Homie was right!!! 13g better than 12g rollers!

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Homie was right!!! 13g better than 12g rollers!

Post by vamootsman »

I fail to see how that's better luck when he hit 68mph in a line of traffic (that would be drafting). I know we're at the point of splitting hairs here but I'm talking speeds that can be maintained by the scooter on its own. "Real World" everyday riding, no Ninja Tucks, no drafting.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

vamootsman wrote:I fail to see how that's better luck when he hit 68mph in a line of traffic (that would be drafting). I know we're at the point of splitting hairs here but I'm talking speeds that can be maintained by the scooter on its own. "Real World" everyday riding, no Ninja Tucks, no drafting.
Again, he's riding with larger tires. I'm still waiting on my NCY drive face & roller weights before I have the parts installed, so I personally can't comment on how it gets up to speed yet.

I'm also not sure how tucking and drafting don't qualify as "everyday riding". I don't do a "ninja tuck" when riding, but I do duck my head down a bit(maybe 6 inches), and it helps with the wind. As for drafting, I often find myself riding behind another car anyway unless I'm riding in a 60 mph zone, in which case all traffic will be moving at 70+ mph and blowing by my left side.

I wouldn't obsess that much over the top speed. It's a 153cc scooter, even with various aftermarket upgrades, you'll only be able to squeeze out so much power. If you consistently find yourself needing more, maybe it's time to upgrade to a Forza?
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

I'm definitely not obsessing about. I'm actually happy with my current setup. Just keeping it grounded and realistic.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Well, seems like almost all the online stores advertise the NCY Drive Face as "in stock", but still need to contact NCY to actually see if they have it in stock. Utter BS.

As I'm hoping to get these mods done before the start of my next semester, and the fact that my 600 mile oil change was 100 miles ago, I'll be trying a drive face from webbike if my next two queries come up empty.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

SO SORRY GUYS! I've been away obsessing over car parts for my turbo Subaru and spent 3 days in the last week under my car putting on go-fast goodies! Currently, my car is sitting on the dyno awaiting a software update for the tuning software where I'll be at double the factor HP and tq on my WRX when it's done. =)

Ok, back to the NCY schtuff!

I will claim to be the NCY expert! =P

I have 2 PCX150's, both with the NCY vario, drive face and have tried 18g 16G 13G and 12G rollers. 13G and 12G the best. Both yielded virtually identical 0-60 times in the 13.5 sec range with my 150lb frame twisting the throttle.

As far as what each does, NCY vario alone gets you 4-5 more MPH, NCY drive face adds the other 6-7mph. I suppose if someone wanted to try just the NCY drive face with the stock vario and DR pulley sliders, that would be interesting.

It's my suspicion that potentially the myth about DR pulley sliders NOT working in the coated NCY variator are due to a potential incorrect installation of the sliders in the vario. 1) You have to be smart enough to put them in the right way 2) The harder part, you have to pinch the vario tightly after inserting the weights the entire time as you place it back on the shaft and keep pressure on it while you fit the belt and the drive face, otherwise the sliders can slip out of their intended position and cause the vibration. I almost wanted to buy a set of sliders rather than the rollers this last time, but they cost double, and 1 person on here has already said it didn't work for them in the past (tried it twice). So, while that person has been a great contributor to this forum, I don't know for sure if maybe he allowed them to slip out of position during install hence the lower top speed and vibration he got, or what. EIther way, I should just do it for $35...but whatever. Maybe I'll let someone else try it out that already has sliders in their stock vario who buys the NCY setup.

Now, the NCY super transmission kit. That IS WHAT WAS ON MY BIKE! I bought the bike used. Prob is, it had 1k miles on it, and it was hitting the limiter at 73mph. I ordered a new belt and removed the rear clutch unit (secondary slider) and re-installed the stock clutch and got my 79mph top speed. It did cause the bike to take off quickly with the OEM 18g sliders. But, when trying the NCY clutch unit with the 13g rollers vs 18g, it was hard to see a difference at all. And, I think the tighter contra spring was affecting top speed and accelerating belt wear as well as reducing mpg by 20-25%. So, the bell sits in my drawer in my garage, but will stay handy for when I experience a clutch bearing failure, or for whe I get bored and forget what it did and feel like experimenting again.

Anyway, glad to be back. And btw, since I'm already being longwinded; really sorry about MaddieDog's plight in this forum. Just read up on that post and that is some bullshit. But, not being a legal expert you really have no idea what you can and can't get away with and what an idiot with a good lawyer can do! So, i understand him playing it cautious. Thx for the forum and we'll continue to enjoy it! Let us know if we can help in anyway in the future!
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

And yes Homie, the 2015 will always be slower by 3mph due to an internal gear difference.

Back to top speed for a moment. Vamootsman and I run a similar setup, although I think he is heavier than me, runs a tall windscrren and a top box, and lives in a colder climate with somewhat higher elevation (minor but notable when comparing top speed potential).

I have the NCY vario, drive face and a Takegawa power silent oval exhaust. Intake snorkel removed from the outer section of the airbox and screen behind the filter removed, and two 5/8" holes drilled in the base of the airbox just underneath the OEM louvered vents (by the passenger left footpeg). I can tuck and hit 75-76mph on my 2015 and bounce of the rev limiter even going slightly up hill (1% grade) and with a 6-8mph headwind while on the freeway with moderate traffic (no drafting). Sitting up straight yields me 70mph typically. But I can gain or lose 3mph with a gust of wind or when I'm closer behind and SUV.

Guys (and gals)...the top speed on these things is just so sensitive to every last detail that it's really tough to compare between us all. Best you can do is upgrade the parts for the potential, and if you're in a hurry or want better mpg, tuck down. If you can manage to draft a fast moving box van or large truck or even semi...go for it if you don't mind the risk. I was drafting a box van going 62mph the other day btw, with a slight tail wind, and I decided to reset my MPG meter on my 2015. Drove for 3 miles at 62mph and my guage was reading 135mpg! Now remember the guage reads out in UK Imperial MPG, So, multiply that x' .855 and you get US MPG of 115.4mpg. Pretty awesome and comes close to doubling what I can get going WOT and sitting up. But, we're taling nickels and dimes saved here. More fun for the experiment, not a noticeable dent in your wallet!
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

ScooterMan wrote:SO SORRY GUYS! I've been away obsessing over car parts for my turbo Subaru and spent 3 days in the last week under my car putting on go-fast goodies! Currently, my car is sitting on the dyno awaiting a software update for the tuning software where I'll be at double the factor HP and tq on my WRX when it's done. =)

Ok, back to the NCY schtuff!

I will claim to be the NCY expert! =P
Just NCY? Because of dwindling availability, I'm looking at the AdvancePRO Drive Face on the web bike site as an alternative part.
I have 2 PCX150's, both with the NCY vario, drive face and have tried 18g 16G 13G and 12G rollers. 13G and 12G the best. Both yielded virtually identical 0-60 times in the 13.5 sec range with my 150lb frame twisting the throttle.
Caveat emptor hmm? I'm guessing it might be a tad different for someone with a 200 lbs frame and 25 lbs of cargo?

Now, the NCY super transmission kit. That IS WHAT WAS ON MY BIKE! I bought the bike used. Prob is, it had 1k miles on it, and it was hitting the limiter at 73mph. I ordered a new belt and removed the rear clutch unit (secondary slider) and re-installed the stock clutch and got my 79mph top speed. It did cause the bike to take off quickly with the OEM 18g sliders. But, when trying the NCY clutch unit with the 13g rollers vs 18g, it was hard to see a difference at all. And, I think the tighter contra spring was affecting top speed and accelerating belt wear as well as reducing mpg by 20-25%. So, the bell sits in my drawer in my garage, but will stay handy for when I experience a clutch bearing failure, or for whe I get bored and forget what it did and feel like experimenting again.
Was that on your 2013 or 2015? And I thought the secondary slider is separate from the clutch unit? Can it still be used with the stock clutch? And I wasn't mistaken to assume that a clutch bearing failure has to do with the OEM clutch itself and can be worked around with an aftermarket clutch?

As far as belt wear goes, couldn't that be mitigated if you exercise steady throttle control as opposed to(I assume) from a standstill to WOT, or vice versa(engine braking)? I honestly don't have much reason to screw with the clutch, as I believe the only stated benefit is a quicker takeoff and acceleration for getting out of a turn, which I currently don't have a problem with.

And since it's Christmas and the juiciest presents I ever get are the ones I buy for myself :D , I was thinking about getting an SP Takegawa Sports Camshaft as well. I'm admittedly going into this without a clue about what it will actually do for me, though posted reviews would suggest it's a general acceleration upgrade. I'm not looking to pop wheelies(which sounds like it would wear out a belt faster), but I don't mind getting better 0-60 speed.

I'm also guessing(from what my Google-fu on this forum turned up) that an aftermarket belt is recommended for vario swaps, something to do with belt width IIRC. Little disappointing since I've only got 700 miles on this belt.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

DeaninMilwaukee wrote:
sendler2112 wrote:The NCY can hit 80 mph down hill and runs about 8,000 rpm at 62 mph which should give a slight increase in fuel economy at that speed.
Based on those numbers, it sounds like the NCY raised the overall top ratio by almost 10%, speed at 8500 rpm hp peak from 60.2mph to 65.9mph. Thats actually huge for a easily installed part that costs only $25.

I for one will be eagerly awaiting your results, especially if you can make the sliders work.

Dean

BTW, this place seems to be in stock: http://ocfuncycles.com/ncy-drive-face-a ... -honda-pcx

This one too: http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/alum ... x-ncy.html
To update:
Both sites did not physically have the parts in stock, despite what it says on their sites.

Monster Scooter Parts immediately refunded me upon finding out that they didn't have the parts in stock.

OC Fun Cycles on the other hand, explicitly agreed to cancel my order, but as of yet haven't actually refunded my purchase, or reply to me after I notified them I would have Paypal refund to me if they don't respond(24 hours now since I told them that).
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

yak wrote:Your mention of "wheelies" reminds me of a video with a guy doing spins and loops and wheelies on his scooter. He treated that scooter like a skateboard. It was on a tv show... i don't have a link.
One thing that's been bugging me:
Wouldn't an aftermarket clutch & clutch bell be necessary in order to eliminate the lag at takeoff before you can wheelie on the PCX?

Not that I'm thinking about trying it :D , but it's hard to imagine someone popping off a wheelie with that lag there.
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

I think it would "balance" the system and also one can adjust the clutch for their personal preference.

In Canada aftermarket parts for the PCX are like hens teeth. I found scooterpartsco.com has good selection. I ordered a variator, drive belt and delta clutch, all Malossi products. The exhaust is sweet too, but have to save cash for that one.
Cost was a little more than stock replacement parts from my dealer!
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Valiant wrote:
yak wrote:Your mention of "wheelies" reminds me of a video with a guy doing spins and loops and wheelies on his scooter. He treated that scooter like a skateboard. It was on a tv show... i don't have a link.
One thing that's been bugging me:
Wouldn't an aftermarket clutch & clutch bell be necessary in order to eliminate the lag at takeoff before you can wheelie on the PCX?

Not that I'm thinking about trying it :D , but it's hard to imagine someone popping off a wheelie with that lag there.
I time the jerk on the bars with when the power kicks in. =) Trying to remember if the NCY clutch eliminates the lag. I always thought the lag was an electronic nanny programmed into the ECU. I could be wrong though.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

The lag on hard accel from a stop seems to be electronic to make the bike easier to control around parking lots. And to help take it easy on the clutch.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Jiangwayne scooter parts...North American company that sells scooter performance upgrades including NCY stuff
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

PCX 125 CANDY RED
Regular User
Regular User
Color: RED

Post by PCX 125 CANDY RED »

nribeiro wrote:Disagree sendler2112. I'm not an expert but what I can see in the tacho is: stock vario with Pulley sliders at 100 I'm around 8040 rpm at full throttle.

How do you know your RPM where do you see it ? Additional device ?
Smile - it's easy =)
PCX 125 CANDY RED
Regular User
Regular User
Color: RED

Post by PCX 125 CANDY RED »

Does any body know roller (weights) WEIGHT for the ESP 125 2013 in STOCK (from factory) tell pleasуб Im going to install 13 - is it good idea ? I've heard that STOCK rollers weight is 18 grams - TRUE ? THANKS for reply !
Smile - it's easy =)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Stock weight on the US spec 2015 PCX 150 is 16, I weighed em....put in 13’s.... HUGE DIFF off the line.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

PCX 125 CANDY RED wrote:How do you know your RPM where do you see it ? Additional device ?
You have to add a Koso tach.
http://www.amazon.com/Koso-BA003040-Min ... =koso+tach
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

No lag with mfr2 vario, wheelies all day if you're keen.