Just got my new 2013, need a bigger windscreen

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Just got my new 2013, need a bigger windscreen

Post by DeaninMilwaukee »

I commuted to work today with the pcx ( 30 degrees out! ) and the route takes I-94 for about 5 miles. On the way home I was able to top it out again and it seems that I am hitting the rev limiter at about 65 mph. Once up to that speed, it held it going uphill or down. These aren't huge hills we are talking about here, but big enough, especially downhill, that I thought I would see a few more mph but got nothing more at all. I am either going to do dr. pulley's or possibly the ncy variator to get a few more mph.

The windscreen is a godsend, stable and quiet at top speed and I can get home without freezing.

Dean
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Good riding. That is similar to my commute where I have 3 miles on the highway. The NCY vario is available but the drive face that gets the most out of it seems to be hard to get. If you get the sliders instead, you have to file the vario to get the most out of them. The NCY set up is much longer if we can get both parts.
buchaneer.nl
Color: Black

Post by buchaneer.nl »

Good to hear that the windscreen is working for you. I hope I didn't go wrong with the higher one but I can't be comfortable with the stock screen. It's not about top speed just comfort at any speed. I'm not a "croucher"!
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User

. If you get the sliders instead, you have to file the vario to get the most out of them. The NCY set up is much longer if we can get both parts.[/quote]

I had read about filing the stock variator, but couldn't figure out exactly where or how much to file. If I did that and used say 13g Dr pulley's, what sort of speed do you think may be possible?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

The other thread shows a new rev limited top spee on the stand of 129 kph, 87 mph with the filing. But the Euro speedos are way off. So maybe 80 mph displayed for a USA bike on the stand. Which means maybe 78 mph in a tuck and down a steep hill on the road. But only if your vario doesn't yet have a ridge at the outer. Mine was well worn so it is too late for me to ask the belt to climb past were it has been stopping at before. I need new parts so I might as well go with the NCY. If I can get the drive face eventually. I may just end up having to try the NCY vario with a new stock face and see if I have to file something.
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User

Does this picture show where you filed, or is it somewhere else?

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

DeaninMilwaukee wrote:Does this picture show where you filed, or is it somewhere else?
No. That was his mistake at the beginning when he had the sliders installed the wrong way around. One picture down. You have to file the inner flat where the pulley halves come together to let the vario travel further before it touches the face and stops.
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3189
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User

Ah thank you! I was aware of that mod, " milling the face " but didn't realize it was the same mod you were referring to.

My bike being new shouldn't have any ridges or other wear to deal with, it will likely have under 200 miles on it when it comes apart this spring. I am leaning towards doing this route with dr pulleys for two reasons, cheaper, and the wear advantage that dr pulley's enjoy.

Dean
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User

I've been able to ride to work with the new windshield 3 times now in temps as low as 20 and I really have nothing bad to say about its performance. I've ridden near semi's and it does get buffeted, but not really any worse than any of the motorcycles I've owned in similar situations.
Overall, it's a winner.
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User

Here's a better picture taken locked up at work.
Attachments
2014-12-20 22.48.51.jpg
2014-12-20 22.48.51.jpg (591.06 KiB) Viewed 919 times
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User

Mel46 wrote:
20141207_183827.jpg
Look what i finished tonight.. :-) Hope you can see it. Here is a picture of the scooter with them on.
20141207_183756.jpg

I went out and bought the materials to make the handguards, but immediately ran into a problem. At full steering lock my levers come within one inch of the windscreen, and the mirror mount is a full 2.5 inches inboard of the edge of the windshield edge. I can't see any way to mount these the way you did and not have clearance problems.

You can actually see the clearance in my last post above this one.

Could you explain how you made this work?

The only work-around I can see is to mount them from the bar end weight bolts instead.

Dean
Captain Tom
Color: Black

Post by Captain Tom »

I have the GIVI 323DT and I love it. It's large enough to deflect the wind about two inches over my head. It also protects my hands from cold air. I've had it up to about 64mph which seems to be the top end on mine and don't notice the bike being blown around any more than before putting on the large windscreen. The only negative would be that my eyeline is directly at the top edge of the screen but I got used to it pretty quickly. I suppose I could trim it down but whatever, it's fine as it is.

Here is a googled pic of the GIVI 323DT (not my bike)
http://blog-imgs-55.fc2.com/i/s/a/isam279/018.jpg