it fit without a lot of effort? Would you have to add a new fuel management kit? I am trying to determine what would work best without a high cost for a kit that doesn't give me much unless I add a new fuel management or piggyback one
I doubt the high cost could be avoided either way with a BBK. With either kit, you need an aftermarket camshaft to alter the valve timing. With Takegawa, you need the FiCon2 unit to tweak the fuel mix. With Yuminashi and RzRacing, you need a 31mm throttle body, manifold, and larger fuel injector to tweak the mix.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Anyone know if an aftermarket throttle body is necessary?

I know Yuminashi lists theirs specifically for their PCX125 kits, but it's also listed under throttle bodies for PCX 150 eSP. However, there's an explicit warning stating that it cannot be installed on the new LED models(does not elaborate on why). I've scoured Google but haven't found any aftermarket throttle bodies other than what Yuminashi offers.

Is this part needed at all in order to install the 31mm manifold? I asked Roman from RzRacing, he mentioned I might need rewiring. He listed the parts/price for a full 175cc set, the TB was not among those, and any further queries into the subject results in him responding as though I never asked about it(how curious).

I'm not sure if the lack of it means I either can't install a part or if the fuel mix will run lean.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

*sigh*

For whatever reason, Roman had an issue with his kits, so the 175cc is off the table, and I'm not shelling out 2000 euros for the 190.

So...

Should I go with the Takegawa 170cc kit and whatever potential issues might arise with the head gaskets, or just go with a Yuminashi cam, an EFI controller to tweak the AFR to 13.5, maybe the Yumi vario(longer gearing), and just wait a few months for another 175cc kit to be available? It's a want thing, not a need thing, but I'm not sure if the cam and EFI would bump up performance(mainly interested in post 50mph acceleration) in a way I might notice without timed runs.
chainsaw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 150esp
Color: white/carbon

Post by chainsaw »

I'm at a similar point with my scoot. I picked up some yuminashi parts last year, basically all the engine parts bar the BBK and was planning to wait for the new BBK to become available. its been 7 months now since i was told it was a few weeks away. I am most likely going to go ahead with installing all the parts and just keep it at 153cc.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Lol, I'd be screaming bloody murder if I had to wait 7 months.

I'd like to hear how that install works out for you.
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

dasshreddar wrote:Have about 700 miles on my Yuminashi cam, rockers, double valve springs, intake manifold, injector and throttle body.
So far so good ;) ...better than vario and sliders alone, for sure.
I would like to make the same mod on my 125 PCX because a big bore kit I'm afraid also that it will be too much.
How about the performance? Did you see quite a good improvement?

Cheers
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

nribeiro wrote:
dasshreddar wrote:Have about 700 miles on my Yuminashi cam, rockers, double valve springs, intake manifold, injector and throttle body.
So far so good ;) ...better than vario and sliders alone, for sure.
I would like to make the same mod on my 125 PCX because a big bore kit I'm afraid also that it will be too much.
How about the performance? Did you see quite a good improvement?

Cheers
Yes I got a good improvement... not great but good. I would say about a 5mph boost.
I'm not looking at big bore kits anymore, but more towards a engine swap. 8)
For now I'm satisfied with my Yuminashi upgrades.
I would be interested to know what the improvements would be with the same Yuminashi upgrades on a 125. ;)
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

For those who did get the BBKs, did you continue to use standard gasoline, or did you have to use high octane? I would assume that, so long as compression ratio remains the same, octane number doesn't matter for the most part.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Valiant wrote:For those who did get the BBKs, did you continue to use standard gasoline, or did you have to use high octane? I would assume that, so long as compression ratio remains the same, octane number doesn't matter for the most part.
I tried all, 91-98 makes no noticable difference but e10 91 seems littlebit better in performance wise.
My comp is bit under 13 to 1..
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Alrighty! So I put my PCX in with the scooter shop, and hopefully everything will be installed by this coming Monday ^_^

Here's the list of parts:
-175cc BBK from RzRacing.
-31mm throttle body w/sensor block, manifold, injector clamp, wire loom.
-Yuminashi camshaft, high lift rockers, retainers.
-Yuminashi large injector.
-Yuminashi 2015 Speed Control Variator(looking at using 10g weights).
-Yuminashi Short Gear eSP set.
-Honda OEM Countergear(from 2013 PCX parts).
-Adjustable levers.
-Kitaco sintered brake pads.
-Teflon brake hose.
-Enigma bluetooth EFI unit.
-Givi mid-windscreen.
-AdvancePro High Rigidity Bearing Slider(basically ball bearings for the clutch spring).
-SP Takegawa Radiator Core Guard(does nothing for performance, but I got it anyway cuz of that $500 shipping requirement).

Yes, I'm pimping it :D .

It should be noted that this install is for the 2015 model, which to my knowledge, nobody ever screwed with to this extent(probably because it's still new). It'll be interesting to see if there are any compatibility issues.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Valiant how much did you spend on just the mechanical parts?
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

Wow! o_O It's no longer a PCX. :P What would you do if you get it home and it is 2 mph slower? :lol:
Valiant wrote:Alrighty! So I put my PCX in with the scooter shop, and hopefully everything will be installed by this coming Monday ^_^

-Adjustable levers.
-Teflon brake hose.
-Givi mid-windscreen.
-AdvancePro High Rigidity Bearing Slider(basically ball bearings for the clutch spring).
-SP Takegawa Radiator Core Guard(does nothing for performance, but I got it anyway cuz of that $500 shipping requirement).

It should be noted that this install is for the 2015 model, which to my knowledge, nobody ever screwed with to this extent(probably because it's still new). It'll be interesting to see if there are any compatibility issues.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

dasshreddar wrote:Valiant how much did you spend on just the mechanical parts?
Which parts are those? You mean the parts expected to improve performance, or(if I understand right) the moving parts?

I know everything on that list cost upwards of $1,500; with a decent chunk coming from shipping.

I would say the moving parts would be maybe $850, not including shipping. I'm still counting the transmission parts with that. The main BBK components would be $600.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

tbln930 wrote:Wow! o_O It's no longer a PCX. :P What would you do if you get it home and it is 2 mph slower? :lol:
I suspect the first thing I'd do is come on here and ask how to program my EFI, because I took a look at the app on my phone and couldn't really figure out what values I'm supposed to input.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:Alrighty! So I put my PCX in with the scooter shop, and hopefully everything will be installed by this coming Monday ^_^

-Adjustable levers.
-Teflon brake hose.
-Givi mid-windscreen.

Aren't you attempting to tune it rather than "pimping" it?
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Good luck with it all..
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Yep, I'll definitely need it, seeing as how I don't have it back yet Q_Q

Now I remember why I hate taking the bus -.-