Selling tips ?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Selling tips ?

Post by Scottish »

When selling is it generally worth replacing battered/scratched panels? Obviously I'd get a better price but would it outweigh the cost of the new panels?
My PCX is pretty battered so I'm not expecting too much... about 3 panels need replacing and maybe the exhaust too..

Any advice peeps? (Yes I know it needs a clean!)

yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Selling tips ?

Post by yak »

We need more info. How many miles on it? What year is it? Did you buy it new?

I just finished shopping for 3 months for a used 2013. Prices were stuck around $2,800+. I finally got one for $2,300 but it had been laid-down and had scratched panels down the left side. 2,000 miles. If you have low miles, don't worry about fixing things. Just make the scooter sparkle. You could even cover some areas with decals (altho that might turn off some buyers).

In other threads, a forum member in eastern California just got $2,400 for his 2013. 4,000 miles. excellent shape. A guy in Louisiana is at $1,900 for his.... no buyers in his rural area.

One strategy for you is to start with a low price with no repairs. If that fails, start replacing panels. You want to listen to what buyers (lookers) are telling you as they call on your ad.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Body panels are cheap for these scoots. I use http://www.apachemotorcycles.com for OEM parts. You can get a new plastic cover for the exhaust for cheap too (prob under $10).

And yeah, def needs a cleaning!

Where do you live?

I just sold my other 2013 with 900 miles pristine for $2,600. Bought it back in May for $2,300 though with only 16 miles!

Id say it's not so much he price of the panels as it is the trouble to change them out! Just depends on how much your time is worth. At this point, I'm guessing your scoot in current cond is worth $1600-$1800. Fixed up, prob in th neighborhood of $2,200-$2,600. Depends on a lot of factors. If you live in a cold region, may be hard pressed to find a buyer of a scooter this time of year. GOod news is that would allow you time to get and install the parts. =)
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 VStrom 650

Post by JoshM »

If I were a potential buyer, I'd be far more concerned about the rust covering nearly every metal part of the scooter. New panels will probably accentuate this issue.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome back.
I'm "guessing" yours is a (2010) 2011? I'm guessing too that you live outside the States? Miles? Lot of guessing going on. :roll: Help us.
You're scoot is in "rough" shape for sure. Not easy on the eyes. If you want to get some halfway decent money out of it add some new stuff. Personally if it were mine, I'd let it go for cheap. But then, mine would never look like that. How much were You thinking You would ask?
Will you be replacing it with another bike? Possibly Trade it in?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Scottish wrote:When selling is it generally worth replacing battered/scratched panels? Obviously I'd get a better price but would it outweigh the cost of the new panels?
Given the general level of corrosion and scuftiness, its not worth the cost and effort to tart it up.
Just sell as is.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Agree gn2, but for what price? I have no idea. I would not consider this scoot myself but there are those that tinker and enjoy.
Sell it's bones mate, skin of little concern to fixers ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Are you buying a new bike? What's the trade in value? It give you a starting point with the price at least.
I would get some alloy wheel cleaner on the alloy parts and traffic film remover on it. Give it a good wash with a pressure wash. Yes I know it's generally frowned apon but it'll take the crap off. A spray tin of black heat proof paint on the exhaust isn't that expensive either and will tidy it up. Take the exhaust to do it, it's only 3 bolts and a couple of nuts.
1st impressions are generally the right ones and if if its at least clean and tidy it will make all the difference to a buyer.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Alibally is on the right track, if you are buying something else, just trade it in.
I got £800 for mine and it was three years old, no MoT, 18,000 miles on the clock and a broken crankcase/stand mounting lug.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Ah sorry for the lack of info, bought new in January 2011 with now almost 9000 miles on the clock, full service history (although I opted out of the valve check at the 7500 service)

I suspect gn2 is right, although it does look a LOT better when cleaned up! photos were taken just after an Inverness to Glasgow stint so it does look pretty rough I agree.

EDIT: Just read Alibaliy's post !

Not buying a new bike but looking to buy something 2nd hand up to £3,500 ish, so perhaps a trading in is best.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Selling private can be a right pain sometimes. I just sold a car on gumtree and there were so many time wasters, not showing up etc etc.
Trading in is of course easier but obviously you'll get less for it.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Scottish wrote: looking to buy something 2nd hand up to £3,500 ish, so perhaps a trading in is best.
Look no further..... www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201410278528077
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

JoshM wrote:If I were a potential buyer, I'd be far more concerned about the rust covering nearly every metal part of the scooter. New panels will probably accentuate this issue.

Looks like it has been parked in the sea
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

That is definitely the worst condition I have seen a running bike look like. We have over 10,000 miles on one of ours and it looks brand new. Still, it is a scooter so it is meant to be ridden . You are obviously in the UK. Too bad. I have some new shocks I would give you, and i would help you swap out panels...but I guess you will have to depend on those near you. I am not sure how much it costs there to get panels. Over here I could probably replace almost everything for a few hundred dollars, which would then raise it's value considerably. People who buy scooters for everyday transportation want to be proud of their 'wheels'.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

you you wrote:
JoshM wrote:If I were a potential buyer, I'd be far more concerned about the rust covering nearly every metal part of the scooter. New panels will probably accentuate this issue.

Looks like it has been parked in the sea
Maybe frozen in the sea, half in and half out. :D

I only owned mine for 3 months, but we get plenty of salty air right next to the ocean, and mine is still perfectly shiny after having been through 2 tropical storms.

I'm guessing it's parked outside quite a bit with no rain cover.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I hate to see the rest of it. My brother took an old snowmobile in bad shape and gave it a send off across the ice on Lake Superior in northern Wisconsin. They duct taped the steering and throttle. It went about a mile on the ice before the ice ran out. o_O
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It was the salt air that duct taped the bike..and made a mess of the plastic...ok, those were just victims of fowl play, or horse play, or some creature's play... ;-/ but rust sure is doing its share.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

You're all correct, its parked outside all year round with no rain cover, I used to use a cover until it blew over a few times (one of the perks of living in rainy windy Scotland), its also been pushed over by kids, so yeah If I had a garage it would be in pristine condition, having said that I could have showed it a bit more TLC over the years..

thanks for the link gn2 but I think its a bike I want, I might even get super sensible and get one of these http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

it probably makes more sense to get something basic than spend 3.5k on something thats going to sit outside rusting away.
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

If I was to get some new panels etc are there any good websites for uk delivery?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

New panels are a waste of money unless you do a full nut and bolt restoration.
Bike harder to keep decent looking than a scooter.
Your link is broken, when posting links from autotrader you need to chop off the bit after the advert number ;)